Thread: Spot light attached to the scope for hog hunting???

Default Spot light attached to the scope for hog hunting???

photo-19.JPG

I am going hog hunting for the first time this winter in TX. You can shoot them at night with with a light or night vision or what ever. I have a 375 Ruger Alaskan with a Trijicon 3x9 scope that I mounted an LED red spot light to with a picitinny rail attachment. Will likely be in a blind about 50-70 yards while night hunting.

Do you think the recoil will be too much for this set up??? I have not fired it yet. Looking for some insights first.

Well . . . Donít know but your putting a funny load onto the scope tube that way. Donít know if Iíd risk a good scope like that. Support between the top of the front ring and bottom of the light would help a lot, keep it from twisting down as much.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Use an AR in 30-30/308 blackout picatinny rails like everyone else. What's the point of the Safari caliber anyway? Rhinos, lions, elephants, and Texas pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    Use an AR in 30-30/308 blackout picatinny rails like everyone else. What's the point of the Safari caliber anyway? Rhinos, lions, elephants, and Texas pigs.
    What is 30-30.308 blackout? Are you referring to 300AC Blackout? 375 Ruger is big but better big than too little and I doubt the hog will care.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

No, that set up will not stand up to recoil.
    having hunted hogs at night, I recommend a lighter caliber where you hold a flashlight in your support hand and direct the light where you need, Headlamps don't work too well because of the angle of your face to the scope, Looks good in theory, not so much in practice althought you could use a strong headlamp and put your hat crroked when you shoot. OR mount a Picatinney rail on the forearm and mount the light up there, again, nothing I'd recommend on a ruger 375.

Most in Georgia use night vision for hog hunting but that is an expensive buy for a one time hunt. As for caliber, the majority of the plantation guys use a 22-250 on hogs with excellent results.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Shooting is so much different up here. I have big calibers. The smaller calibers I have are set up for long ranges with big scopes, and they are not "small". The smallest is a 264win and I am NOT putting the light on THAT scope. Sounds like the consensus is this set up won't work. I agree with ADfields, who cares how big the caliber is, the hog won't care and this gun flat out shoots. It is a work horse and I have a ton of ammo for it.

Does anybody know how to put a rail on the front of a Houge stock, like where the sling stud is?

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    Shooting is so much different up here. I have big calibers. The smaller calibers I have are set up for long ranges with big scopes, and they are not "small". The smallest is a 264win and I am NOT putting the light on THAT scope. Sounds like the consensus is this set up won't work. I agree with ADfields, who cares how big the caliber is, the hog won't care and this gun flat out shoots. It is a work horse and I have a ton of ammo for it.

Does anybody know how to put a rail on the front of a Houge stock, like where the sling stud is?
    If you have spare ammo and are not particularly fond of that scope, why not go try it?

As far as caliber, if your going to eat the hog i'm not sure you could pick a better caliber. Big slow bullet at close range, shoulnd't be much tracking and shouldn't be much blood shot meat. I've always wanted to go hog hunting in Texas where i have family, my .375 h&h would definately be going on that trip!

What bullet are you going to shoot at those hogs?

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    If you have spare ammo and are not particularly fond of that scope, why not go try it?

As far as caliber, if your going to eat the hog i'm not sure you could pick a better caliber. Big slow bullet at close range, shoulnd't be much tracking and shouldn't be much blood shot meat. I've always wanted to go hog hunting in Texas where i have family, my .375 h&h would definately be going on that trip!

What bullet are you going to shoot at those hogs?
    I shoot Barnes bullets out of the Ruger. Both the 270g TSX and the 250g TTSX shoot well. I think good hog medicine would be a true slow fat bullet like the 444 Marlin. The 375 is overkill, it is accurate, handy and the scope has a lit dot in the reticle to help acquire dark targets in low light.

Hog hunting here in NC is often done with lever guns like the guide gun in 45-70.

One thing you might consider, a lighter flashlight. I bought a Surefire P2X Fury on Amazon last year. Amazing how small a light you can buy today yet has 500 leumen. And for under $100? Unreal. It wasn't too long ago I bought a Surefire M6 Guardian 500 leumen flashlight for $400. And these new P2X surefires are 1/3 the size. Very impressive stuff. Would lessen any untoward effects recoil may have on your otherwise spiffy setup.

Dan

The night hog hunting I did in Texas was with a headlamp and pistol. If dogs were used a knife and rope were added.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

While most hogs are hunted with AR styled firearms or lever action rifles, hogs really don't care what they get shot with they'll still squell on you. Well constructed bullets at moderate velocities do the job. Your Ruger will work as well, recoil may limit follow-up shots though; and hogs are usually found in packs. You could also consider loading some 235 grn Speer bullets at around 2500-2700 FPS, reduceing recoil and allowing you to keep your rifle on follow-up targets.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Dave, here's my recommendation: get a SET of mounts, like the weaver mounts for the remington 870, go FORWARD of the sling swivel one either SIDE of the stock, Not on the bottom. sand flat and check and re-check, if the mount is angled, so is the light. Avoid the bottom of the stock because of recoli and blocked light due to sling/stock/barrel. Screw it in place and 'glass it in place. Vise and hold for 8-12 hours, and It ain't ever coming off, of you did it right. now a good set of rings to fit the light and you're set.

What I would do is mount a short section of rail at the very tip of the stock on bottom. If sling is in the way just move it, or remove for this hunt. Iíd mount by drilling two ĹĒ holes that I would epoxy ĹĒ aluminum bar into. Drill and tap the aluminum and bolt through the rail into those two holes. Hit with Aluma Black and they will look good. Can use one as a sling point when rail is off, if planed right you can get both the light and sling on the rail.

Iíd also down load if there is time to work up a load and get the scope dialed to it. If not no big deal, it wont ruin all that much and there ainít any shortage of ferial hog in Texas so shoot another.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The backup plan is to use the rail on the scope with a much lighter and smaller green light. And, I like taking WAY too much gun. I would bring the .416, but I don't have one.

Yet

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    The backup plan is to use the rail on the scope with a much lighter and smaller green light. And, I like taking WAY too much gun. I would bring the .416, but I don't have one.

Yet

Will you be shooting over feeders? Much easier to simply have a "night" (I've seen mostly red) light on the feeder...the truly big boars are likely to be pretty cautious, but that setup will get lots of hogs.

Like others have suggested, I'd also suggest a smaller caliber in a gun that can more readily have lots of followup shots. If you're over a feeder, the hogs will want to stay, but they ain't going to stay long enough to work the bolt on the big boomer twice.

I shot two hogs once on the same stand/feeder with my bow...first shot hit an old sow in the spine (not quite what I was aiming at), but the sow just stiffened and flopped over...quiet enough for me to nock another arrow and shoot a young boar. That one only ran 10 yards before piling up, but that run was enough to scare the rest of the bunch off.

My buddy uses a big red light over his feeder and has put a big but cheap Bushnell on his Garand. Has a blind setup about 30 yards from the feeder and typically slays 3-4 hogs from a bunch at a pop, 2 near the feeder and usually 1 -2 running away.

Yep, shooting over feeders and maybe some spot and stock during the day if they up moving around. There will be lights on the feeders, so that will help, but we still need some kind of spot light on the guns I would imagine. I have a POS 223 that is good for zombies and barn doors, maybe. I am bringing an autoloading 35 whelen too, but I am not sure about the red dot and light set-up at night, so I am bringing the other work horse gun that I know will work that is scoped for longer shots if need be.

I bet I will have a VERY different idea of what I need when I get back compared to what I think now. Still not going to get a 22-250 though.

If you have a dependable 35 Whelen auto with a red dot thatís you go to for hog. Every battery run dot Iíve tried works flat out great in the dark, better than full sun. Take it outside and have a look, we got dark a-plenty this time of year to test in.

Never tried 223 on hog but seems light to me for big boys. The guys I know down there using AR are using 6.8 and up.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

photo-20.JPG

Here is my new set up. I have a smaller light now. Do you think this will work??

shoot it and try it, it will or it won't.