Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Blackfish

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    4

    Default Blackfish

    Wondering if anyone in Southcentral AK knows where to set blackfish nets... (Sharing picture from rural AK region)
    [IMG][/IMG]

  2. #2
    Member JR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,129

    Default

    Those kind of look like the things we were catching out of mirror lake last winter...are those the strange fish that can live out of water in muddy areas? Not sure its legal to set a net for them anywhere.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lower Yukon River
    Posts
    85

    Default

    We use traps for them out west.




  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,763

    Default

    yes out west is different than SOUTH Central the rules are enforced different here , sorry to say , the same goes for hunting , if you look around , there are a few lakes with the BLACK FISH , but you have to use 2 lines , an it is slow fishing for them , after saying that the ones you got in the
    net are a lot bigger that I have ever caught or seen caught , a call to fish an game will fill you in on all the info you will need ,
    SID PS what do you use for BAIT in the net ????

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lower Yukon River
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Fishing them with lines? thats funny..lol (never heard of it.)

    My trap is perfectly legal here and I don't know any other way.

    I think I would working on a proposal to get that silly law changed if I lived there,I cant see them ever being overfished.

    PS. I don't use bait.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,763

    Default

    in that case of no bait we don't have a large population of BLACK fish in South Central, don't know about the Big SUE ?
    there are a few but not like what you have , there has to be a lot out there by your fishing grounds , SID
    PS the by pass catch would stop it fast , as most of the fish here are not much bigger than your fish in trap [ some are ]

  7. #7
    Member ak_cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    You're not allowed to use nets or traps for blackfish in southcentral because of the incidental catch of juvenile salmon smolt. Call fish and game for any specific questions. 267-2218

    sent from my igloo

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lower Yukon River
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Black fish inhabit swamps and lakes we don't catch any incidental salmon at all but do catch small Pike in some places we usually set in shallow swamps and landlocked lakes.

  9. #9
    Member ak_cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yukonjeff View Post
    Black fish inhabit swamps and lakes we don't catch any incidental salmon at all but do catch small Pike in some places we usually set in shallow swamps and landlocked lakes.
    That's up there. In southcentral it's different.

  10. #10
    Member Ak_Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    in that case of no bait we don't have a large population of BLACK fish in South Central, don't know about the Big SUE ?
    there are a few but not like what you have , there has to be a lot out there by your fishing grounds , SID
    PS the by pass catch would stop it fast , as most of the fish here are not much bigger than your fish in trap [ some are ]
    The biggest push of black fish just came thru the cottonwood creek about a month ago

  11. #11
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    Beer Can Lake

    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  12. #12
    Member Ak_Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Beer Can Lake

    Been years for me Jedi, there's some in there but like mentioned above very slow going catching those things

  13. #13
    New member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    4

    Default

    This lil fish is the yummiest with seal oil! I was craving some so I thought what the heck someone might know how to catch these around here. The picture shared is from Bethel area. We also use set net traps as the man shared. Good food and tastes like a mix of burbot and lobster (in seal oil of course) merry Christmas everyone

  14. #14
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Hi akbuddy,

    I didn't find anything in the southcentral regs about blackfish and trapping them, probably worth a call. I was just thinking, to get a bunch you could try opening a hole later in winter and keeping it open. Sometimes they come to air sources and mass up.

  15. #15
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Segi View Post
    Hi akbuddy,

    I didn't find anything in the southcentral regs about blackfish and trapping them, probably worth a call. I was just thinking, to get a bunch you could try opening a hole later in winter and keeping it open. Sometimes they come to air sources and mass up.
    Nothing is mentioned about traps in the sportfishing regulations due to the fact that traps are not legal methods and means for sportfishing. That falls under subsistence, which is not allowed anywhere near Anchorage. If you want to target blackfish around Anchorage you must use a rod and reel. Below are some links that show the Nonsubsistence areas. Inside of these areas you can only use rod and reel for targeting blackfish. You would need to go north of Talkeetna or south of Cantwell to be legal for traps or east of Chickaloon or west near Skwetna.

    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...area=Anchorage

    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...area=Fairbanks

    On a side note, I've already caught plenty of blackfish in Beer Can Lake this winter. Early morning and sunset has been the most productive time for them.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Anyone know if it's legal to use them whole as bait for burbot or pike? I tried looking on the F&G website but can't find anything.

    The current fishing report on the F&G website says:

    Fish Facts:
    “Burbot typically spawn between February and March. An individual female can produce over 1 million eggs. Target burbot in back-eddies or along cutbanks using whitefish, lamprey, blackfish or herring.” Want to learn more about burbot? Click here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=burbot.main

  17. #17
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyo-AK View Post
    Anyone know if it's legal to use them whole as bait for burbot or pike? I tried looking on the F&G website but can't find anything.

    The current fishing report on the F&G website says:

    Fish Facts:
    “Burbot typically spawn between February and March. An individual female can produce over 1 million eggs. Target burbot in back-eddies or along cutbanks using whitefish, lamprey, blackfish or herring.” Want to learn more about burbot? Click here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=burbot.main
    Yes, you can use whole dead blackfish for bait since they have no seasonal or harvest limit. I've used it for burbot and it works very well. See #2 below;


    Use of sport-caught fish as bait: (1) Unless provided for in this section, fish taken under sport fishing regulations may not be used as bait (except as permitted in Prince William Sound, where it is legal to use pink and chum salmon as bait). (2) Whitefish, herring, and other species for which no seasonal or harvest limits are specified in 5 AAC 47–5 AAC 75, as well as the head, tail, fins, and viscera of legally taken sport fish, may be used for bait or other purposes. (3) Herring and other species of fish for which no seasonal or harvest limits are specified in 5 AAC 47–5 AAC 75 may be used as live bait, except that live fish may not be used as bait for sport fishing in fresh water. (4) Live bait may be possessed, transported, or released only in the salt waters of the regulatory area in which it was taken.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •