Thread: 830 Transporters

Default 830 Transporters

Went to Fred Bifelt's webpage, and saw a message that he wasn't transporting anymore. I used him a few years ago and did well. Anybody know what other options to get into 830 beside have your own boat? Is Charlie Green still operating out of Galena? I put in for 830, and not even sure I can get in there!

went with charlie last year.He said last year was it for him.Maybe he will change his mind.THERE is another guide in galena that might do transports Craig Hill.I hope there is someone doing transports i also put in for that tag.

I heard that Charlie was getting out of the Biz, but it was just a rumor. Well shoot.. things just got more complicated for hunting that area!

I will contact him this weekend and see what his plans are.Maybe he knows someone else.I will post when i find something out.

Appreciated.

I put in as well, if I draw I have everything needed to get up there and no one to go with.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

If i draw i know someone that would be interested.

I talked to Charlie Green today.He said he is all done with the transporting.He has dealt with a,lot of bs these last few years.I do not blame him.I will keep in contact with him ,if i hear someone else is transporting out of galena i will post.Good luck on the draw.

Default koyukuk transporter

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor1 View Post
    I talked to Charlie Green today.He said he is all done with the transporting.He has dealt with a,lot of bs these last few years.I do not blame him.I will keep in contact with him ,if i hear someone else is transporting out of galena i will post.Good luck on the draw.
    Charlie is my friend and neighbor. Fred Bifelt is my cousin. I've been guiding and outfitting on the Koyukuk and other areas of unit 21 since 1993. The reason hardly anyone has heard about me is I charge more than these guys have. Of course I have always provided more as well. I have several cabins for use while hunting. I'm the only person with boots on the ground in winter, spring, summer and fall preseason. Since it's a major part of my livelihood I have tried to maintain an effort in predator control from the get go. People don't realize that when we had same day airborne 2-300 wolves were harvested out of Galena. Most of them were from the Koyukuk because of the nature of the terrain. That's the reason behind the tremendous moose density and trophy quality. We just are not getting the wolves like we used to. After the area went to a draw, I don't have the clientele anymore to pay for hunting and trapping them. This area is still very good and could be the best opportunity to harvest a monster bull unguided. As a matter of fact the highest scoring bull that I had any part of was taken by an unguided hunter that did exactly what I told him to do. He had to work his butt off but he took the 70"er that I spotted preseason. So don't think every guide is gonna place his unguided hunters in a spot with low potential. Without question I would rather have the client I was personally guiding take the animal but he was just not physically capable. Which seems to be the case half the time.

do you also do transporting.If so what areas do you cover.

Default unit 21 transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor1 View Post
    do you also do transporting.If so what areas do you cover.
    My main camp is 90 miles up the Koyukuk. I can transport anywhere in the Galena area by river.

So.. how much do you charge for your services?

Or, shoot me an email. joelst99@yahoo.com I'm interested in 817 too, and I think I might be able to put in another selection in the draw.

I am debating getting my transporter license and working that area. I know a few people in galena/koyukuk. If I go through with it, I will be the cheapest outfit up there. And will cover 828/830,812,820,892,896. I will keep you posted

I also put in for that area. But really have no idea how I'm gonna get there lol. Sounded like it'd be a great adventure though. Could you float in from the dalton highway at all? Pretty sure you can't, but might as well ask a dumb question anyway.

Release Lake Trout

Default pretty big area!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    I am debating getting my transporter license and working that area. I know a few people in galena/koyukuk. If I go through with it, I will be the cheapest outfit up there. And will cover 828/830,812,820,892,896. I will keep you posted
    Just a small suggestion. If you are gonna be successful at this , I suggest you concentrate on the some of the same permits that I do 820, 827, 829, 828, 830. 812 is Dulbi , too far and if it's low water forget it. 892 Huslia-Dakli, I have a hard time seeing how you can be profitable coming all the way from the road system when even the local guide doesn't see any money in it. 896 Hogatza, even farther still. I was born in Huslia and grew up my early years on the Hog. There's hardly a bend in the river from Hughes to Galena I don't have a story for, so it's not like I don't know anything about it. Like I say If your gonna do it shoot for something reasonable. I have no problem with anyone soliciting the same clientele that I am. Like you said You'll be the 'cheapest' more power to you. I'm still gonna offer the same services at a rate that I can make a buck and still maintain the level of service that's appropriate for some. I will never get rich and some if not most years Noone will choose to hire me. I'm fine with that. What I have to offer is as close to a guided hunt as one can get with out paying for a full blown guided hunt. I'm sure you will provide a much needed service that has a higher demand than for what I provide. I don't mean to be nosey, just want everyone to have a good hunt.Koyukon

I've been charging $6,500 for unguided hunts the last three years. I was $4,500 for five years before that. it seems Charlie was always a thousand or two cheaper. I'm sure someone else will come along to fill the void. 817 can be a tough hunt. Lots of local pressure and private land to deal with. There is a small area that hasn't been hunted but an illegal guide has moved in, hopefully the troopers will take care of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    So.. how much do you charge for your services?

Or, shoot me an email. joelst99@yahoo.com I'm interested in 817 too, and I think I might be able to put in another selection in the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by koyukon View Post
    I've been charging $6,500 for unguided hunts the last three years. I was $4,500 for five years before that. it seems Charlie was always a thousand or two cheaper. I'm sure someone else will come along to fill the void. 817 can be a tough hunt. Lots of local pressure and private land to deal with. There is a small area that hasn't been hunted but an illegal guide has moved in, hopefully the troopers will take care of that.
    Can 2 guys get dropped off in the same area in the 830 tag area for the $6500 or is it per person? I'm looking for "transporting". Point A to point B, to a spot I pick. I have all my own gear, but might want to rent a small skiff or canoe from someone in Galena if someone is offering. I'd be willing to partner up with someone for the $6500, but for just myself, it's priced to high for a DIY hunt.

For 817 I've got a spot in mind. How much to run me 15 or so miles down the Yukon, and pick me up in 10 days?

Default Too much private property

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Can 2 guys get dropped off in the same area in the 830 tag area for the $6500 or is it per person? I'm looking for "transporting". Point A to point B, to a spot I pick. I have all my own gear, but might want to rent a small skiff or canoe from someone in Galena if someone is offering. I'd be willing to partner up with someone for the $6500, but for just myself, it's priced to high for a DIY hunt.

For 817 I've got a spot in mind. How much to run me 15 or so miles down the Yukon, and pick me up in 10 days?

!5 miles from Galena you are still in 816. Legally I can provide services in 817 but realistically the area outside private land is too small. Most of the pubic land is normally very hard to access. There is considerable area inside the Northern Innoko Wildlife Refuge but the local presence is considerable. I will not drop anyone in the area. For the price quoted, a 16 ft. jon boat with outboard, jet or prop (it depends on your draw and my preseason scouting) with a barrel of gas is included. My cabins and canoes are also included. Again it depends on the area. Per permit, if you have your own gear and I don't have to supply tent and camping gear you can include a non-moose hunter. There are always people trespassing around Galena and the surrounding villages for their hunts. I will have nothing to do with it.

Roger that. I thought I recalled some public land on the 816/817 border that looked like a fun hunt. Can't find the land ownership map right now though. You have a link to a good map? Don't want to piss off the locals.