Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who does leatherwork (holsters) in Anchorage area

Default Who does leatherwork (holsters) in Anchorage area

Can anyone recommend someone in the Anchorage area (Wasilla, E.R., ec) who does good leatherwork for a reasonable price? I'm wanting to get a holster made for an antique revolver, but I'm also not looking to pay more than the gun is worth to get it. Any ideas?

Diamond D is in Wasilla, I'm sure they can hook you up with something.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post

Hey, thanks for that. I didn't know about them. They;ve got a really nice website, except for the following blurb: "Due to our long back order we are no longer doing any custom work, we are only making our own products, no alterations or exceptions."

But yeah looks like a really nice shop.

Anyone else know of another place?

Diamond D is the best, The very best. I can't believe how "CHEAP" some members on this forum can be. You want a cheap holster, look on-line might find something for $8.99.............If you want quality "Diamond D"

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post

What was that all about??????
    [

QUOTE=AGL4now;1348020]Diamond D is the best, The very best. I can't believe how "CHEAP" some members on this forum can be. You want a cheap holster, look on-line might find something for $8.99.............If you want quality "Diamond D"[/QUOTE]

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Diamond D is the best, The very best. I can't believe how "CHEAP" some members on this forum can be. You want a cheap holster, look on-line might find something for $8.99.............If you want quality "Diamond D"
    Yeah I looked at their website. Their prices were doable, and their stuff looks great, but they're not taking custom orders anymore (as I mentioned in an earlier post), aaaaand, since my revolver isn't on their standard products list...well...that, as they say, is that.

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    What was that all about??????
    A completely different thread in a different forum section about the price of ammo, the moral implications of scalping, and paying too much for things. Like guns. And other stuff.

Yep.............We enjoy defending different positions, just for the sole purpose of a commitment to the pursuit of truth & insight.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    A completely different thread in a different forum section about the price of ammo, the moral implications of scalping, and paying too much for things. Like guns. And other stuff.

What is the gun? Most holsters listed for model X also fit a bunch of less popular models that are not on the list, very few handguns that dont have an almost duplicate shape in another brand/model out there so the trick is learning what is like which.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

And then RE-Bone the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    What is the gun? Most holsters listed for model X also fit a bunch of less popular models that are not on the list, very few handguns that dont have an almost duplicate shape in another brand/model out there so the trick is learning what is like which.

Yep.............We enjoy defending different positions, just for the sole purpose of a commitment to the pursuit of truth & insight.
    Writing maketh a man exact, and iron sharpens iron! =)

No hard feelings here.

Colt Police Positive Special. Five inch barrel (measured from where it meets the cylinder to the muzzle). Born on date 1930.

S&W K-frame for like a 5" model 10 (the other police 38) should do the trick just fine. Unless you just want custom take it shopping most gun shops will have leather for it, even sportsmans will let you check fit but they want you to tell the front counter and see its clear. Its about the most common revolver shape/size there. The "Special" part of it's name refers to a "38 Polise Special" length cylinder, it and the twin to it Smiths were forever on every cops hip and hard for most to tell the two apart without looking close.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

S&W K-frame for like a 5" model 10 (the other police 38) should do the trick just fine. Unless you just want custom take it shopping most gun shops will have leather for it, even sportsmans will let you check fit but they want you to tell the front counter and see its clear. Its about the most common revolver shape/size there. The "Special" part of it's name refers to a "38 Polise Special" length cylinder, it and the twin to it Smiths were forever on every cops hip and hard for most to tell the two apart without looking close.
    Awesome. Thanks. I didn't even think of that, and I should have-I once owned a Model 10.

Well that changes things considerably. Diamond D lists a K frame holster as a standard item, which means I might be able to buy one from them. (They also list one for a S&W Model 15, which I thought was darn near the same as the model 10 (ramp sight as opposed to half moon-that was the Air Force crew pistol during Vietnam I think.) Seems to me that ought to work as well.

I subscribe to the same theory, If it were me, I'd take the gun (unloaded) over to Diamond D's store and talk to those people, they are very helpful.. Plus they can do some online research while your standing there and possibly figure out a match for one of their production holsters to fit your gun...

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    I subscribe to the same theory, If it were me, I'd take the gun (unloaded) over to Diamond D's store and talk to those people, they are very helpful.. Plus they can do some online research while your standing there and possibly figure out a match for one of their production holsters to fit your gun...
    I plan to do just that. Probably early next week. If ADFields is right, and a Model 10 holster will work (That would be their Model K holster) then I'm looking at an Alaskan Hunter hip holster with flap. That will be right at $140. I had hoped/expected to pay somewhere between $75-100, but I can swing $140 if I'm buying something my son's son will use.

Was in Sportsman's today. That was an eye opener. Leather holsters ran from $40-$70 (less than I planned to pay) but you're right, there was a complete lack of quality, even in the "Italian Made" ones. Most seemed to be just pieces of leather folded in half and sewn up one side. No to mention, almost everything was for an auto loader. I saw ONE holster for a K frame sized revolver. (For a 4") and it was $70 and just not that good. (Bianchi brand.)

Yea there is $30 worth of leather alone in a quality holster. There are quality production holsters out there in your $75-100 range but finding it in stock for your gun in bear protection starts with 4 Alaska could be a pain.

Diamond-D is other side of Parks hwy from Value Village, they will fix you up and youll never regret the extra cash for what you will get.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Another vote for Diamond-D. Got my Guides Choice this week. NICE! It fits like it was built around the gun itself. Looks good too.

Went out to Diamond D today-just got back. Nice people, nice showroom, great looking products. Test fit my revolver into a K and an L frame holster. I could have bought one of the shelf, except I have a 5" barrel. The 6" barrel holster was a tad too loose. So I ordered a K frame Alaskan Hunter with a flap that they are going to have to cut for an extra inch or so of material at the end and make the barrel section narrower. Should be ready in about 6 weeks they said.

The only thing I couldn't decide was whether or not to have the flap permanently sewn onto the holster, or use their standard screw set-up. I decided to leave it standard and they said I can bring it back and they will sew it for me later, if I want.

Thanks for putting me on the right path, folks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast