Thread: UCI sockeye forecast

Default UCI sockeye forecast

http://www.adn.com/2013/12/01/320795...ckeye-run.html

I have a question on something. this is the year class they are projecting.

For the Kenai River, the 2014 forecast calls for a sockeye run of about 3.8 million fish, which is equal to the 20-year average, but with a much larger proportion of fish that spend two years in freshwater and three years in the ocean

My question is are 2/3 fish the bigger ones? Last year the fish seemed to run smaller and usual based only on the fish we caught.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    http://www.adn.com/2013/12/01/320795...ckeye-run.html

I have a question on something. this is the year class they are projecting.

For the Kenai River, the 2014 forecast calls for a sockeye run of about 3.8 million fish, which is equal to the 20-year average, but with a much larger proportion of fish that spend two years in freshwater and three years in the ocean

My question is are 2/3 fish the bigger ones? Last year the fish seemed to run smaller and usual based only on the fish we caught.
    The 2.3 fish (6 years old two in freshwater three in salt) and the 1.3 (one in fresh three in salt) are about the same size. For example the average size different between the two is on the order of 3-4 mm (1/8th of an inch) with the 2.3 being larger. The reason for this is that both fish spend 3 years in salt water and that is where most of the growth takes place.

Pardon my ignorance but I've only ever fished the first run of reds on the Russian/Kenai. I'm told the second run are typically larger. Is the second run the same age (2/3) or are they just larger due to a few extra months at sea?

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Fin Chaser View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but I've only ever fished the first run of reds on the Russian/Kenai. I'm told the second run are typically larger. Is the second run the same age (2/3) or are they just larger due to a few extra months at sea?

Scott
    Scot the first run is usually more 3 ocean fish and the second 2 ocean which are smaller. These fish are headed above the falls. However, for the late run there is a good number of fish that spawn below the falls and these are usually 3 ocean as they rear in Skilak Lake. Just for comparsion a 2 freshwater 3 ocean fish will be about 1.5-2.0 inches longer. This varies from year to year based on year class strength but should give you some idea.

Cool, thanks for the info Nerka.

Scott