Thread: Kotz vs Haul Road Caribou

Default Kotz vs Haul Road Caribou

I am in the process of planning a caribou hunt for next year and am trying to decide between flying out of kotz or flying off the haul road. I know the timing for these would be different. Kotz could be a caribou/moose hunt and the haul might be a sheep/caribou. Any opinion on which way to go. And what are opinions of float vs drop hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by Mavsmuk View Post
    I am in the process of planning a caribou hunt for next year and am trying to decide between flying out of kotz or flying off the haul road. I know the timing for these would be different. Kotz could be a caribou/moose hunt and the haul might be a sheep/caribou. Any opinion on which way to go. And what are opinions of float vs drop hunt?
    If cost wasn't an issue, I'd go to Kotz in a heartbeat. Way less hunting pressure and better quality hunting if you ask me. But if you are after a sheep, then go to the North Slope. Very limited sheep hunting out in Kotz I believe. If it were me I would always choose a float hunt over a drop hunt for moose and caribou. The down side of a float hunt is the increase in cost. But I like having the option of moving down river if I'm not seeing game. Especially if you have a larger hunting party. Nothing sucks more than being stuck in a location for days without any animals moving and no option but to wait. Float hunts offer you more terrain to hunt. Float hunting for sheep is usually limited to pack rafting. Prime sheep terrain has small drainages that can only be floated by a pack raft or small inflatable rafts so leave the round boats and cats at home for a sheep hunt.

I'd do Kotz I think. If flying out from the Haul, don't expect to be alone in the Brooks for sheep. If caribou is your primary, then I think I'd rather have a crack at a moose than a sheep.

For a resident, bou bag limit is the same for each unit. Res moose in unit 23 is Sept 1-20 for HT hunt and antler spread minimum. Not much moose opportunity in unit 26.
    Check out the cost of each place.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!