Thread: Skid plates

Default Skid plates

Posting this for a buddy of mine:

He bought a Ranger 800 (full size) 4x4 last year and the under belly needs some protection. He has looked online and found some that he is thinking of having Carlile ship up for him. We have been looking in Alaska but have been unsuccessful in locating anyone here who sells skid plates (steel, aluminum or UHMW). Can someone please point us in the right direction on who to contact to acquire a set of full under belly plates? I know he is considering custom making some UHMW plates from sheets, but I think he may want to push the metaphorical "easy button".

I originally posted this in the Mods forum but thought this would get more views. Thanks for any and all input.

KP.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Alaska Spring & Performance in Anchorage can get you Warn Industries brand ATV body armor.

My RZR had a full poly skid plate on it when I bought it. I won't take the time to remove it but I wouldn't spend a dime on another one. What a pain to work on the machine and the plate collects more dirt and mud than I would have believed. Just my opinion after having one, take it FWIW.

My 2013 Prowler also has poly skid plates front to back and a standard item. As MR Pid said they are a plain when it come to working on the machine but they sure are nice. I think that the poly skid plates are a better option over steel. Not only do they not dent but they tend to 'slide' over stuff. Our 4 wheelers also have ploy skid plates from the factory and they are nice. Still a plain to work around but nice just the same.

Poly is the way to go and I'm trying to convince him of that. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

CAC in Wasilla has the UHMW.. May use this for ours as well as my Audi TT..

Quote Originally Posted by kenaiphisher View Post

I know he is considering custom making some UHMW plates from sheets
    Dont use CAC Plastics in Wasilla unless you're interested in another home equity loan. Try Alaska Rubber in Anchorage, dont know if their Valley store is still around.

I love the Ricochet plates I bought. They cut me an awesome deal when I ordered three sets at the same time-one for my buddy and sets for the wife and I. Call them, tell them you are in AK and they will work a shipping deal for you too. If you can find some others looking to buy armor as well, order several sets at the same time to save big bucks. There may be some other forum members hunting for armor.

http://www.ricochetoffroad.com/store/page497.html
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Hey guys buy yourselves a sheet of 1/8" thick 5052 grade Aluminum and cut your own skid plates. The last 4'X8' sheet of aluminum cost about $150.00 but I split it with a buddy $75.00 a piece and we both got skid plates out of it plus a couple A-Arm/CV boot guards.