Thread: .45 Colt/.454 Casull recoil video

Default .45 Colt/.454 Casull recoil video

Was bored and going through some video from the summer. I bought a new Ruger SRH Toklat .454 Casull and filmed the recoil over three different ammunition types during it's break-in. Thought some might like to see the difference between the different loadings. Nothing scientific here and was not concerned with hold or accuracy...just running some ammo through the new gun. On a side note, I am really loving this gun and it works great...have yet to have any cases stick in the cylinder and have shot quite a few 400g hardcast out of it. Shooting .45 Colt cowboy rounds is like plinking with a .22.

First shots are with Buffalo Bore .45 Colt+P 360g hardcast. The felt recoil was virtually identical to the .44 magnum DT 320g hardcast fired from my 5" Ruger SRH. After looking at some old video the muzzle jump is about the same as well.

Second series of shots are with .454 Barnes Vortex 255g lead-free hollow points. These rounds had some nasty snap to them but the recoil felt fast and could likely follow-up with shots using this ammo in a hunting situation.

Third shots are .454 Cor-Bon Hunter or Penetrator 360g jacketed hardcast. These rounds pushed pretty hard and had some torque. I can see where few people would want to shoot many of these in one session because of impact on the wrist and for the pure cost of the ammo. I did notice later on another range day that the Cor-Bon was very consistent and was getting 3'' groups of 6 shots at 15 yards...which is excellent for me considering it is a new caliber to me and has enough recoil to make about anyone flinch.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

great video. I can vouch for that recoil from that gun in particular. I noticed the same recoil from my stiff 335gr 454 loads. they had a lot of snap and seemed to roll back onto my wrist a bit. but on the other end, my 45 colt 250gr loads group about 2" at 25yds and have hardly any snap to them. sure is a lot of fun to shoot soft loads from such a large and powerful gun. kinda lets you know what you can get out of it without punishing your hands

I have found with the big guns its best not to fight them and hold back the recoil. The faster you let it do its thing the quicker you can get back on target for the next shot. Riding with the punch hurts less than standing against it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Normal recoil from a .454, not much different then a .44 and you have good control. Now the .45 Vaquero I shoot with 335 + boolits will set you back. The .475 is worse and the .500 JRH is more push then snap.
    If you can shoot a .44, you can shoot a .454.

Here's some video of us shooting a 480 SRH 5 inch, 454 Redhawk 4 inch and a 45 Colt 7.5 with 355gr Ruger Only loads. The 454 has a definite snap into the hand.

Click for video...

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Compare with Taffy using a long barrel .454.Taffy.jpg

I shoot a 335gr from both my 44 and 454 SRH's. The has 24 gr 296 and the 454 31 gr 296. The 454 recoils about 50% more.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I shoot a 347 grain SWC in .45 Colt Ruger NMB over 16 to 17 grains VV-N110. 17 grains is about max, and recoil is a little snappy. My preferred load is ~16.3 grains at about 1050 fps (that's about a 25,000 CUP load, comparable to ~19.5 grains H-110). With the Bisley grip frame it's comfortable to shoot all day long.

A 445 grain SWC 500 Linebaugh over 22-23 grains of 2400 is a ~23,000-25,000 PSI load at about the same 1050 fps velocity and delivers about the same felt recoil with the same gun/Bisley gripframe.

Sorry, no recoil pic's.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I have to say that the 325 grn Buffalo Bores out of my Ruger RH 45 Colt pretty much scare me...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Try 21.5 gr of 296 from a .45 Vaquero with a 347 gr boolit!

My 45 Colt load is 355gr over 21.5gr H110. 454 load with the same boolit is little hotter It hits 1300fps in the 4" Redhawk. 23gr Lilgun or H110. It's got a pretty good slap to it. Any hotter than that I get crimp jump.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    My 45 Colt load is 355gr over 21.5gr H110. 454 load with the same boolit is little hotter It hits 1300fps in the 4" Redhawk. 23gr Lilgun or H110. It's got a pretty good slap to it. Any hotter than that I get crimp jump.
    Yes indeed....those Buffalo Bores claim 1325 pushing a 325 slug, but they don't say from how long a barrel. I really don't know if I could actually practice with those things....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yes indeed....those Buffalo Bores claim 1325 pushing a 325 slug, but they don't say from how long a barrel. I really don't know if I could actually practice with those things....
    I think Tim's 454 test gun is an 8-1/2" SRH.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona