Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for radar/chart plotter/sounder.

Default Recommendation for radar/chart plotter/sounder.

I just picked a used but new boat for myself. 2000 ospery fisherman. I looking into getting new electronics. Just wondering what good and what stAy away from.
    I really like the multi unit from raymarine E125.
    Thanks Mike
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Been running with Garmin 5200, love it! Its spendy though.

Might send a PM to AK6pack, he has been doing a bunch of research on this as he is outfitting his new 26' Hewes.

BK

hi ak....havnt used anything but garmin all my life so cant give you a fair comparison!...I use 3 garmin 4208s all in sync(radar/chartplotter and depthsounder) with each other and a single older garmin depth/chartplotter with no at antenna as backup!..if all that fails I have 2 portable handheld gamin gps units with internal charts!..so if I ever get lost It will be my fault!!--well, if they shut down the sats I have 2 compass and maps, and we all will have bigger probs to deal with...anyway, would I get the same stuff again if I had too?..yes!...my fave tool is the radar!....have added numerous "secret" fishing spots from other boats way out in the ocean by locking "waypoints" to their postion while they are fishing miles away!!.....so that has paid for itself many times over!!...lots of good makes and brands out there I would think nowadays!!!....good luck larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Garmin's new lineup will be out in February. Their new DownVu and SideVu systems look promising and price doesn't seem to be as steep as I would imagine. The new xHD radar looks like a nice upgrade as well. Obviously would depend on your budget though.

Thanks guy for info keep it coming. I know I'm going spend some coin but that's ok. Just getting more Educated before spring.

My brother has 4210 garmin on his boat. But I want something better.
    Anyone use E125 series raymarine.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

you might look up gil travis "semperfi" on hull truth & bloody decks....I got a furuno sounder from him last spring...hard to beat furuno, simrad, northstar, garmin, raymarine. my boat came with furuno navnet & it'll do plenty good for what I need. I prefer a separate sounder than trying to get gps, sounder & everything cluttered together. Another good source of info would be to talk to Andy with Crackerjack sportfishing. I think the garmin gps's are good chartplotters but have heard mixed reviews on there sounders....seems like a lot of them are going touchscreen these days too, just more choices to make, personally I like to keep it simple,

Thanks another forum to read instead of working.

We're in the process of getting a custom 32' pilot house Wooldridge built and wanted the Garmin units. Just talked to Wooldridge a couple of hours ago going over the specs and was told a Garmin rep was in the shop today and said the new stuff won't be avialable until much later in the year, just FYI. Kind of bummed me out...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

fyi Mike.....Gil Travis is in seattle area & was helpful with setup & questions....matter of fact he told me once i had it installed to call him & he would walk me thru setting up, which i did, saved a bunch of time & headaches.

Yeah, Gil is awesome. I bought my current setup through him. Best prices and he took the time to answer all of my questions to make sure I was getting what I needed. One thing I would do regardless of the setup is make sure you pick up a 1K transducer. I got mine from Gil, a TM260 and that thing is awesome! I'm sure some of it is setup, but I can track bottom around 900' while cruising at 25 MPH.

Do you guys have contact number for him. I'd had planned on thur hull 1k transducer, since current setup is a simrad CE 32 plotter/sounder and simrad Anritu radar. Also I'll be sell all my old Electronics.

800-925-0341

Lots of choices out there, just looking at Garmins offerings can be daunting enough.

We will be buying something for our Glasply project in the future.. Last Sunday WM had the 740's on sale for 699.00 seemed like a heckuva deal....thought about buying two at that price, but decided to wait as new stuff will be out in Feb and most likely will be plenty of sales and time to spend money then.....they will add a 741 to the 7" lineup.

I have question about the 740's from those that have them, if using in the split screen mode, do you find the screens too small..........?

In Feb Garmin is introducing a 1020 model, 10" screen for 1800.00, seems like a excellent price but no sounder, assume you could use the 1020 for plotter and mariners view and have second smaller unit for the sounder.......?

BKmail, There are several in 52** series, which one are you using?

Lastly, how big a deal is the touchscreen........? Is that a worthwhile feature, seems like it would be to me......
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

5212, I believe, love it. Touch screen is great. Very intuitive and easy to navigate in.
    Its a 10" screen. Highly recommended!
    BK

I'd search out a 1st or 2nd generation Furuno NavNet on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I'd search out a 1st or 2nd generation Furuno NavNet on Ebay.
    Looks like "navnet" covers alot of ground......
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I have the 740s with an Airmar p66. GPS works perfectly, even before I added the external antenna. Also have the g2 card which takes it into more detail. The sounder part is okay, not great but I think most of that has to do with it being a transom mount transducer. Split screen does make everything smaller, but it's still functional.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Thanks for everything guy I pulled trigger on garim 5212. Here the link,

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-GP...tem-P1554.aspx

Frostbitten has advice on what NOT to buy. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Thanks for everything guy I pulled trigger on garim 5212. Here the link,

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-GP...tem-P1554.aspx
    You should get the G2 vision card for it, if you haven't already done this. It opens up some nice additional features.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast