Thread: Montana Rifles, anyone have one?

Default Montana Rifles, anyone have one?

Does anyone here have one of the Montana Rifles and if so , how do they compare to a Kimber or M-70s?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Does anyone here have one of the Montana Rifles and if so , how do they compare to a Kimber or M-70s?
    I think there have been a couple different firms come and go that went by the name Montana Rifles. This I do know...there was a Montana Rifle Co. back in the 80's that was basically a 98 mauser action with a new sporter weight chrome molly barrel. They stocked their guns with either straight grained walnut or laminates like what Boyd"s offers. I had one in 30-06 that was everything anyone could ever possibly want in a hunting rifle. I was younger then and the P O Ackley kick was in full swing so. I made a trip to see Frank Brownell and he fixed me up with a 30-06 Improved reamer and a go and no go gauge. I didn't really know what I was doing back then but the chamber job came out perfect. However for some reason it wouldn't feed the improved cases after they had been fire formed. The feed rails were right for the standard 06 but the improved version was very iffy. So I tried to alter the feed rails and ended up with a single shot. Its funny now but weren't back then. I've since decided that 100 fps will not make a difference in the hunting world and just raise my eyebrows when I hear that someone is going to Ackley improve their gun.

I'm not certain but it seems to me that the rifles that are now Kimbers started out as Montana Rifles in their infancy. I've done no research but my old brain wants me to think that for some reason. Anyone know for sure?

http://www.montanarifleco.com/

These are the folks I was talking about... It looks like a Model 70 clone...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have been looking at these for a week now as they have. 416 in lefty. Hope to hear more.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Is that what your looking for, custom high end 70 type rifle?

My brother in-law is building a prototype 70 action now for the Dallas Safari Club show. He tells me he is scaling sizing it to 4 lengths eventually but is working on the Ultra/Lapua for the prototype. Everything he does is very top notch but I donít have much details and none Iím allowed to talk about yet.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have two of them. Being a Lefty I had a 338-06 and a .260 Rem made on the 1999 action. I would buy again. They have a 1999 XVR in production that would make a great rifle for around $1300. If you like the M-70 action you will like Montana Rifle Co. 1999. When they do come out with one in a Lefty .35 Whelen, I will jump on it.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbnek View Post
    I have two of them. Being a Lefty I had a 338-06 and a .260 Rem made on the 1999 action. I would buy again. They have a 1999 XVR in production that would make a great rifle for around $1300. If you like the M-70 action you will like Montana Rifle Co. 1999. When they do come out with one in a Lefty .35 Whelen, I will jump on it.
    American Vantage Rifle (AVR) - The AVR is a classic Dangerous Game rifle offered in either matte blued chrome moly steel or 100% stainless steel barreled actions with Marble Replaceable front and Rear Sights. The ASR in chrome moly blued steel is offered in a Glass Bedded field grade American Black Walnut stock and the AVR-SS is a stainless steel barreled action Glass Bedded in a field grade American Black Walnut stock. The AVR line is available in 35 Whelen, 375 H&H, 375 Ruger, 416 Rem Mag, 416 Ruger, 458 Lott, 458 Win Mag cartridges and in right or left hand configurations. MSRP $1279.00

Lefty .35 Whelen! I know Smedley......I just need to find one.

I was thinking of the 416 Rem for Africa. But I already have a .375 H&H that I love. In reality, a 416 would be nice for big brownies here, but the h&h is certainly enough gun for that. So my 416 would be used for cape buff and that only. I think I'll just stick with the h&h for Africa as it should be fine. Not like I'll be hunting Elephant or the such anytime soon.

Also, the CZ model 3 I believe it is, is made by Montana Rifle CO. It was sorta the same thing that happened when Ula had Colt make the Light Rifle. If you can find one they are usually pretty reasonably priced.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!