Thread: Indian Potato

Default Indian Potato

Yesterday we noticed the Indian Potato had popped up and was growing out on the gravel bar. The plants had enough leaves to show the veins on the underside so we could identify it from the similar, poisonous Bear Root. My son dug up several plants and we had plenty for a few meals.

Unfortunately, I didn’t snap a picture of the roots we gathered, but I did find a picture of the flowers that will start blooming in the next week or two. Actually, by looking at the flowers even a novice gatherer can usually tell whether it is indeed Indian potato or it’s look a like; Bear Root.
    http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~soakbear/indian-potato.jpg

Here’s how we prepared the Indian Potato for stir- fry…
    After the roots were thoroughly washed and scrubbed we chopped it into bite-sized pieces. Then I boiled it for a half an hour in salted water. After draining the water, the pieces were sautéed in butter for about 10 minutes. Finally, chopped fireweed, garlic, a little sesame oil and a dash of soy sauce were added to the cooked potato, and I stirred it for another minute or two. It was excellent served over rice with the first fried grayling of the season. It is just the start of some good summer eating!
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Default Where to look. . .

Granny,

You mentioned a gravel bar . . where should one look for Indian potato? What kind of terrain, environment, etc.?

No morels here yet, but I've been having fun with Labrador tea and fireweed.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Granny,

You mentioned a gravel bar . . where should one look for Indian potato? What kind of terrain, environment, etc.?

No morels here yet, but I've been having fun with Labrador tea and fireweed.

Yes, Look for Indian Potato on river gravel bars. They like the sandy, rocky soil, at least around these parts. I will get out and snaps some photos of the plants and the roots to share soon (ah, but today it is raining).

The Fireweed is perfect for picking right now, and we are enjoying it too!

Grandma Lori

Default honey/brown sugar indian potato

We tried a different way to cook Indian potato the other night, and I must say it was very good. Honeyed/brown sugar Indian potato! Prepare the potato as in the first recipe above, boil 1/2 hour and drain off the water. Then add 3 tablespoons each honey and brown sugar, 2 tablespoons butter and some salt and pepper to taste. Cook on high heat, for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally until the sauce glazes the potatoes. I have done this with carrots many times, but the sweet glaze was superb with the Indian potato too!