Thread: AR15 LOP, I need two more inches... And 1/8-1/4 cheek riser ideas...

Default AR15 LOP, I need two more inches... And 1/8-1/4 cheek riser ideas...

Got a fixed magpul moe rifle stock on my Barnes Precision AR15. Really need about 2 more inches. See the magpul 0.80 extended pad only nets 0.5" gain. The $250 Magpul PRS adjustable stock, which I can't afford, will give me 1.5" extra if I put the extended .80 pad on it. However, it does have the comb adjustment, which I need as I am 1/8-1/4" too low to look through scope with a good cheek weld. But might find some sheet foam or something for that or run across a stick on cheek riser of sorts. But the length of pull is ridiculously short and I can't get this target/sniper set up dialed in as it is so ill fitting. Without spending $250 on the PRS, does anyone have any suggestions?

Dan

Magpul makes a cheek riser for the MOE stocks. It should snap onto the MOE fixed stock.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG325/31

As for LOP, I'm not sure how to help. If you don't like the carbine LOP, you could go with a rifle stock, but that would also require you to replace the buffer tube and the buffer itself. The standard rifle stock is only about $70, but the tube and the buffer would nearly double that. You'd probably still be looking at $100-120.

You could add a limbsaver recoil pad to the stock. I know it's goofy, but not really anymore goofy than cutting foam and duct taping it, right? I think they make a 1" extension pad. BUT, if this is a target/sniper set up, you're probably going to suffer some instability if you use that.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Got a fixed magpul moe rifle stock on my Barnes Precision AR15. Really need about 2 more inches.....

Dan
    The MOE rifle stock should be 13.3" lop or thereabouts. Are you sure you need 15-15.5" lop on a rifle? You could (or have someone else) grind a .250 spacer to fit the extended pad and get over 14 inches or add several of them if necessary. What is your normal lop? As for comb height, most any additional height is going to interfere with the charging handle unless you plan around it. You can't simply tape an inch of foam on top and get everything to function.

If I needed those additional characteristics, I'd go PRS and be done with it
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Might not be a bad play. lop is a tough one. I already got the fixed magpul 'rifle' stock and changed buffer tube and such. My right arm is bent way to much on the bench and trigger finger doesn't feel natural. Not sure exactly what lop I need, just guessing at 1.5-2". Maybe an inch would make an appreciable difference. As for ckeek riser, found the Cheek-eez sorbothane by limbsaver on Brownells. Comes in 1/16", 1/8", and 1/4", etc. I think 1/8" May do it and could stack 1/16" on top to get natural position. That seems easier a fix than my lop issue. Appreciate the replies fellas. Got some work to do to get the most out of this gun. It is pretty ill fitting at the moment.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Might not be a bad play. lop is a tough one. I already got the fixed magpul 'rifle' stock and changed buffer tube and such. My right arm is bent way to much on the bench and trigger finger doesn't feel natural. Not sure exactly what lop I need, just guessing at 1.5-2". Maybe an inch would make an appreciable difference.

Dan
    Fitting a stock is dependent upon a person's build and I'm not going to tell you how in one or two steps a way that will give you the precise measurement. What I will say is that an average build guy will find 13 3/8 to 13 5/8 fits them pretty good . Of course some people aren't anything like average. I'm 6'3" and wear 37 inch sleeves. I generally go 14.0 LOP and find that works pretty well in all seasons, though for a dedicated winter rifle I'll go a bit shorter and I might go a tad longer with some style stocks so long as I'm in a shirt with no overcoat. When changing the LOP a little goes a long.......

If you decide to part with the MOE rifle stock and go another route let me know, I'd be interested in buying it from you.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Will do man. Appreciate the advice. Perhaps I will bite this off a bit at a time. An inch may make a difference. Will try that first. The DPMS one inch spacer might do the trick. Then could add the 0.80 magpul prs extended butt pad to net another 0.5" if needed.

Dan

You might look at switching out your pistol grip for one with a more vertical angle to it. The MOE-K2 or the BCM Gunfighter series perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
    You might look at switching out your pistol grip for one with a more vertical angle to it. The MOE-K2 or the BCM Gunfighter series perhaps.
    Seems to me that would defeat the intent. The vertical grip was made to counter the shorter stock choices of the carbines. Originally the M16 was designed to fire across the body similar to the old fashioned muskets. If you hold it that way, with the right elbow up and away from the body, the grip works. But with the shorter stocks, the new style is to hold the rifle in front of the body, more like a pistol. That shortened LOP caused difficulty on the strong hand which lead to the more vertical grips. If the intent is a more rifle style shooting position, the vertical grip might make things worse. Then again, every body is different and maybe it would feel better?

I lean to the vertical grips on carbines myself, but I'm not going "rifle" style shooting if you will.

Go on the Brownell's web site and look at this. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...-prod9927.aspx I actually have two of them here at the shop.

With regard to comb height, I don't know if there's enough clearance with the scope/rings you have, but what about getting lower rings?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!