Thread: DeLorme In-Reach or Garmin Spot?

Default DeLorme In-Reach or Garmin Spot?

Do any of you have experience, or impressions of the DeLorme In-Reach or the Garmin Spot satellite communicators? Looking for something that will work with my phone for two-way texts from the back country. Wife wants to get one of these for Christmas and alleviate some of her concern when I'm out. Probably used most in the Kenai, PWS, Resurrection Bay areas.

Thanks for your help.

In reach for sure, it is way better than the spot . It works up in the brooks as well which I heard the spot does not. If your phone dies there is a keyboard on the in reach that u can use. The interface is rather easy to use after set up as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeLorme In-Reach for sure, its a two was communication device that you can customize a message at any time by just typing what you want. Where as the spot you can only have the preset messages that you previously set up.

I started out with the original Inreach. It was fine but I started to have some issues with the Bluetooth connection between the device and my phone. I returned it and upgraded to the inReach SE. This one has worked well so far. I like I can compose messages either via Bluetooth with my phone or using the inReach as a standalone device. It has a rechargeable battery, which has lasted just fine for me but could be an issue if one was using a lot during an extended trip and didn't have a way to charge it.

The Delorme does seem like the better choice but the suscription is a ton of cash. I guess its better to pay more and be able to use it but if you read the small print, Delorme really sticks it too you. One example: you can upgrade plan at any time free of charge but it will cost you to change it back. I think thats a crock of crap.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I have the original spot been using it for business and personal for years. Not sure on the slope but interior and out all the way out on Montague it works great
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Delorme definately has a much easier way to connect and get your messages out as has been mentioned several times already. Also, as has been mentioned, you are going to have to pay a bit more for that service. The new SPOT Gen3 has much better connectivity to satelites than previous versions and is much cheaper to subscribe to, but has the limited message situation to deal with.

I think like most things, you have to consider how much you are willing to spend and see which option is going to fit your needs and budget the best.

I have the InReach SE. It works as advertised, battery life is good, I would buy it again. Easy 2-way texting + active tracking every 10 minutes. InReach SE uses the Iridium sat network. I have no experience with Spot, but in reasearch found that Spot uses Globalstar sat nework. I chose the Iridium sat network.

Good Luck with your decision.

Here is a discussion and my evaluation of the InReach that you may find helpful: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...elorme-InReach

For your purposes, the main decision factor is cost. Too keep the wife less nervous the Spot will work fine. Pay the extra $50 for tracking as a safety precaution. I looked into all the devices last year for exactly the same reason. For two-way communication the Delome is the best. However, The Spot is way cheaper than the two-way devices. You pay a lot extra for the two-way communication. I was also concerned about the coverage of the Spot, but it is fine. I used it for a two week trip in the Brooks Range-North Slope deep down in the river valleys. It sent my track points all day everyday except for two hours when I was deep in a river canyon. I checked in and out every morning and night and every one worked. Just don't expect your wife to stop worrying just because she knows where you are. Sometimes it just makes it worse. Best of luck.

It really depends on how and why you want to use it. I like to keep gear simple and uncomplicated, and tend to lean towards SPOT devices (note: SPOT isn't Garmin, it's SPOT). Power is always an issue in cold weather and/or long trips away from the electric grid. The SPOT 3 devices are a win in that case - initial reports show them having far fewer antenna issues than the SPOT 2, and while they still take AAA batteries at least they're disposable AAAs, and they've now got a motion sensor so that it will stop sending out updates when you're not moving for some period of time, and that'll save you some juice. On the other hand, if you want to send more than a small number of preprogrammed messages, the InReach makes a lot of sense. People who rely on sponsorship or social media to fund their outings really get a huge advantage from being able to send updates from the bush. That's not most of us but I figure there are others for whom the ability to compose messages from the field outweighs issues related to reliability or power.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    Do any of you have experience, or impressions of the DeLorme In-Reach or the Garmin Spot satellite communicators? Looking for something that will work with my phone for two-way texts from the back country. Wife wants to get one of these for Christmas and alleviate some of her concern when I'm out. Probably used most in the Kenai, PWS, Resurrection Bay areas.

Thanks for your help.
    I own the SPOT Connect and the In-Reach SE. From your original post I would go with the In-Reach. I originally had the SPOT, but with the health concerns in my family I purchased the In-Reach so my wife could get a hold of me. The In-Reach is a true two-way communication where the SPOT is only a one-way device.

The only downside that I have found with the In-Reach is the battery. It is internal only, not replaceable batteries.

I've used to spot since they first came available. This summer I switched to the in reach... Being able to have two way communication is priceless. There no waiting for stupid little green light and wondering if your message went thur...
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Just had an issue with the SPOT. The posting of the track points and the "I'm OK" message emails were delayed for about 24hrs. Wife thought of calling for a rescue. After complaining, SPOT sent me an email saying that some users have experienced a delay in the messages for the last few days, but didn't offer an explanation. As a result, I'm looking into a different product.

AKChester,

Delorme has a boothe at the Sportsman Show this weekend. Check them out.

Randy

First and foremost ALWAYS keep the device of choice close to you where you can reach it should you fall and seriously get hurt or become separated from your pack. Emergency devices do no good in a pack at the bottom of a canyon. That said, I've met with both SPOT and DeLorme factor reps and marketing departments for a complete hands on lets break down the pros and cons of each unit before we recommend them to our viewers. What I've come up with is regarding Alaska especially, due to its remoteness i.e. you could be stuck there for a long time, and the slope of satellite coverage, no one device is perfect for every situation. Truth be told nothing replaces an ELT or ELB in my humble opinion. Also, satellite phones should be a MUST for anyone taking off for any amount of time on a remote adventure if they truly want some peace of mind. A phone with good batteries and available minutes.

Both devices use a different satellite network as has already been mentioned. Saying that an Iridium Sat phone isn't 100% guaranteed to get a sat link the first attempt either. Sometimes you'll need to move a bit. A challenge if you're wedged in a ravine with broken bones. You get the point. And most importantly after you've finally made your choice, learn the unit inside and out before you hit the field. That's my 2-cents.

I have been using a Delorme for a couple years now and have used it to keep in touch with family on moose and sheep hunts and it's always worked. I would like to get the new one so I can read and write texts from the unit but until there is an option to use replaceable batteries I don't want to spend 10 days out with a rechargeable battery that only lasts 5. All in all I have used mine a lot and it's never let me down... Yet

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk