Thread: Alaska of Yesteryear

Default Alaska of Yesteryear

An awesome reminder of what Alaska used to be like.

around 9:05. NO TACKLE RESTRICTIONS ANYTHING GOES. You think that has something to do with the declines in fish numbers? Cool to see for sure though.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Incredible reminder! I visited all of Ray Petersen's Katmai area facilities many times. In those days, he had just converted the Cessna Bamboo Bomber from the 225 Jacobs engines to the P&W 450s, and added a HUGE loading door on the left side. My friend John Walatka was the pilot in those days, and he would fly the Bushmaster with his feet crossed and a big hawkbill pipe in his mouth. Ah, those were the days !!!

I know it no longer would have belonged to Petersen, but I saw a "bamboo bomber" on floats anchored out on Aleknagik in the 80s. I wonder if it was the same one.

We used to stay in the old NCA cabin at the mouth of the Peace River when moose hunting. Porcupines loved to eat that place!

Interesting video. Alaska sure has changed since 1959.

Back then there were...... No mosquitos. No bears. No clouds or rain. Activities in bush Alaska include waterskiing, swimming, and throwing a baseball. Everyone goes to rural Alaska wearing three piece suits and ties. There were no tackle restrictions. Native Alaskans didn't exist, apparently. The only people who can put a line in the water are middle-aged white males. And an Indian chief. Those were the good ole' days.

Then came Statehood. And everything changed....... (tongue firmly in cheek)

A fun video to watch nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Cohoangler View Post

Back then there were...... No mosquitos.
    I was wondering myself why those guys weren't constantly slapping there necks etc while out fishing. Must have been those industrial strength chemicals they had back then.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I was wondering myself why those guys weren't constantly slapping there necks etc while out fishing. Must have been those industrial strength chemicals they had back then.
    That DDT aftershave worked wonders back then...

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Fin Chaser View Post
    That DDT aftershave worked wonders back then...

Scott
    The GI jungle juice we were issued on survey crews in the 70s melted watch crystals and glasses frames, helped start fires... and, oh, did an admirable job driving off white sox and no-see-ums. Deet does work.

Guys, this movie was meant to draw people instead of driving them off. Idealized? I'm sure it was. I used to fish like that with my Eskimo friends on the Igushik River lakes and I don't regret one second of it. Great times and fine eating.

Man it sure doesn't look anything close to that now………..I got a big kick out of the girl water skiing on Naknek lake. I also didn't realize that Brooks was that old. Thanks Sayak for posting this, it is nice to see on one hand, but heart wrenching on the other that it has changed that much. The one thing it seems to me that hasn't changed is the majority of the people that travel there are still the suits.