Thread: where around anchorage to black bear hunt?

Default where around anchorage to black bear hunt?

alright, i live in near nome alaska and don't have black bear adn want one...this july, my brother is coming into anchorage for three days. I would like to take him bear hunting since he willnot need a guide for griz bears and i need a black for this year.

where would we go with a rental truck to hunt both black and griz bear....somewhere near anchorage or within several hours...maybe something with a cabin, or even we could rent a raft, canoe or bikes to get to where we needed...

my brother is not a rough it hunter....so, we don't want to back pack miles into the woods....

thanks for any help,
    scotty
    Scotty in the AK bush

scotty - I don't think Grizzly hunting is really going to be an option. Technically the season will be open in unit 13, but hunting grizzly there without roughing it a little? Well...very slim pickings next to the road. You'd be looking at a 3 hour drive from Anchorage (at least), and then dumb luck on finding a bear anywhere near the rad.

For blacks you have a little more in the way of options. Your best bet for someone who doesn't want to hike much would be to drive the Seward Highway between Turnagain Pass and Seward while glassing the mountainsides. Be aware, though, that most of the black bears you spot will be 1,000-2,000 feet up very steep mountains covered with alders and other tough vegetation. They may be close to the road, but it's still not an easy hunt.

By the way, is your brother aware that bears in July will not have thick, shiny coats? July is the worst month of the year for the fur quality of bears, though the meat on blackies (as long as they're not a salmon stream) should be great.

Good luck!

-Brian

If the season is open and you really wanna shoot a grizz check out a Mahays drop off up the talkeetna. There will still be some walking, but how heavy can a skull and hide be? Plus you got all the great bear trails to walk on
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    There will still be some walking, but how heavy can a skull and hide be?

Heavy enough dry...pray that the bear doesn't die in the water/swamp/mud......

He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches.
    --G.B. Shaw
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Packing head and hides

If you haven't done it, don't think for one minute it is an easy thing to do. Isn't a tough as some of the moose I have had to pack, but isn't a Sunday walk, either.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Packed both last week!!!!

Scored a double on bears this weekend out of Valdez. Packed both bears out along the tide line. Brown bear hide and skull was 75lbs. The black bear was a heart breaker. Jake packed it out for me in a race with the tide. The hide was 37lbs, the skull 11 lbs, 92 lbs of meat on the bone. 60 lbs after it was boned out. total for that pack out was 140 lbs. Plus it was all wet. Just what we had.
    Good luck.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Hawken54 View Post
    If you haven't done it, don't think for one minute it is an easy thing to do. Isn't a tough as some of the moose I have had to pack, but isn't a Sunday walk, either.
    I'm just saying packing out 100 pounds of fur and skull (no clue what they'd actually weigh) are a lot easier than packing out say 800 pounds of moose, IMO walking a ways seriously increases your chances of being successful...

Plus after taking a bear I'm sure you guys would be stoked enough to get the job done right?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Packing bears

Difference sometimes is one pack trip for most bears versus many for even an average moose. A bear hide can get very heavy, especially a big brownie. One of the most gruelling packs I have done was on Hinchinbrook with my brown bear and head. It was large, awkward and wet.

Yes, just the fact you have to pack one makes the work worth every step.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???