Thread: M-1941 Tent Stove

Default M-1941 Tent Stove

Has anyone out there used an M-1941 tent stove? This the the military surplus dual fuel stove that looks like a beer keg. It can be fitted with a burner that will burn gasoline, diesel, or jet fuel. I have been looking for a oil stove that doesn't need electricity, and was wondering if 1) it's filthy dirty 2) makes any heat, and 3) will burn my cabin down. I've seen some youtube videos and it seems like the flame is pretty clean, but let's be real, this is a US Government stove.

I used them in the military in tents and Quonset huts, you will smell the oil and or fuel from time to time. Its up to you but I would not put that in a cabin that is very tight. They were designed for tents and for some sort of ventilation and I am sure over time you will blacken the inside of your cabin with soot.
    Good luck

Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

That's kind of the response I expected. Thanks for the info.

Look into the Nordic Stove for you cabin. I have one in my cabin at the lodge and it does a nice job. Don't flood it as clean up is a pain and the relight will get hot and glowing and making some noise until it burns the residual oil but if you stay on top of it it does a good job. It does need good head on the fuel and long stack but it brings combustion air from the outside which is nice.

image.jpgI use one and i really like it. There was a learning curve. Its all about draft. Everyone calls the fuel assembly the carburetor but it is only a fuel meter. The innards of the stove is where the air mixes with the fuel and it requires good air flow. The vent opening is 4 inch. I had some vertical, a 90, 6' horizontal, another 90, and then 8 more feet vertical. Burned terrible and blew tons of soot out the stack. I believe the stack is intended to go straight up only. I upsized to 6 inch right at stove outlet and now burns great. You don't want to pull combustion air from inside. Drill a hole and run the stub of fuel pipe out that instead of through the little door. Keep the door shut. I then drilled a 5" hole and ran a straight piece of 5" horizontally through the wall for intake. The combustion chamber will be under a negative and there will not be any exhaust pulled into the structure nor any cold air being pulled in the cracks. You can make that thing red hot if you want. I burn all my old gas and my unused mix from my boat. Gas obviously burns hottest. I have never had any problems but for safety i prefer to burn oil when i am sleeping. I have fashioned an adaptor to fit my 5 gallon cans so i can switch back and forth in about a minute. I have this in a 12 by 20 quonset hut style tent sitting on a platform and insulated with 1/4 inch bubble wrap. I was there one night at true -40 and kept temp at 70 without being anywhere near wide open. I have cleaned it once in 5 years only because i sooted it up the first year with the stack issue. It is low mass and heats up quickly but also does not retain heat either. I don't have anything to compare to but i suspect it is not necessarily fuel efficient. For my application i would still use it if i was starting over. Having said all this i think if i was heating somewhere nice then i would get something nicer looking and definitely get a model with glass for the cheery flame and the light.

Central peninsula, between the K-rivers

I like your set-up! It's like the anti-rustic cabin, but looks comfy and efficient!