Thread: Hooligan for Dog Food?

Default Hooligan for Dog Food?

I'm pretty much out of old salmon for my yellow lab. I do however have quite a bit of hooligan I planned to use for halibut bait and never went halibut fishing this summer. Has anybody fed hooligan to their dogs? This past year I started mixing a little bit of salmon in with his dry food and of course now he's spoiled. I was thinking about doing the same with the hooligan. Sound like a plan....???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I had never tasted hooligan. So I went and caught a about a 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket full. Talked to some friends that love them and tried the methods that they cooked them. Not my cup of tea. I tried to smoke them and that did not work. I tossed a couple to my labs and they loved them. I smoked the rest of what I had and they became doggy Popsicles. I would pop a couple out of the baggy that I froze them in and they scarfed them up. I fed them one a day each and I did not notice any bad things happen. Their coats seemed shiny and no digestion issues. That being said, my dogs were outside dogs. They got hooligan every year.

Quote Originally Posted by REFAK View Post
    I had never tasted hooligan. So I went and caught a about a 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket full. Talked to some friends that love them and tried the methods that they cooked them. Not my cup of tea. I tried to smoke them and that did not work. I tossed a couple to my labs and they loved them. I smoked the rest of what I had and they became doggy Popsicles. I would pop a couple out of the baggy that I froze them in and they scarfed them up. I fed them one a day each and I did not notice any bad things happen. Their coats seemed shiny and no digestion issues. That being said, my dogs were outside dogs. They got hooligan every year.
    Great.....thanks for that. I am going to go ahead and try it anyway as I've got no more of last years salmon.........and he sure isn't getting any of this years....lol. I was indeed wondering how I should cook them for him. Was thinking about putting them in a big pot and boiling them too. But I may end up putting a bunch of them on the grill as that's the way he gets his salmon. Maybe I'll try both ways.......

Thanks......

Oh.....and after being in AK. for over 30 years now, this year was the first time I ever tried them too..........lol. Didn't think they were the greatest, but not too bad either........
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

boiled is the most common way of cooking them in rural areas.
    i have a dog w/food allergies and feed him a ton of it mixed w/sweet potato