Thread: Floating Kenai/ Kasilof in a pontoon boat?

Default Floating Kenai/ Kasilof in a pontoon boat?

Can you safely float the upper Kenai or Kasilof in an single man Outcast Cougar pontoon 8ft? Seen guys in larger ones, 10ft or so but never smaller. Any restrictions on using a trolling motor on the Kasilof?
    Looking for a reasonable option to get away from the crowds.

yes you can do both, most people out there have a 9ft single man raft. I have personally floated both in a 1 man however mine is a 10ft, people I float with have a 9ft. As for the motor, I don't believe there are electric motor restrictions. The only thing I would concern myself with is were to pull oout. I floated from the lake down to the HWY, but it leaves a lot of good holes below the bridge left untouched (Kasilof).

Ive done the kasilof in a small kayak from bridge to mouth. Easy water. There is a shuttle service that will take your truck down to Eds (I think) seafoods near the tidewater for 20 bucks. There is a roller boat pull out there and you get to hit all the lower river holes. You won't need a trolling motor I don't think. We were able to paddle back upstream fairly easily to cover our favorite spots 2 or 3 times. I wouldnt recommend trying to paddle upstream more than a hundred yards or so though. Done that once too and it was a painful experience.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Can you safely float the upper Kenai or Kasilof in an single man Outcast Cougar pontoon 8ft? Seen guys in larger ones, 10ft or so but never smaller. Any restrictions on using a trolling motor on the Kasilof?
    Looking for a reasonable option to get away from the crowds.
    Yes it's totally do able on all stretches of both rivers. There are some motor restrictions that you should be aware of. Read the regs. As for getting away from crowds, good luck on both fronts.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

You won't be the only guy out there floating. Sometimes you just trade one crowd for another.

The crowds I was referring to, were the shore fisherman. I least I can paddle away, if you give me a look.

This should give you the answer you were looking for.
    I was a lot bigger then than now too.

Should of known that Drifter would have the answer!! Looks exactly like what I found on Craigslist in Denver, add a Minkota trolling motor and you have it $550 sounded like a good deal

If it is worth 550 to you then it is worth it. It is hard to say, they range in price…………I think I bought mine brand new for around 450. But I don't have a trolling motor either. At any rate its a buck well spent in my opinion, or 550 in your case.

"all stretches" ?? What about the kenai just above skilac - below Jims? Anyone tackle that in an 8 or 9 or 10'er? I've never been through the "canyon" but want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    "all stretches" ?? What about the kenai just above skilac - below Jims? Anyone tackle that in an 8 or 9 or 10'er? I've never been through the "canyon" but want to.
    My buddies who have the same boat as I do have run the canyon lots of times.
    I haven't as I wouldn't want my pooch to go overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    My kids have been running my 8-9' one man cats through the canyon since they were 12. There is NOTHING in the canyon you can't go around, but we choose to hit every lump we can. They are a blast on the river. I have a 2.5 hp I used to use to motor across the lake, but it takes almost 2 hrs to make the run. Now I just raft the one man's up behind my 16" oval and pull them across the lake after we have a blast in the canyon with them.

I am going to have to give that a shot. Thinking that I'll have my uncle pull his boat down and we'll hitchhike back to one of the boat ramps on skilac though.

Back to the OP. I have floated the kasilof in our craigslist el cheapo 8 footers from the lake put in down to the bridge several times - both at high water and at low water. Low water is harder on the kasilof than high water. There is a lot of boulders and rocks to deal with. Also - be prepared to paddle the first 1/2 mile or so after you leave tusty - if the wind is blowing up stream and the flow is low - you will be paddling for 30-60 minutes to get into water flow. It is an easy run though.