Thread: Kifaru Bikini Frame & Stone Glacier

Default Kifaru Bikini Frame & Stone Glacier

Looking at trying out a new pack. The problem is you can't roll into your local store and try on a Kifaru. Is anyone running the Kifaru Bikini frame? If so have you ran into any issues with the gap between the stays? Is there enough thickness in the stays and pads to keep the bag from pushing through and against your back? How much back and forth flex do you get in the stays when your moving around?

How does the Stone Glacier do in distributing the weight between the hips and lumbar? I realize this has quite a bit to do with body type but my Barney's carries most of the weight on my hips so I'd like a pack with a little better distribution.

Anyone tried both the Kifaru and Stone Glacier in the field?

I've hauled out animals with both. IMO they are the two best packs I've used as far as comfort goes for comfort in that style of pack (internal/external hybrid).

I have a Kifaru Bikini frame if you'd like to see it at some point we might be able to set something up.

Having hauled 11 animals out with mine I'll say the Kifaru Bikini works quite well. However so does the Stone Glacier. For me I perfer the how the waistbelt rides on the Kifaru over the Stone Glacier but that is more of a Ford/Chevy thing than one being better than the other.

Kifaru Bikini frame:

Stone Glacier:

Honestly can't go wrong with either pack IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    How does the Stone Glacier do in distributing the weight between the hips and lumbar? I realize this has quite a bit to do with body type but my Barney's carries most of the weight on my hips so I'd like a pack with a little better distribution.

Anyone tried both the Kifaru and Stone Glacier in the field?
    Can't answer the Kifaru questions, but the SG can be ordered with an adjustable lumbar pad. It has two layers of foam in it that you can remove individually or modify as needed. It can be adjusted from minimal lumbar pressure (no foam) too quite a bit (two layers). It's a pretty slick way of adjusting pack fit IMO.

I use one layer. For me, that just enough for solid contact, without causing too much pressure on my lower back. Other peoples backs will vary.

You might check in with the owner of SG. He had a demo pack or two in the Anchorage area for a while.

Yk

Luke, what bag are you using?

I'm kind of leaning toward the Kifaru due to the various bag options but would like to put my hand on both before I pull the trigger.