Thread: First day, first stand, first lynx of the season

Default First day, first stand, first lynx of the season

Woke up later than I wanted to this morning but still got out and did a little calling. First stand and was there for 20 minutes calling o the a 2minute on 2 minute off schedule. I had just shut off the call and was doing my last look around when almost behind me I see in a shadow what looks like half of the head of a lynx. I watch but couldn't make it out exactly but it sure looks like an ear to me. I watch it for a few minutes and no movement. I slowly hit the button to turn the call back on as soon as it started back up I see that ear move. So now I start the ever so slow turn to get a shot. Just as I get turned and the gun to the shoulder the cat starts to walk to my right it only made it about two steps till she was anchored by a 3 1/2" load of heavy metal dead coyote from the beretta.
    This was the first predator I have killed with heavy metal and I was impressed. No damage and 35yd shot hit her like a truck.

Sent while hiding from the boss

Great looking cat. congratulations!

Congratulations.....very nice. Any lice, flea on the cat....???

Fantastic! That's an excellent success rate - 100% so far!

Are you calling in really tight terrain that you're using a shotgun instead of a rifle? Also, with regards to your two on, two off calling - has that worked well for you in the past? I've been calling continuously the past two years without any silence breaks and have done well on cats, but haven't called in any fox or coyotes. I'm curious if I need to add in some silent breaks.

Awesome man!! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome sir! I would love to shoot or trap a lynx and have it tanned or mounted I think they are beautiful critters! Well done.
    In the late 70's and early 80's my favorite coyote and fox set up was a 10ga semi auto Ithica stoked full of 3 1/2in 4 buck. You could roll em out to about 100yards on crossing shots - very deadly...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Jeese......some guys got all the luck!!! Congrats Tony! I'd say that's being pretty confident bringing out the scattergun!

I take it you got her somewhere around home here?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Fantastic! That's an excellent success rate - 100% so far!

Didn't see any flees on this one but the last one I got was covered with them.

Are you calling in really tight terrain that you're using a shotgun instead of a rifle? Also, with regards to your two on, two off calling - has that worked well for you in the past? I've been calling continuously the past two years without any silence breaks and have done well on cats, but haven't called in any fox or coyotes. I'm curious if I need to add in some silent breaks.
    You know I have tried everything from continuous calling for 30 minutes to 1 minute on and 10 off and everything in between.
    I tend to do more calling than silence though. I'm still searching for that magic timing.
    We don't have a lot of open areas and what looks better to me is more closed in so I started carrying my shotgun more and this is the first time I have gotten to use it and I was more than impressed with the performance of it.
    I carry both my rifle and shotgun in my truck so depending on where I go to call I am more flexible. Up to this point I have only ever killed predators with my rifle and now that I have used the scatter gun, I'll be using it a lot more in tighter areas

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I searched and never seen even one flee on this one. The last one I got was covered with them

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Jeese......some guys got all the luck!!! Congrats Tony! I'd say that's being pretty confident bringing out the scattergun!

I take it you got her somewhere around home here?
    Yeah I was only about 10 miles from the house. I knew the areas I'd be in and was going to call at and in those spots anything I seen was going to be within about 75 yds so I felt pretty good with the shottie

Nice Lynx Tony. Is that shotgun a Xtrema 2 and what choke are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by Team Kabob View Post
    Nice Lynx Tony. Is that shotgun a Xtrema 2 and what choke are you running?
    It's the beretta extreme a400 and I'm running a pattern master extended range choke in it

Tony,
    Did you pattern that choke? I'm just curious how many pellets are hitting an area at 50 yards or so. I patterned my SBE2 with the Dead Yote choke shooting the 3 1/2" Dead Yote rounds and it kept around 10 to 12 pellets in an 8" circle at 65 yards. I did get a lynx at 68 yards with it too, so it's pretty effective even if you have to reach out there a little bit.

Right on nice cat! great to see some fur down this year!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Congrats, beautiful cat! I heard they are actually pretty good eating. Let us know how you like the meat if you try it.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I heard they are actually pretty good eating. Let us know how you like the meat if you try it.
    They're very good eating! I made my first one into stir-fry, and it was excellent! Light meat like chicken, but richer in flavor (in a very good way).

Brian, you just made me hungry, and I already ate dinner. One of these days when I get time, I'll have to go look for one of those cats. I called one in a few years ago, but it was a week before open season for Lynx so I had to let it go.

I see you're another Sriracha fan as well.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I see you're another Sriracha fan as well.
    For my fellow sriracha fans:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/sriracha

^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    For my fellow sriracha fans:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/sriracha
    Haha, that was pretty funny, Sriracha is the only way to go!
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson