Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glass boat options?

Default Glass boat options?

So sold the Alaskan, want to buy glass, don't want outdrives, what are some suggestions out there??
    It's better to burn out than fade away.....

Sea Sport is always a premier choice. Grady White and Bayliner are two others that come to mind. Ask the same question on the HT forum and bet you get lots of choices.

There are a lot of people who have converted a glass boat with an outdrive to outboard power... I am in the middle of my project with a Uniflite. I have seen a lot of Glasplys done. Recently most factory glass boats with outboards are centerconsoles or very small pilothouse walkarounds.

Sobie2

I'm with you. I don't like outdrives or OB's for that matter though the new 4 strokes are lots better but still have the gear box in the water. Both Seasport and Bayliners have outdrives btw. I have a Shamrock with diesel and straight drive. It's a well built boat with a robust gearbox in the boat built to take a beating. Engine placement is midship which also makes for a good ride and despite the shallower V it rides much better than the 26 Osprey I had previous. I also had a 26 Tolly with V-drive which is another option to avoid the gearbox in the water. Straight or V drive makes for a clean transom too. The 28 Glasplys also have V-drive but like the Tolly are older boats likely needing some serious TLC. Norstar is another option for a newer build and there's a 30 footer for sale in Seward. It's a nice boat with twin inboard diesels. I also saw one in Bellingham last year that's still listed with a reduced price. Most of the newer glass boats in the 30' range now have outboards or outdrives and it will be hard to find a new one in that size range that's a straight drive or V-drive. I bet Potbuilder knows of some downeasters that might fit the bill so come on Steve, this is right up your alley. THT as suggested above would be a good place to check out as most are plastic boat owners.

All depends on what you are wanting it for. There is a lot of differences depending on if you want a day hopper, a lake boat, an ocean boat for week (s) at a time, fishing, cruising, etc.. What do you want it for? What sort of length are you looking at? For example, if I wanted to do a day or two out of Seward to chase Silvers I would want one boat, but if I wanted to go spent a week or two off Kodiak's south side I would wants something completely different. Are you looking for an open sled, completely inclosed, walk around, etc.? Hope that gives you and idea...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

second what roger said, there's no perfect boat....a little more info on what you want would help. I love my PARKER w 250 outboard. thick solid fiberglass hull, simple small cabin & good deck size, not much on it so not much to go wrong & easy to clean. Seasports & Ospreys are around with outboards too, you just have to look harder. uniflites are great boats too & glasplys. there's lots out there....happy shopping.....

If I were going to buy another boat it would be another SeaSport. The quality and workmanship is second to none IMHO. Here is a sweet 26' with twin yami 150s. The only thing I didn't like about my SeaSport was the I/O. I loved the way it ran but it was too much maintenance for me. At any rate check this one out: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2008.../United-States
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

I want something I can trailer to Homer, Seward, and Whittier too. Something me and the wife can stay on for 4-5 days....yey also day trips with friends for fish....Head a must, sleeps 4-6? Flush cockpit so no foot trip hazard. Would like 4 strokes, or shaft and prop inboard. Don't mind if it needs work as I like doing that kinda stuff.

I really like the look of the Farallon boats, fiberglass with several options for power.

My 31'Uniflite has been awesome for my needs. Really to heavy to trailer but doable if you really wanted. I run twin diesels with straight shafts and been serving me well out of Seward. As others mention, no one perfect boat though. That's why I have several...
    Tony

Alaska boats and permits has some nice boats.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Fishkiller View Post
    I want something I can trailer to Homer, Seward, and Whittier too. Something me and the wife can stay on for 4-5 days....yey also day trips with friends for fish....Head a must, sleeps 4-6? Flush cockpit so no foot trip hazard. Would like 4 strokes, or shaft and prop inboard. Don't mind if it needs work as I like doing that kinda stuff.
    Have you ever owned a boat with a head before? After owning both I'll never own one with a head again.

I would be looking at a cat if money was not standing in the way. A very nice sized one is the Tomcat 255 by C-Dory. Seasport also made a few cats too and they are very nice. All of them though are very heavy and incredibly expensive - even used.

http://www.popyachts.com/Page/Site-L...2520/Page.html

nice looking boat, easy to clean & maintain too

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    http://www.popyachts.com/Page/Site-L...2520/Page.html

nice looking boat, easy to clean & maintain too
    A Parker is also what I was going to recommend; but they cant sleep 4-6 people as the OP wanted. My friends have slept 3 people on their boat, but it was a little snug! I really like those Parkers though, they provide a smooth ride cutting through 4 footers.

yep, love mine....I know it didn't fit his needs. just throwing it out there, great price on a newer boat in Washington, somebody else might see it....sometimes you don't need all the things you think you do in a boat...

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

What do you guys think of a 27 sea sport pilot house? Volvo KAD 300 with a duo prop....465 hours....

Quote Originally Posted by AK Fishkiller View Post
    What do you guys think of a 27 sea sport pilot house? Volvo KAD 300 with a duo prop....465 hours....
    They are a whole lot of awesome in my opinion. I don't know about the KAD 300, but others will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    They are a whole lot of awesome in my opinion. I don't know about the KAD 300, but others will chime in.
    lots of HP out of those little blocked diesels and the drives are always suspect. I'd make sure the motor was propped correctly for the whole life of that engine, they don't like being lugged and if its ever been over heated. The basic block is good its all the volvo junk bolted on to it to make the horsepower that doesn't last long and is VERY expensive to replace. They don't make that engine any more so your at volvo's mercy(they have none) for parts. A drive will set ya back 10-12 grand. IMO the sea sports are real nice boats(hulls) but i don't know much on how they are put together.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast