Thread: Buffalo with bow and arrows, dances with wolves..

Default Buffalo with bow and arrows, dances with wolves..

I kind of like the movie. The hunting scene is hard to watch though. Shooting buffalo on the run with an arrow and they immediately hit the ground like they were spine shot with a .375

My great grandmother said when the buffalo was shot right in front of the hump stright down on the spine the buffalo would drop sometimes dead but sometimes alive but it did not move. This was just done on single buffalo a rider on both sides. She said she never saw shooting like on movies. Herd were chased to revines or cayons and bunched up and then shot at. After the shooting just a minute or so the buffalo were let to run off and the sick ones picked out as they fell behind. I have pulled a few of those old bows and most in the thirty to forty pound pull range with about a twenty four inch pull but my grandfather said when he was young some bows he could not pull. My great grandmother was born in 1860 and died in 1966 so she saw alot.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    My great grandmother said when the buffalo was shot right in front of the hump stright down on the spine the buffalo would drop sometimes dead but sometimes alive but it did not move. This was just done on single buffalo a rider on both sides. She said she never saw shooting like on movies. Herd were chased to revines or cayons and bunched up and then shot at. After the shooting just a minute or so the buffalo were let to run off and the sick ones picked out as they fell behind. I have pulled a few of those old bows and most in the thirty to forty pound pull range with about a twenty four inch pull but my grandfather said when he was young some bows he could not pull. My great grandmother was born in 1860 and died in 1966 so she saw alot.
    Great grandma made it to 106!? Wow, you've got some good blood in you Will. I guess we'll expect to see you on the forums for many many years to come.

Scott

I have spine shot a few deer from above. Yea if you hit an animal right it will drop them. Would of loved to hear stories from your grandma Amigo.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Grand was a great women. She fell on ice comming down her outside stairs and broke her hip,couple months later she was gone.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

hey Will

I am missing the good folks of Wrangell. That may well be the friendliest, most down to earth town in Alaska. I really enjoyed working on my boat there. Even the teenagers drive responsible, and courteously. Granny sounded like a tough girl.

Hard to imagine getting enough penetration to get to the spine of a buffalo. I am sure it can be done. I wonder who the consultant was for that movie.. they probably didn't listen to him anyway. Most the humans shot in the film absorbed 5 or 6 arrows before folding.

Best part of the whole movie was the line. Somebody back east saying why don't he write

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvp71LGVISs