• Spike Fork Fifty and a season Sept 1-sept25

17 41.46%
  • Any Bull shorter season Sept - Sept 20

24 58.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spike fork fifty hunt 20A

Default spike fork fifty hunt 20A

1.Unit 20A would you like to keep the spike fork fifty and have a hunting season from Sept 1- Sept 25

2.Unit 20A would you like Any Bull and a shorter season from Sept 1- Sept 20

There is a proposal for 20A to get rid of the spike fork fifty, This would probley be the choices. The guides like the longer seasons

That would be a proposal to return 20A moose hunting to what it once was prior to about about 10 years ago.

Yes
    I would like to see it returned to what it was once was . This years moose harvest was under the any bull permit witch there was 1000 put out and the spike fork fifty hunt, only 364 bulls were killed in 20 A , And 55 cows in the antlerless hunt

I would like to see it go back to any bull personally. This isn't from a biological standpoint, but from a standpoint of somebody that has hunted there for 20 years and hunts with people that have hunted there for over 30 years. I do put faith in the biologists, and I'll make due with whatever we are given as an option.

Just to let you guys know acording to the game bio the longer the spike fork fifty hunt goes on the smaller the bull will be, If you don't beleive me go ask the question, I was floored I asked then why do we have it because the guides want it and it makes for a longer season.

I would be in favor of a shorter bull season without horn restrictions in 20A as well as 7 and 15.

Quote Originally Posted by onthekenai View Post
    I would be in favor of a shorter bull season without horn restrictions in 20A as well as 7 and 15.
    I 2nd that, lets add unit 16 to that any bull list!!
    I hate counting brow tines or guessing at the width. Would be sooooo much better to shoot if you see horns.
    Hunts would be more successful for our family as we passed on multiple bulls this year due to uncertianty of width or brow tines. I hunt to feed my family and any legal bull hunts make it easier to fill the freezer.
    BK

Hmmmm. Not into 16 for free for all on any bull to easy. How about release some any bull draw permits to people who have property or cabins along the river....
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Hmmmm. Not into 16 for free for all on any bull to easy. How about release some any bull draw permits to people who have property or cabins along the river....
    People with cabins should have priority for any bull tags? What's the justification for that??

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post

I'm all for that akmike30, I know it wont happen and by rights it shouldn't but I would like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    People with cabins should have priority for any bull tags? What's the justification for that??
    You have to follow other threads to understand the rationale behind this thinking. The irony is that the same people who espouse this "logic" in one sentence will accuse others of expecting special privileges in the next.

Should have a unit 16 any bull draw permit along with regular season
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

If unit 16a had an any bull season with its ease of access it would be a bad idea IMO. I wouldn't be against them giving out around 50 any bull draw tags although it is not necessary since finding 3 brow tines is pretty simple.

I didn't see a proposal for this in the summary of proposals. Maybe I missed it though.

I would vote to keep antler restrictions where populations require, but in areas that it is only in place to grow "trophy" moose, it needs to go. I would venture to guess that the majority of the hunters in 20A consider the trophy the part that goes in the freezer and on the grill.

Most of the people that live up in Fairbanks consider the trophy what is put in the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by onthekenai View Post
    Me too. Although I didn't see anything up there this year.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    You have to follow other threads to understand the rationale behind this thinking. The irony is that the same people who espouse this "logic" in one sentence will accuse others of expecting special privileges in the next.
    I would say that just having a cabin wouldn't and shouldn't automatically qualify you for a permit. But if you live in the unit and can show that for the most part you fish, hunt, and garden as a way of life (ie: actually live off the land) I think it should. Of course that is just my opinion as I am a strong believer in rural first. Always will be!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielApplin View Post
    If unit 16a had an any bull season with its ease of access it would be a bad idea IMO. I wouldn't be against them giving out around 50 any bull draw tags although it is not necessary since finding 3 brow tines is pretty simple.
    You are correct Daniel, there are plenty of Moose in 16b. I think it should be limited draw for winter hunts because as you stated it is too easy in the winter. Any good hunter with a boat can find a Bull with 3 brow tine in the fall hunt. Living here in the unit I can tell you that the Moose population is thriving, even to the point that the board was considering closing tier 2 altogether!

I found the proposal, I think I was looking in the wrong area. Interesting idea, but I have another idea that I might suggest as a comment to the board of game. The proposal reads:

In unit 20A and the antler restricted portions of unit 20B, allow the taking of any bull by utilizing two valid harvest tickets. Both holders of the tickets must be present in the field and the harvest tickets would have to accompany the animal to the point of processing. Harvest reports would be required to list both ticket numbers for the single animal taken.

I've never seen this before, so it might be something new to fish and game and could take some work to develop the system, even with as simplified as it may appear, there could be some confusion brought around.

My idea would be to create an any bull registration permit for 20A or a specified area in 20B, with one permit available per household, such as the current Minto antlerless hunt. If you get a registration tag, then nobody else in that household could harvest a bull moose in 20A or the specified areas in 20B. You can still get a registration tag for 20A/B bull moose if you have drawn an antlerless tag in the area as well (this is how it is now under the general season any bull tag). F&G could set a limit of "any bull" moose to be taken for that specific year based on the population estimates, and if the quota is met, it goes back to s/f/50/3 and the registration is closed by emergency order. A harvest must be called in within 3 days of the kill. Season dates would stay the same.

Any thoughts on that?

There is another proposal to just eliminate it all together. That would work for me too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast