Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goat Draw hunts For 60 yr old

Default Goat Draw hunts For 60 yr old

Could anyone suggest one of the easier Goat Draw Hunts for a 60 yr old man. My friend who is like a second Dad to me wants to get a goat. I am putting us in for the Draw Hunts. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Remind me to respond after the 17th of the month.

PM Sent.

Two words... "Kodiak registration"
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Two words... "Kodiak registration"
    What he said.....

I'm 57, and from what I've seen about Kodiak goats, it looks like a cake walk compared to the Kenai goats I've been after the last couple years. Terrain looks great and there is an abundant population......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Default Too easy

Dg362. Land on upper Hazel Lake and unfold your lawn chair. Easiest goat hunt I've ever been on. From the time I flew out of Homer until the time I got back was less than 24 hours. Take a shotgun because it's also loaded with ptarmigan. Cheers

I heard Lost Lake can be an "easy" goat hunt. Did anyone have that one recently?

What about a boat trip out of seward - shoot em on the beach.

What air service did you use? Cost?

Thats all draw?

The Only guy I'll fly with in Homer is Northwind Aviation. Nothing is inexpensive when you involve an airplane is all I can tell you about the cost.

Shot a goat from a canoe on lake George several years back. They will come down near the lake quite often. Be about as easy as it gets if he's not picky.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

What Homer Dave said....Kodiak. The mountains are not as high and less brush getting up them.

Thanks everyone with your help and suggestions. I really want to show my friend a good time. He is one heck of a cool guy he's just not getting any younger.

Kodiak
    Has SOME areas that are easier than others. But don't read into this that they are easy areas. Easier...it's all relative. Some goats on Kodiak can be just as bad as any other goat areas.
    Master guide 212

Kodiak Reg, contact someone like Tom Kierstein,and do a guided hunt

that way someone else carries the harvest down; and you all have comfortable sleeping, eating, getting to hunt by his boat, ect covered

little more $$'s ....

None of us are getting any younger,
    or plan on taking $ 's with us when we head to that last hunt in the sky

Chris

We'll shoot we got a ten grand budget that opens some more doors!! Lol Se ak has some goat areas you can pluck them off the mtns and beaches from a boat. Different style hunt but the same animal.
    Master guide 212

Why does everyone think if you turn 60 you are dead. Sheep hunting at 60. This year at 62 I did an archery hunt for elk on horseback. Old is in the mind.Attachment 75474

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Old is in the mind to some degree? My friend loves to shoot parka squirrels and predators he is at home being a sniper long range shooting. Nightforce scopes ETC. He has never had an interest in shooting big game. For some reason he wants to go Goat hunting due to the challenge. He has been a Roofer his entire life has never drank alcohol only worked hard his whole life.

He never complains he just keeps his head down at the task at hand he is in good shape for anyone's age. His knee does bother him at times which is a concern of mine which is my first priority since I will be in charge of the hunt. So your not dead at any age. But I want to use the SAT Phone to call home to provide updates not the local Coast Guard.

This man is like a father to me. I do not believe that anyone would like to someone they care about getting hauled away in helicopter? So that is why I am starting my research now so when next August/September comes around I will be ready to land on an alpine lake. Set up the tent cook some steaks and shoot some Goats. Heck we might even get crazy and shoot a Deer or a Caribou.

What would make his day is a fox or two for sure we might even get are suppressors handed to us for our loving government by then. So once again I truly appreciate everyone's assistance.

Riding horses is cheating? Just kidding I used hoses to get my Moose this year but it felt like cheating?

Thanks Brown Bear I could not agree more. Man the pack on your back looks heavy.

Your friend might be 60 but may also be in better shape than you think, don't limit yourself, go where the good goats are and gonna be, at that age you don't have to rush at them, you can take your time as you make your way towards them in a purposeful manner before dropping the hammer down on them.

With that said, I know a couple sheep hunters in there 60's and one in in his 70's who still do solo hunts in their supercub, and climb the mountains and bring home dandy rams just about every year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast