Thread: V8 outboard hours

Default V8 outboard hours

Im going to go take a look at a boat later this week and really the only thing I am too worried about is the motor, its got 700 hours on it. Its a Yamaha 350, and I know next to nothing about newer outboards, Im an inboard kinda guy. Anyway, how many hours can I expect to get on a motor like this before I have to look for a new unit? Ive done some research online and most people agree that it all comes down to how much it was abused. The owner has all of the 100hr tuneup paperwork, but its a 2010 motor with that many hours on it already, anyone have advice for things that I should look for while looking it over? We are going to splash it, so I should be able to see if run firsthand but other than the obvious I really would like opinions on what to look for.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate any help.

Ron

I would not be concerned about the hours. I would rather have a motor that has been used than one that has been sitting. You can get printout of how the motor has been run by RPM I believe. From what I have read about these motors, they are torquey, solid motors. They are extremely heavy though. What type of boat is it on?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    What type of boat is it on?
    Its sitting on a 29 Hewes PE. Thanks for the info on the printout, I will have to check that out and see where I can get it done. I did get a chance to see some videos of the motor on other boats via youtube and it looks like a very impressive motor.

Ron

Hummm... A 29 HEWES PE... YOUR TALKING MY LANGUAGE

**** phone. 26' Hewes PE.

350 on a 26', well it shouldn't be underpowered Honestly I'd be a bit concerned on how the boat trims out with that heavy of an engine on the transom, a 350 seems more suited to a 28-30' hull.

In general the modern 4's o/b's can handle 2000 hours and be rock solid, even charter guys that are hard on their engines seldom have issues inside 2000 hours. I just can't see that engine being taxed on a 26' hewes and would figure 700 hrs just means it's well broken in.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I would be interested in how the boat sits at rest in the water when full of fuel, gear, and people.
    Hours? Pretty meaningless as some of my friends have 5,000 plus hours on 4 stroke outboards with zero issues while others can have issues right off the bat. I would still have a dealer check out the history to make sure it has ran basically trouble free.

Ronster,

There are a few 26 PEs in Southeast with the F350. I think they are fine from the people I talk to. I know the V8 is a thirsty SOB, but then again big HP... If you really want an answer call around to some Yamaha shops and talk to them. I get super info that way. Rocky's Marine in Petersburg, Willies Marine and Lawless Marine in Juneau all tend to a number of F350 for commercial outfits and people with big boats. I don't think Deweys Cook Inlet has much experience with the V8 Yamahas. I have heard people prefer the Offshore V6 F300 compared to the V8F300. Go to Yamaha's website and look at some performance reports.

Sobie2

Weight should not be an issue. A 350 paired with high thrust 9.9 weigh about the same as a pair of F150s.

Yamaha performance bulletin shows 2.53 mpg at 26.1 mph at 3500 rpm
    2.43 mpg at 30.9 mph at 4000 rpm

Not too bad really.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Weight should not be an issue. A 350 paired with high thrust 9.9 weigh about the same as a pair of F150s.
    Yeah, thats kind of the way I looked at it too. Actually through, the 350 and a 20hp kicker is still about 50lbs less than the 150s. My only concern was the hours really but after looking into it a bit further most are still kicking right along in the 5000-6000 hour range. There was an issue with manifolds cracking when they first came out but I think that would have happened already if it were going to happen at all.

Ronster

I started out with a 260 PE it's now a 285 PE but thats another story. The first thing I did was weld an extension on the box under the swim step down to the bottom of the hull to add extra flotation, added about 50 gallon of flotation to help carry two 150's and a kicker. This was an easy and not expensive modification and adds planing surface as well,in shop.JPG here is a pic.

Man that's nice. I really like your extended top as well. Where did you have the work done?

700 hrs is nothing for these Yamaha's 3 yr old boat and motor and 700 hrs just means he used the boat. You can tell more about the motor by looking at the exterior of the boat and lower unit ding, scratches and such.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Man that's nice. I really like your extended top as well. Where did you have the work done?
    Great Land welding in Palmer, Gary Feaster.

Bkmail is right on... Gary at Greatland on the Palmer/Wasilla Highway has done extensive work on my boat. Can't say enough good about him and his welders. I keep my boat at Denali Park for the winter if your ever down this way and want to try out the Espar heater.

Yanert,
    Had some Q's for ya, check your PM's.
    BK

that's one huge motor!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    that's one huge motor!
    No kidding! Can you guess which one is the set of F350s? lol I would love to have a pair of them. At a 30 mph cruise, economy is about the same as my 250s. I am at 4600-4800 rpm and he is at 3900 rpm. Those motors will go forever.