Thread: River Suggestions....

Default River Suggestions....

A small group of experienced boaters (Grand, Salmon rivers, other lower 48 western rivers) are trying to narrow down a trip for next summer....late july or august.

We are looking for a remote river with some whitewater and some fishing. Most important is adventure and remoteness..... Any thoughts on the rivers below? Looking to do a 14ish day trip. Any others we should be thinking about?

Stoney River (Alaska Range) - Can't seem to find much info on this river....

Kisaralik river (South Western AK) - seems to have a good mix of fish and whitewater but "a lot" of use?

Hula Hula (Brooks Range) - Good whitewater, but fishing? Can't find really anything about the char or other species? Also seems to get some outfitting?

Kobuk River (Brooks Range) - Looks like good fishing but a lot of traffic?

Any other rivers in the Brooks worth a look?

Thanks!!

Noatak, killer char fishing lower down. There are some monster lakers that require a bit of a hike.... If I told you where, I'd have to kill you...

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado_Ryan View Post
    A small group of experienced boaters (Grand, Salmon rivers, other lower 48 western rivers) are trying to narrow down a trip for next summer....late july or august.

We are looking for a remote river with some whitewater and some fishing. Most important is adventure and remoteness..... Any thoughts on the rivers below? Looking to do a 14ish day trip. Any others we should be thinking about?

Kisaralik river (South Western AK) - seems to have a good mix of fish and whitewater but "a lot" of use?

Hula Hula (Brooks Range) - Good whitewater, but fishing? Can't find really anything about the char or other species? Also seems to get some outfitting?

Thanks!!

Kisralik will still be very remote. You may see some other people but would be a great mix of what you are looking for.

I would also look at rivers outside of Kotz they have very good char fishing and would be a remote trip.

Thanks for the ideas....

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    Kisralik will still be very remote. You may see some other people but would be a great mix of what you are looking for.

I would also look at rivers outside of Kotz they have very good char fishing and would be a remote trip.

Traffic it's a bummer. Check out the Chili! No used as much as some. Flows in to the Mul. PM Brian Richardson.

Your definition of crowded is way off what it means on the Kisaralik or Kobuk. I am eager to do both. We did the Kwethluk last year and used Papa Bear Adventures for transport. Stayed at their lodge the night before and after and recommend it. Great folks. While there we saw a DVD of a float on the Kisaralik and talked with two guys that just got off the river. Sounded great for folks that can safely negotiate the falls. Crowded? Doubt it would be among the ways you might describe this trip afterwards. Check out Papa Bears website.

Dan

The Stony River (tributary to the Kuskokwim) is glacially fed so it might not be the best choice for fishing unless you're targeting some of the non-glacial tributary mouths. Access to the Stony is best done by flying into Two Lakes and floating the Necons River down (1 day float) to the Stony. The Necons is clearer (although lots of glacial flow into Two Lakes as well) and has a nice king salmon run. Telaquana Lake / Telaquana River to the Stony is another option but the Telaquana River is generally lower gradient and probably not the whitewater river you're looking for. If interested in that part of Alaska and wanting to make fishing more of a priority, opt for the Chilikadrotna (the "Chili" that BlueMoose referred to). Put in at Lower Twin Lake, take out on the Mulchatna River at Marabou Landing. Total float time is much shorter than 14 days but you could certainly make it a longer trip if you prefer, spend a day or two fishing / exploring Twin Lakes. It gets floated each year but I doubt you'd see anyone else during your trip. Rainbows and grayling with some salmon depending on your timing. Good luck.

Jeff

I remember reading about a guy that used to work at Alaska Raft and Kayak floating and fishing on the Salmon River, a tributary of the Aniak River.
    Seems like they caught a bunch of kings on fly rods. Might be worth checking into.

Lefty you are correct the Salmon is a neat river however couple of commercial operations running it during prime time now versus back in the day. Still a great trip though just a little more crowded then it use to be.

Ryan, in this day and age of easy access to anyplace in Alaska your finding a river with all 3 criteria: whitewater, good fishing, and remoteness (no crowds) is going to be next to impossible. If they have the first two on your list, they will not have the third (no crowds), and be suitable for a 14 day trip. I think you may find some small rivers or creeks but not really long enough for your 14 days, unless you want to spend the majority of it camping in one spot. But after all, you should have your campsite to yourself, if you can ignore another party occasionally floating by your site, it should be doable. In most cases, a crowd on a remote river up here isn't anything close to a crowd on a river in the lower 48. Bud
    Wasilla

Our version of crowded on an AK river means seeing some every few days (unless you float the Gulkana). Lol. You'll have a great adventure whatever river you choose. Come prepared for bugs & cool rain. You will experience both on any extended river trip during the summer and you'll revel in the perfect days without either.

Thanks!!
    I've floated the Hula Hula, two other north slope Brooks Range rivers in the Arctic Refuge (Kongakut and Marsh Fork of Canning), the Noatak and the Kobuk. You will find mainly Arctic char on the north slope rivers, plus spectacular scenery and the Porcupine caribou herd if you are there during spring breakup or fall migration. HH has the best WW. Spendy for all destinations: think $1500-1700 per person for the air charter from Fairbanks, and that was for IKs and fairly lightweight gear, not heavy rafts with laden coolers, dry boxes and Paco pads.

There are Sheefish on the Kobuk, but downstream of the ww at the Walker Lake outlet and two canyons. The river would be a boring trip in a raft below these points due to Class I meanders and strong upstream winds. A decent shorter/cheaper ww trip closer to the road system is Lake Creek, a clear-water (except after rains) salmon-bearing trib to the Yentna. The Talkeetna can be fun, too, and has salmon & trout in lower reaches.

Good luck, have fun & stay safe --

Thanks for the suggestions... much appreciated.

The Chili sounds like a good mix. The Karen Jettmar book makes it sound like there is alot of impact guessing these are over stated?

Given the group that is committed we are leaning more towards - fishing and solitude and less towards whitewater.

Any thoughts on the Hoholitna River?

Also any thoughts on floating the Chili down past the confluence with the Malchutna with a pick up some where on the main stem of the Malchutna?

Assuming there is some motor traffic this low?

http://www.trailridgeair.com/alaska_raft_kuskokwim.html (HOHO) between you me and the fence post I would float the: Holitna versus the HOHO if in fact I was passing up the Chili.

(http://holitnariverlodge.com/main.htm)

http://www.alaska.org/detail/holitna-river

http://pbadventures.com/rivers/holitna

Also any thoughts on floating the Chili down past the confluence with the Malchutna with a pick up some where on the main stem of the Malchutna?

Assuming there is some motor traffic this low?
    Most Chili trips get picked up below the confluence. Donkey Creek being one spot, the mouth of the Stuyahok is a great place for pick-up and offers great fishing while you wait for da plane.

As far as adventurous and remote, the first one that popped in my mind was the Aniakchak....Not the best fishing tho'.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I grew if just south of where the Chili flows and my two cents are to do it especially over the stoney, it is a trip of a life time no matter who you are. I worked on twin lakes for a couple summers for the park and "busy" for there really is seeing someone every few days or so like birdstrike said. you really get to see an incredible cross section of AK on that trip too, from the mountains to the flats and tundra

upper noatak in the western brooks would be fun. good fishing in the main river and tribs that time of year. not much for whitewater though.

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Noatak, killer char fishing lower down. There are some monster lakers that require a bit of a hike.... If I told you where, I'd have to kill you...
    some of the laker lakes in that area are awesome!!