Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska what to do?

Default Alaska what to do?

Gday guys im heading over from Australia next yr on a sheep hunt with Max schwab but want to spend a bit more time there after im done because its a bloody long way from here to there i want to make the most of it.
    So what else is there to do?
    Is there any hunts i can do for Coyote or wolf for a few days?
    Any other sites i should see other then the usual tourist stuff?

Thanks in advance
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Jawz View Post
    Gday guys im heading over from Australia next yr on a sheep hunt with Max schwab but want to spend a bit more time there after im done because its a bloody long way from here to there i want to make the most of it.

Thanks in advance
    Andrew
    If you like to fish, silver (Coho) salmon are available then....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Blacktail deer in Southeast AK or on Kodiak island, can go unguided. Silvers almost anywhere in Alaska rivers in mid-August. Ocean Charter fishing for halibut, salmon and king cod.

Thanks in advance
    Andrew
    Sky is the limit Jaws. Probably a better question to ask is what can't I do? You can't hunt wallabies and crocs up here mate. But if it's bear, moose, sheep, caribou, wolf, coyote, fox, wolverine, goat, deer, elk, salmon, trout, grayling, etc. then come on up.

If it's wolf or coyote your after, it is definitely possible to shoot one of them on your sheep hunt. I have seen both species on many occasion while I was sheep hunting. And both have liberal seasons that overlap with the sheep season.

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    Blacktail deer in Southeast AK or on Kodiak island, can go unguided. Silvers almost anywhere in Alaska rivers in mid-August. Ocean Charter fishing for halibut, salmon and king cod.
    I could be wrong on this. Best to check the reg book. I thought a non-resident alien needed a guide for ALL big game. Good luck on the Sheep hunt.

Hit Outback Steakhouse and drink some Fosters....

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Hit Outback Steakhouse and drink some Fosters....
    I was kidding, but I would definitely head up to the park and check out some critters and see some awesome scenery and perhaps camp in our so called outback.

Look for Rugby players so you could have a chance against the All Blacks next time
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks for the replys guys. Im pretty screwed for hunting without a guide as i am a non resident alien. I do alot of fishing here (spearfishing actually) so thats not a bad option.
    I would love to take home a few coyote skins or a wolf but i will be concentrating on my sheep during the 12 days of hunting so unless i bag a sheep early i dont think i will get a chance at either the wolf or the coyote on that hunt. Is there anywhere i might be able to pick up some skins for sale other then the standard fur trade shops for tourist eg taxidermist or the like?
    I guess im asking for local knowledge.
    Ps let me know if its a stupid question guys. lol

Hey Jawz,

Get on the trapping and predator forum on this site, there is a lot of fur trappers and predator hunters there that you can connect with that could possibly hold a couple skins for you and perhaps meet up with them once your in town. You'll be in the Talkeetna area anyway, there is a bunch of trappers between Anchorage and there, so you won't be going out of your way.
    You said you spearfish, I've seen them do it here for ling cod, however you do have to do it with a dry suit and scuba gear unfortunately, but for safety sake I guess its legal here. I did see there was a guide that took people out to do this.
    Fishing might be boring on your part but Halibut fishing off the boat is a blast, and taking tasty Halibut home to Australia would be like you bringing spiny lobster here for us (we can't get it, unless it's frozen).
    Not sure when your hunt dates are between Aug and Sept. but I'm sure some on here would let you tag along on a moose hunt or something.

At least your doing it right, plan now, and have a back up plan incase you have extra time. Connect with people, get to know them and you should have a good time. good luck buddy.

An August wolf pelt will be awful scraggly. Better to just buy one.

kahahawai mate i would bring you a heap but i would still have to freeze it to get it there and that would kind of defeat the purpose lol.
    We are just coming out of one of the best cray seasons in yrs with 20-30 min usually enough to get your bag limit , its been decadent.
    I just finished guiding a trip to the Coral sea spearfishing. We got some real big buggers up there but they are a different sp and don't taste as good.
    Sambuck thanks mate thats the kind of info i need to know also cheers. Sounds like thats what i will do or as was suggested above ask on the trapping forum if 1 of the boys could save me 1.
    Thanks alot for the help guys i really appreciate it and if your ever down my end of the world and need help just shout.

Jaws check your PM's, Chuck I'm headed down to Sydney in January. Hope to hook up and pass some gouge, so long as Jawz keeps the Coopers flowing!
    david

Mate i sent you a message back but for some reason its a visitor message. Ill just email you.

You'll have a great hunt, I went with Max this last year and got a dandy ram. There is a fur shop in Fairbanks I checked out after my trip that was pretty fun, a drive through Denali might be fun too although after being in sheep hunt will seem somewhat tame. The all day tour there is interesting, I took that on my first trip to Alaska. I didn't see any wolves on my hunt unfortunately.

Too bad you won't be here for Fur Rondy, the Rondy fur auction is always fun. There's quite a few places to fish for silvers and they are a lot of fun to catch. They actually strike lures and take bait unlike reds. You can also scuba dive while you are here. Dry suits are mandatory but the underwater wildlife is worth it.

Thanks in advance
    Andrew
    Hit the small breweries. Some of the best beer in the world is brewed up here.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Thanks again for the replys guys and if your ever in my end of the world then give a buzz and ill see if i can get you out fishing or hunting.
    DallDreamer i would love to here about how you went and what you thought of everything with Max. What would you take, what would you leave, what would you different?

Buy an "Alaska Atlas & Gazetteer" and a "The Milepost", rent a car and drive around. Where are you flying into, Anchorage or Fairbanks? If Anchorage, drive down to the Kenai Peninsula, stopping at Whittier, and go silver fishing on the Kenai River and halibut fishing out of Anchor Point or Homer. Bring a 5-6wt fly rod and a shotgun if you can.

Ill be flying into Anchorage. I want to do a few gun shops as well are there any good shops between Anchorage & Talkeetna?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast