Thread: Drag question, AVET reel for cod/halibut jigging. Raptor or not?

Default Drag question, AVET reel for cod/halibut jigging. Raptor or not?

I'm looking at getting myself a new AVET MXJ 6/4 (LOVE the 2-speed) but I'm having a hard time figuring out whether or not to get the "raptor" model, with the extra drag capacity.

AVET's specs say the regular (non-raptor) reel has a strike/full drag of 9/14 pounds or 23/31 for the raptor model. Is the extra drag needed? Bargains aside, the price listed on AVET's site is $280 versus $420...a significant difference.

(Full reel specs here: http://www.avetreels.net/MX_SERIES_REELS.html )
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Others will most assuredly disagree, but on my rods with my back doing the slugging, my MXJ 5.8's have entirely enough drag for me. I'd reconsider if I was sawing on yellowfin, but in my firsthand experience halibut to 300# are a non-issue with the standard drag.

I have all avets. 7 reels from my trolling poles to halibut and jig poles. You will never need the extra drag unless you trying to reel up the boats anchor and then you don't need it. I my self love the sx 6/4 in two speed.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Mr. Fish, the reel you have will those catch fish but will probably need gone through sooner than a bigger reel but generally it is only the bearings as the reels are very well made. The Raptor does give you a lot more drag and I talked to the Avet rep about them and like I said to him that the drag on the reels I generally use, LX's for halibut (sometimes the MXL) is more than enough and why would I pay the extra for a Raptor. His answer was that indeed my reels do have enough drag for pretty much any halibut up here but the idea behind the raptor is you can get the same amount of drag as a regular reel with much less side load on your bearings and thus they will last longer. So I guess it depends on how much you use them to whether or not the raptors are worth the extra money. They are great reels, good luck
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Great input guys, thanks. I already have a PRO EXW 4/02 and love it, especially the 2-speed but it's a beast of a reel (weight-wise) if you're going to hold it for any length of time. I've had it for at least 6 years now and it's been bulletproof, but I only use it 6-8 times a year, so given how well the AVET's are made, I doubt I'll wear out any of their gear...
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Default avet LX 6/3

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Great input guys, thanks. I already have a PRO EXW 4/02 and love it, especially the 2-speed but it's a beast of a reel (weight-wise) if you're going to hold it for any length of time. I've had it for at least 6 years now and it's been bulletproof, but I only use it 6-8 times a year, so given how well the AVET's are made, I doubt I'll wear out any of their gear...
    I've been fishing my LX 6/3 down in Cabo for 6 or 7 years and caught a bunch striped marlin, tuna and dorado on it with no issues...plenty of drag.

Like MRFISH I also have a two speed 4/0 EXW on my Lamiglas 5' 6" rod. With that combo it is balanced nicely, and is awesome for halibut. Only the big ones take line.

I have a whole bunch of Avets though. I recently got a magnetic SX for my bottom jigging rod, way cool for Lings, Kings, and rockfish. It has handled a few halibut too. Its on a Shimano one piece carbon fiber jig stick.

I don't think the Raptor is needed the two speed MXL is plenty. My 4/0 EXW is really just a waste of 80lb spectra. I usually fish less than 150 feet deep but have done 300. The MXL can hold that much.

Always rinse with freshwater at the end of the day, back the drags off, and every year or two take them to a reel shop for maintenance. Have them Reverse the spectra line too.

Sobie2

We run some older Avet reels on our halibut rods.

Our reels appear to be much larger than the MX series, possibly they are or were what is now the EX series.

We set them up with 80 lb line and have never had a drag issue, although we do take them in for service every other year.

Like many other listed - I have a plethora of Avet's. Pro EX 4/02, HX5/2, Raptor JX6/3, MXJ6/4, Pair of MXL5.8 - the JX Raptor is on my everything Jig Rod ( 7' Seeker Hercules) and my MXJ6/4 is on a 7' Diawa 25-55lb Saltist which I use for rock fish/lings and the occasional halibut

I don't discount anything anyone has mentioned above about what reel can bring up halibut... I have brought up some big fish on light tackle and while it was fun, I wanted something designed to handle the repeated use.

Could I have saved a few hundred dollars and gone with a JX 6/3 and made it work on all of the halibut I catch - absolutely. I wanted more drag for those times when a fish just doesn't seem to get tired and I don't want to have my reel at full drag. At Strike my Raptor has far more drag than what the JX reels are at full. Is it more than I will ever need in Alaska on a Jig Rod - probably but I'm okay with that.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Many of the biggest sport caught Halibut have been caught on Penn 113H's and if I remember correctly they have about 8-12 lbs of drag when they are new. All of the Avets are better than that so to each there own. In reality you don't need 22 lbs of drag to stop any fish in AK... unless you are catching a porpoise... but if you want then that is fine.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

you guys got it. The Raptor is great for huge game fish but there is not way I would want to hang on to a big halibut, the way we fish, with that kind of drag. I do have one that I fish with in Kona that reportedly can put 118 pounds of drag….I never use more than 40 pounds, in a fighting chair for huge marlin and tuna. It is just too much for a mortal.
    See you next week.

I have two avet sx's, which have the same 9/14 rating as the mx, three jx's which are rated at 15/20 and a jx raptor that is rated at 28/38. I use daiwa saltiga PE-4 55# braid and PE-5 70# braid.

Last year I hooked a couple of lingcod with a 9' mh salmon rod with the sx reel PE-4 line and I was using my thumb for additional drag as the lings had no problem ripping line off and they weren't exceptionally large fish ~34" (yes it went back) and ~37". I also hooked a ~90# halibut with a rod with a JX reel and while the fish definately pulled some line at times I found the drag to be reasonable, though IMHO ideal would be a reel that was 20# at strike and 25-28# max drag.

It's important to realize that as we've made the change to braided line that has almost no stretch that reel drags trake alot more of the force of a fight vs. mono on an old school penn senator. So I'd say don't ignore the drag rating of a reel. But be realistic as to how much drag you can handle. I'd venture to say you seldom want to fight a fish using more than 20# of drag unless you're in a fighting chair and I recomend using a fighting belt when running over 15#'s or more drag.

My suggestion is if you're going with a single drag washer avet reel, go with a minimum of a JX, and if you want more drag I'd look at the sx raptor. An SX can hold over 300yds of braid so that would be my choice over the MX, why go with a heavier reel that doesn't have more drag. The two speed is nice, but honestly I found I preferred fishing the single speed JX's over the JX raptor due to the lighter weight of the standard JX (that and my youngest son seemed to always grab the rod with teh jx raptor)

Next season I think I'll be adding an SX raptor to the arsenol to see how I like it.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Here are my two favorite set up. Whopper Stopper with avet sx 2 speed and then one a shimano.which has been replaced with an avet.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..