Thread: Lowrance HDS-5 Gen2 plotter/finder ?

Default Lowrance HDS-5 Gen2 plotter/finder ?

I just noticed West Marine has the above unit with Nautic insight & transducer on sale for $499 thru 12-1.
    At this price point is it worth picking up? Does anyone have one & like or dislike it?
    It would be used on my skiff out of Seward & Homer, & eventually I would like to network it to radio & GPS antenna, as well as have realistic fuel flow / burn rates with a suzuki 115. Of course this will require a purchase of nema parts, & hiring someone to hook them up & explain how to use them.

I own four Lowrance products at this time. None of them are the one you asked about. They have done very good for several years and they had very good customer service. This has all changed now. They still have a decent product but there customer service has hit rock bottom. You can spend an hour on the phone on hold or being jacked around with a computer and never get to talk to anyone. Try calling there customer service and see if you can get through to them. This is the only fault I have with them and I like there products, but when I have problems I will replace them with something else unless they improve there customer service.

I am sorry to take this thread off course but this is something that needs to be fixed. There customer service.

Thanks for the advice. Like you said if I buy it expecting it to work with a network & it doesn't than next fishing season I am sitting around with $700+ of frustration. Sounds like it might be better to keep looking for awhile.

A lot of my friends use Lowrance also. We have had a few problems with them and it takes forever to get to talk to them to get it fixed. I like there products and we have spoke to management about customer service. If they do not improve the customer service we will be replacing our equipment with something else when we have trouble.

I was just talking with West Marine and they said they were having a 15 percent off on items ordered and sent to the store. If you decide to buy ask about the sale, may save you more.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning