Thread: One powder for 9mm, 40 S&W, and 10 mm?

Default One powder for 9mm, 40 S&W, and 10 mm?

Got a Dillon 550B and plan to load the above calibers. Powder is sporadically available at my LGS, but what is there today is gone tomorrow. Would be great to get a jug and load all three rounds. Wondering if there is a single powder I could use to load all three calibers. Would prefer one that fills over half the case so double charges are not possible. I am brand new to reloading. Thanks for any powder suggestions you may have. If one size doesn't fit all so to speak, I would appreciate good powder suggestions for any of the calibers individually as well.

Dan

Universal, LongShot, AutoComp, Unique, Bullseye all will do fine in all of them.

If your looking for the 10mm to be full on like Double Tap loads that is Blue Dot. Now itís finicky, it doesnít meter well so youíll end up trickling every charge but if you want full house 10mm thatís where you get it.

I load all my 10mm 200g cast over Blue Dot and everything else for autos just gets Bullseye. Bullseye is the stuff in 45acp ball ammo, it doesnít set any speed records but is a very dependable and economical ole standby that works in just about any handgun for light to mid loads, light to upper end loads in the little cases like 380.

Itís building your habits that will prevent a double charge. I look into every case before and after the charging station then set a bullet on there. If in doubt I dump it out and set it aside then at the end with the press empty of other cases I fix the set aside ones. I run a Powder Cop die too but you canít on a 550 unless you can combine a couple things to free up a hole for it. Best defense is to visually verify the case was empty before charging, then that the charge looks good and mark it by setting the bullet on. Anything brakes that chain yank that case off the press to be figured out later . . . DonĎt try to fix it when your in production mode or youíll loose track of others on the press.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks again Andy.

In addition to the already mentioned powders try ; AA#5, HP-38, Win 231.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I reload on a 650 with a powder cop, so I'm not so concerned about double charging! HP-38/Win 231, AutoComp or HS6 will all work fine. HP-38 is cheaper than W231 by a couple bucks a pounds and meters well in the Dillon, so that would be my paper punching/low power loads. AutoComp will give you the most FPS and HS6 will fill your cases the fullest! Although I don't load much 10mm (only on a Redding T-7), I do load about 8k a year of the other 2 and I'm perfectly happy with HP-38. It's clean and meters great! I only reload jacketed bullets!

You never want to get complacent and should visually inspect each filled case, but I wouldn't be too concerned about double charges. Once you get a routine, double charges will be easy to catch as both hands on a 550 are always busy. If you forget to advance the shell plate, you may charge the same case twice, but you will also have to seat one bullet on top of another Where you get into trouble is trying to load a single round when verifying charge weight or bullet seating depth.

Went to my somewhat LGS today and scored three pounds of Longshot and five pounds of CFE-223. Wasn't much to choose from. They had WST but no other powders I had heard about for pistols. Wanted to say thanks for your help here. Will use all three for 9 mm, 40 S&W, and 10 mm till I can track down a few other powders.

Dan

Titegroup is my go to for these calibers. Unique is a very very close second. Both produce decent speeds efficiently.

If you had said 9mm-45 colt, it would definitely be unique, a bit slower and better for larger bullets. I've even loaded some plinker rounds for my 454 casull with unique that were no laughing matter.

As far as an "all around" pistol powder if you aren't worried about hand cannon power, those two will literally do it all.

Any handloader should be completely happy with a big jug of unique and a big jug of h-110 and feel comfortable with any caliber. Of course any handloader doesn't last a week before he wants to try something new, but that's the name of the game.