Thread: Wildfire2 or Hellfire?

Default Wildfire2 or Hellfire?

It's finally time to upgrade my homemade " poor boy" special to something more versatile and clearer. As much as I would like to go with the highly recommended cs24, my fun fund just can't swing it. So these are the models I'm looking at. They have the same controller so the biggest difference seems to be the speaker and battery consumption. Is the extra money for the Hellfire that noticeable, or is it more of a craftsmanship for long term thing?

Also, if I get it pre loaded with my sound choices what would be the most recommended "Alaskan package" for calling from Homer to Fairbanks?

Thanks in advance,
    Footed shaft

Go with the Hellfire without a doubt if you can. The Hellfire will be a much higher quality sound for you and that speaker can be changed out to an all metal TOA 10W metal speaker if you need it for durability. The stock model is pretty tough and I know a guide who has been very happy with his and hasn't had any problems. Overall, the volume of the Hellfire and that type of design has been a real winner for me here in Alaska. If you do a ton of hiking or snowshoeing, the smaller Wildfire2 might be handier, but I'd still think about just toting the little bit of extra weight and size of the Hellfire.

Sounds: Snowshoe Hares, Mark II Coyote Sounds, Lucky Bird, Lightning Jack, Adult Cottontail, Ravens, Vole, Wolf Howls. Get some "different" sounds that you wouldn't typically hear up here too. With the crazy growth in this sport, the animals are probably hearing more and more of the same thing in popular areas. Use different sounds and you might just call in what others can't.

Thanks Snowcamoman, I ordered the Hellfire today. Hope this is the game changer I'm needing 'cause it's been a looooong dry spell...

I'll tell you right now that an e-caller is definitely not the magic bullet...but it surely can help things at times. I've been using more mouthcalls lately, since I know some of my spots are called quite a bit with e-callers. It's working out fairly well too, because nobody is duplicating the cadence and pitches with my mouthcalls. Let me know if you need a hand programming or doing anything with the Hellfire.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    I'll tell you right now that an e-caller is definitely not the magic bullet...but it surely can help things at times. I've been using more mouthcalls lately, since I know some of my spots are called quite a bit with e-callers. It's working out fairly well too, because nobody is duplicating the cadence and pitches with my mouthcalls. Let me know if you need a hand programming or doing anything with the Hellfire.
    I carry a string of hand calls in case my e-caller dies and I had to use them recently, I was sure glad to have them after walking half a mile into a stand! Didn't call anything in but my partner was pretty impressed with how I sounded, which was nice to hear 'cause I wasn't sure!

I have called 1 lynx with a hand call although I didn't see him, I did see he's tracks where he came in and sat and watched me! I have also had coytes respond to howling with a hand call although they didn't come in, its definately a different sense of accomplishment than when using an e-caller.