Thread: 70 north hunt

Default 70 north hunt

Anyone know the contact email for 70 north? Is the seventynorth.com website theirs. I am trying to set up a caribou drop hunt with them. Any idea price tags for caribou drop hunts?

Mavsmuk-

You have the correct web site. Although the website focuses primarily on their logistical support for research and oil interests, they also transport hunters. The email contact is at the bottom of their website. They have reasonable prices for the area they fly and a quick search into the forum archives will reveal that they are considered a reputable outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavsmuk View Post
    Anyone know the contact email for 70 north? Is the seventynorth.com website theirs. I am trying to set up a caribou drop hunt with them. Any idea price tags for caribou drop hunts?
    There are other outfitters up there...PM Sent with problems I had this year with a certain outfitter, hope it helps.

I just talked to Mike, last Friday, to set up a hunt next year for my son, a friend, and myself. Price depends somewhat on where you want to go. He quoted me $2000 to $2150, depending on which sub unit we end up going to. His phone number is 907-659-2544, and e-mail is operations@SEVENTYNORTH.COM
    Knute

Quote Originally Posted by Knute78 View Post
    I just talked to Mike, last Friday, to set up a hunt next year for my son, a friend, and myself. Price depends somewhat on where you want to go. He quoted me $2000 to $2150, depending on which sub unit we end up going to. His phone number is 907-659-2544, and e-mail is operations@SEVENTYNORTH.COM
    Knute
    Is that price with return flights with five caribou per person? Or did they limit the amount of caribou you can harvest?

That price is round trip for each hunter and gear. Not real sure yet if that includes meat haul. All 3 of us are non-res, and we're going to either 26B or 26C, depending on where the greater concentration of bou are at that time. The limit is 5 in 26B and 2, in 26C. We will probably not take any more than 4 total, given the opportunity. We are doing a very early hunt, the 1st week of August, as my son is a high school teacher and football coach, and has to be back here to Kansas by the 16th of August. We are driving up and back, just like we did in 2010, so our days driving will be about 6 days each way.

That price is round trip for each hunter and gear. Not real sure yet if that includes meat haul. All 3 of us are non-res, and we're going to either 26B or 26C, depending on where the greater concentration of bou are at that time. The limit is 5 in 26B and 2, in 26C. We will probably not take any more than 4 total, given the opportunity. We are doing a very early hunt, the 1st week of August, as my son is a high school teacher and football coach, and has to be back here to Kansas by the 16th of August. We are driving up and back, just like we did in 2010, so our days driving will be about 6 days each way.
    Sounds like you guys will be very good. I will say they put you right on the heard, people were coming back last year saying they had to shoooo some cows out of their camp there were so many. O and for that early....dont forget your full body mosquito nets...

thanks for the help. Their website threw me off.

Had a buddy and co-worker do this hunt this year and got some big bulls. He said he had to pay extra to haul out the meat and trophies. But I think this was because they were overweight for the second trip out. So they had to pay for the plane to fly out and back one more time. They had four guys and brought back 7 caribou.

I am not speaking for them but I do not know of any transporter that will cover 5 caribou in the transport fee. I have seen some do one caribou maybe two MAYBE but not 4 ....5 per-man.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

You would want to get a real clear picture of what you were paying for ahead of time. When they quote you a flat rate like $2100. What does that include? What kind of aircraft, carrying how many people or weight how far (time) in the air. If extra flying is needed, what is the hourly rate. Also if they are hauling hunters out on the way to pick you up, you should not have to pay both ways. Also how much experience does the pilot have who is flying you? Some of these outfits hire low time pilots, who are trying to break into the business. If they are sticking you with seasonal low time pilots, fly with someone else...

I have very little experience up there with flight transporters, but I don't think that you are going to get a discount for the transporter flying other people on the plane when you or your gear are not in it. We were told by 70N that if we were overweight with meat we'd be charged for a meat run. There were 4 of us, with 6 caribou and 2 griz, 3 bou capes and they did a hop 1/2 way in the helio and 2 guys to a strip where the 206 could help shuttle. We did not get charged extra. I think that 1 more bou and we reasonably would have expected more costs. If we'd have had our limit of 17 (available legal tags with us) I am positive we'd have experienced more expense - and would have had to wait up to several more days back at the truck for the rest of the meat to come out due to weather and backlog on getting hunters in/out of the field. We could have easily tagged our full limit of caribou.

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    I am not speaking for them but I do not know of any transporter that will cover 5 caribou in the transport fee. I have seen some do one caribou maybe two MAYBE but not 4 ....5 per-man.
    Talon air (in Soldotna) hunting the Mulchatna herd does allow 5 caribou per person when they quote you a price, at least the last few times I flew with them. The were flying a beaver and/or an otter though.
    BK

Thanks for all the info. The whole paying per person for a drop off is a little new to me. I use a lot of charters for work but with them we pay for fought time on an aircraft. If they are dropping people off before picking us up the cost is split and each party benefits. And what if the herd happens to be closer flight distance? Of are they usually in predictable spot each year and the charter has a good idea of flight time way ahead. It seems most the charters up there are charging per person so might just be the way it's done.

I think that the charters up there use any chance of a closer drop to help their profit margin. Same with taking a group in and picking up another group. From what I saw - that is the only way that 70's two planes could possibly keep up with getting their hunters in/out of the field. Their pilots can only fly so many hours a day and make so many trips.

If you plan to go farther, 70N will charge you more. Getting to actually land where you want takes patience - weather is often a factor in the Brooks. Plan for delays at BOTH ends of your trip. If you don't have any - consider yourself lucky.