Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question on a sleepin bag

Default Quick question on a sleepin bag

Ol lady needs a warmer sack. Womens sleepin bags rated for -20 or so are limited. Will it be alright ya think for a reg? She is 5'6 and I'm worried all the extra space in the bag will be an issue in reguards to warmth. I'm wanting to get the cabelas mummy..so all in all will a bag I would get for myself(6'2) still provide the same warmth for her 5'6. Thank you

Call Marc at Wiggy's. 907-336-1330

He can answer all of your questions.

+1 on Marc & Wiggys. The Wiggys bag I got from him has been one of my best outdoor investments, & the prices are reasonable.
    I now have 3 friends that I have recommended them to who purchased them & not a one regrets it.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

If it is cold she will want to put her boots into the sleeping bag stuff sack, and put them at the bottom of the bag. That takes up another 12"/14" in a mummy bag.

Another vote for Wiggy's bags.
    BK

Wiggy.... Is the way. You won't be disappointed
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Regardless of brand, at 5'6" I'd put her in a regular bag and expect the results to be commensurate with the capabilities of the bag. I've never seen a sleeping bag fail to perform due to sex, race or creed.......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Trekkers from Cabela's actually are pretty good bags, and their price is very reasonable. I bought a regular size mummy originally, but it was a tad too short for me to be comfortable in. I bought a large one and it is much better now. I would still take the small one on pack in hunts, but I recently got a 20 degree bag for those since they were earlier in the year and I was cooking in the Trekker. I've been using the same bags for about 12 years.

No....but I have sure seen some feathers a'flying, and the tent come down.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I've never seen a sleeping bag fail to perform due to sex.......

I have a Cabela's Alaskan Guide -40 bag and have never gotten cold.

I grew up with goose down and gave up on it with the new materials. My son bought a Mountain hardware waterproof 800 fill 0 degree bag on a recommendation. It was so incredible I bought one... the best camping equipment I've bought in 20 years. I never even had to zip it up. It stuffs into a water proof sack that is also water proof. My kid dumped his canoe last Fall, and my bag went completely under... it was not at all wet. New covers and linings make goose down pretty functional again.. absolutely love it.

Women sleep colder than men, so it is an issue. Don't know what kind of conditions you'll be camping in but if it's very cold (like, Alaska winter cold) ... I've also got a Wiggy's Antarctic with overbag and am very, very happy with it. I know a bunch of Iditarod and Quest mushers who use that bag. Also, get a good sleeping pad - one with a high R-rating. They're expensive but they make a huge difference.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Have you given thought to having 2 bags that zip together ? Guaranteed you'll both stay warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Have you given thought to having 2 bags that zip together ? Guaranteed you'll both stay warm.
    I purchased a zip together double bag because that seemed like a good idea for summer camping in Alaska. In practice I did not find that to be the case. My lower body was too warm, but my head and shoulders were cold because the top of the bag was wide open since there are two people in it. In a survival situation, you could sacrifice comfort and cinch up the top, but it wouldn't be what I would look for in a good night's sleep.

There are other benefits to the double bag, but I'm not sure what the forum rules say about that discussion.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Hard to give a bag recommendation with the limited info provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Haha I like that idea. I have several bags in mind, my main concern was the large amount of unoccupied space in the bag for her. This bag will be a fall bag, and I plan on getting at least a -20 for her. She gets cold, as most women do.

The best bags for packing light are the western mountaineering bags. Feathered friends is another quality bag. The temp ratings on these companies are acurate and maybe a little conservative. The wiggys bags are big bulky old school...

I am 68" and used a small 72" womens bag this year for sheep hunting (MHW Lamina 35). These smaller bags have a more open upper section that allows for movement. I guess since they are marketed for women who may have something protruding from their upper body the bags are cut larger up top. Works for a man with wide shoulders and a beer belly.

At 66" she will find a short 72" bag fitting with just enough room.

I recommend that you take her to REI and have her try on bags there. They have lots of bags for fit testing and the full bench to keep you up off the floor to make it simpler.

Since it doesn't look like you're actually looking for a bag recommendation, rather asking about the unused space, I would just advise that the extra space at the foot is perfect for keeping clothes/boots warm and dry. I don't think the extra footroom will cause issues with staying warm.

I agree. You might be warm enough, but she will be carrying around a lot of extra bag. For instance, I have a wiggys wide long and a regular regular. Both are zero degree. I stay just as warm in either, but the reg reg is a lot more compact to carry so I like it better. And it fits me fine. They make women's bags which are cut shorter and wider in the hips and such. But you couldn't use it! Sierra designs used to have one that was lined with fleece. get a down bag lined with fleece and she will be warm...
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast