Thread: New hunter

Default New hunter

Ok after seeing all the ducks and geese this year deer hunting I got the itch..... So anybody recommend books, dvds or what ever for a beginner ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Your best bet would be to hook up with a mentor to show you the ropes. But if that's not availale, Zink's calling DVD's are pretty good and easy to follow. You can get combo with one of his calls too. But honestly for a beginner call I would recommend a Haydel DR-85. Probably one of the easiest calls to blow, and sounds good.

I don't think I've ever seen a dvd that focuses on decoy placemtent, but a good bet for that kind of stuff is to join Ducks Unlimited and get their magazine. They are usually full of calling tips, decoy advice and gear info. Also some good stories, and good pictures of ducks to help you ID them.

Also there are a lot of tips and good advice on these forums as well.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Your best bet would be to hook up with a mentor to show you the ropes. But if that's not availale, Zink's calling DVD's are pretty good and easy to follow. You can get combo with one of his calls too. But honestly for a beginner call I would recommend a Haydel DR-85. Probably one of the easiest calls to blow, and sounds good.

I don't think I've ever seen a dvd that focuses on decoy placemtent, but a good bet for that kind of stuff is to join Ducks Unlimited and get their magazine. They are usually full of calling tips, decoy advice and gear info. Also some good stories, and good pictures of ducks to help you ID them.

Also there are a lot of tips and good advice on these forums as well.
    Thanks for the tip . Yep been reading on here most of the evening

Roger, I've been hunting ducks since I was 17, which is over 50 years ago, and I will be the first to admit that even though I love it, I am far from a good duck hunter. However, I go many times each fall and have gathered enough equipment to look like I know what I'm doing. Next fall I'd be happy to take you out a couple times and show you what I do and how I do it. Just pm me then, happy to do it, just be sure to contact me, I may forget the offer without a reminder. Meanwhile, we did put on a bit of a calling seminar last spring over several evenings, once a week for a while, and may do it again, it would be very worthwhile for you. It will be posted here if you happen to see it, come and join it. Newbies have to bring a case of beer. Bud
    Wasilla

Check out the ducks unlimited Web site and delta waterfowl Web site. There is a lot of good info on those from decoys to calling and blinds. A lot of the info is good stuff but there is a lot that doesn't really apply to Alaska as we hunt mostly really early in the season and hunt differently than they do in a lot of the lower States. (not too many corn and rice fields here) now is a good time to get a call and start practicing, you got all winter and summer to learn it. I keep one in the truck so I'm I'm constantly blowing on mine when I'm driving. There are a lot of good training cd/dvds that will give you the basics. But there are also a lot of places in Anchorage that have ducks you can go listen to. Get a bag of bread and go feed the park ducks listen to them and see how they react to each other an what sounds they are manking to get those reactions. There is no better teacher than the real thing.
    Good luck and have fun
    Sent while hiding from the boss

[QUOTE=0321Tony;1348255]Check out the ducks unlimited Web site and delta waterfowl Web site. There is a lot of good info on those from decoys to calling and blinds. A lot of the info is good stuff but there is a lot that doesn't really apply to Alaska as we hunt mostly really early in the season and hunt differently than they do in a lot of the lower States. (not too many corn and rice fields here) now is a good time to get a call and start practicing, you got all winter and summer to learn it. I keep one in the truck so I'm I'm constantly blowing on mine when I'm driving. There are a lot of good training cd/dvds that will give you the basics. But there are also a lot of places in Anchorage that have ducks you can go listen to. Get a bag of bread and go feed the park ducks listen to them and see how they react to each other an what sounds they are manking to get those reactions. There is no better teacher than the real thing.
    Good luck and have fun

I seconded what 321Tony stated also if you have any questions you can always pm I will do my best to help you out been hunting ducks for 29 years like akblackddawg also stated Im not even close to knowing everything but I will be glad to help as much as I can. Chris
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Thanks for all the help and PMs

Go south for the winter. Take a trip to kansas, louisana, texas, california or any one of many other states that boast excellent duck hunting. Go out a couple or few times with a good guide and it will be money well worth the investment, even hunt in florida where you can do it in short sleave shirts. You can really find out what duck hunting is all about, you can learn a lot from a guide (you know that, you are one), and then come up here and shoot our dull brown ducks next fall, you will be as expert as a lot of the experts here. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    ...even hunt in florida where you can do it in short sleave shirts...
    That will be me in 5 days. bwahahaha.