Thread: 375 jdj

Default 375 jdj

I have a new 375 jdj 23" barrel in a contender. I will be developing loads with sierra .375 dia 250 gr slugs, re 15, imr 4064 powders. Anyone in ak shooting a 375 jdj? What combo's works for you?

Been a long time, and I don't have the barrel any more (drat!). Not handy to my notes for the details, so I'll stay a little vague. My best performance on game came from bullets intended for the 375 Winnie rather than the 375 H&H, especially as range hit 100 yards and beyond. Jackets are a little thinner and alloys a little softer, assuring very good expansion and penetration at JDJ velocities. Had a few "pencil punctures" even on larger game when using the H&H bullets. Seems to me I had best luck with H322, both velocity and accuracy.

I chose the sierra as my first development, I've used them in other cal's I have and they mushroom easily in many velocities. I will most likely stick with them for this round. As for the powder selection, the imr 4064 and the re 15 I already have in possession for other reloading projects. Getting powder shipped to the bush is spendy and I can only afford to do it when my stock gets low. Perhaps I will get other powders when I need to make another order. Thanks for your input and I know enough to stay away from bullet's designed for high end velocities. Thanks again..

You're on a good path. Enjoy that splendid round!

Default first string loads

first string pressure tests were one round shots with re-15, started 45.0 with + .5 gr up to 49.5. impressive barrel jump at upper end charge weights. first 4 rounds were adjusting impacts onto paper. next 6 were placing on top poa at 100 yds. powder charges 48.0 and 48.5 were stacked on top of each other. the next time out will be with the 48.0 gr charge weights for group testing and scope zeroing. there were no pressure signs and the max for the re-15 is 52.0 gr. i will see how the 48.0 gr holds together and try out the sierra 250 gr on the winter moose hunt in gmu 18.

I went looking for a rifle barrel in .375JDJ for my contender and ran into a deal I couldn't refuse on a 18" Katadin barrel for my Encore in .450 Marlin. I had a Marlin in that caliber so I grabbed some stout loads with 430 gr hard cast flat nose lead to give it a try with an old Weaver 2.5x mounted.To this day I'm not sure why I didn't get a detached retina, but I did bite my tongue. Empties loaded with 300gr HP aren't bad at all to shoot and #2 son has taken several deer with it and it kills quick with more meat damage than I'd prefer. Should have waited for JDJ's round.

Good luck with it!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Well my holiday vacation was too short. Ran out of time to fire off group tests and hunt moose. Just had too many things to do around the home and packed bags and headed off to work. Gmu 18 winter moose closes at the end of February, maybe I can pull of a weekend hunt. Time will tell.

Well folks, winter moose hunt has been extended due to lack of snow all winter. Told the boss I'm heading home for a hunt. Will zero in and give it another try.

Dialing in scope, first round high and right. Next three rounds working impacts down toward top of center. Rounds 5 and 6 made one ragged hole 3" top of center. Shot 7 was 1" right and slight lower than ragged hole. Next five shots opened up. Fired total 12 rounds re-15 48.0 gr powder with sierra 250 gr showed promise. The barrel showed accuracy with the 5th and 6th shot till the 7th round. Will have to fire more rounds with a clean barrel check this set up to see if the 5th and 6th shot ragged hole not a fluke.
    But, it worked on a nice size moose. One shot entry and exit wound thru rib cage at 50 yards. Moose went 20 ft in the brush and dropped.

The powders you are using are a little slow for top velocities. H4895 works well for all bullets from 220 to 270 grains.

The re-15 showed promise with 48.0 gr. think I will work with this setup. But, haven't tried the imr 4064 yet.

congrats on your moose. folks don't realize how deadly these guns truly are. FYI, reloader 15 is holding you back. Switch to reloader 10x for a happy medium between reloader 7. though the moose won't notice, they'll still be dead, it will extend your handgun range.

I've been modifying 300 grain round nosed hornday's for a 375 winchester rifle. I should end up with similar velocities as your pistol. check out the shooting forum for that 375 winchester thread, and keep posting about your 375 jdj hunts.

thanks there mainer, but the 375 jdj is in rifle 23" bull barrel. so it should be punching out a little faster than in a pistol version. in my pressure tests with the re-15, charges 48.0 and 48.5 stacked on top of each other. i never reached excess pressure signs up to 49.5. i chose to go with 48.0 charge weight as my first group test along with scope zeroing. it gave good results so i brought it out in the field on my winter moose hunt. big game hunting is over for now. next will be a black bear hunt if one ever wanders into my firing range this fall.