Thread: 30-30 Rubber Tips

Default 30-30 Rubber Tips

Anybody loaded and or shot the new Hornady bullets in the 30-30 Winchester. I am thinking about trying some and thought I would see if anybody else had tried them.

I haven't, but I have a good friend who has, and he hated them. This guy is a 30-30 lever gun fanatic mind you. Short version of the story is the rubber tip just allows yo to have it in the magazine and "may" give some aerodynamic edge. Accuracy was unimproved over standard cup and core and penetration (on white tail deer and hogs) was mediocre. Not enough to warrant the price premium.

But that is second hand info from a source I trust, not first hand experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Anybody loaded and or shot the new Hornady bullets in the 30-30 Winchester. I am thinking about trying some and thought I would see if anybody else had tried them.
    They come in a couple of varieties. There are various cannelures for various .308 caliber cartridges and there are different construction/composition all with the flex tip. I've considered carrying a 30/30 for brown bear loaded with the 140 grain MonoFlex just because it seems like I should give that rifle some field time.......

There is a another forum member (AK_Taxidermist) who has shot several moose with the .338 version in his .338 Marlin Express with perfect satisfaction.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I tried them in my Marlin 336 of 80s vintage. For me they shot much flatter than round or flat nosed bullets but accuracy wasn't good. I also had a few factory loaded rounds fail to fire on the first hammer drop.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Hornady bullets of this design tend to expand really fast and fragment. They'll kill deer sized game quickly with a good broadside shot in the vitals but they don't penetrate well enough for "Texas heart shots" or thick skinned and heavy boned game.

Also, while Hornady ammo is generally not expensive this is one case where you could save a substantial sum by shooting something else.

All that said, I like the concept and I'd try them again in a different gun if I had the chance.

Edit:
    I forgot about the MonoFlex bullets. I haven't tried them but I'm sure they are much tougher on game than those similar to the SSTs.