Thread: Tell Me about the 6mm Remington

Default Tell Me about the 6mm Remington

I am thinking of putting together a 6mm Remington. Will be used mostly for varmints and maybe the occasional deer. It will have a factory Remington barrel which I believe are 1in9 or 1in10 twist, can't remember.

Anyways, how do you like the 6mm? What is a good all around bullet? Can I make brass from 257 Roberts or 7x57?

Thanks for any input.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Sure, you can make brass from either 7x57 or 257 Roberts. The Roberts is just a necked down 7x57, and the Remington is just a necked down Roberts. Personally, I think it's tough to improve on the 7x57 or the 6.5x55 though...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I grew up on a 6mm Remington, chambered in a M77. I have a fondness for it that probably exceeds its abilities. In a SA Model 70 (due to its longer mag box) it would make some sense, but in a 700 SA I'd go .243 Winchester and never look back.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Nothing wrong with the 6MM but I got rid of my 2 a few years back and figured I'd go with ".308" derivatives to make life simpler...not because there is anything wrong with the Remington. I picked up a Tikka in .243 and ran a AI reamer into the chamber and I have everything the Remington can do with .243 brass which is easier to get and cheaper. I now have some of each .260, 7mm/08, .308, .338 Fed and .358 Win just to make life simpler on the bench and I have nothing with a belt left anywhere....these will do all I need.

I'm north of the lake so if you get up this way give a hollar and stop by if you like.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

6mm Remington is one of those good ideas that never really got it's legs under it. Varmints are exactly what it was conceived for as the .244 Remington with a 1:12 twist which kept bullet weight under 90grů. and the shooting public didn't go for it.

A name change to the 6mmREM, a twist rate change to 1:9 for heavier bullets... and it's still playing catch up to the .243 Winchester in popularity as a dual purpose varmint/deer gun despite having more case capacity and reportedly a better design.

No worries though- it's a great cartridge for your purposes and there are plenty of good bullets to feed it. I've seen good results from the 95gr Ballistic Tip and the 100gr Partition for deer.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    ...can make brass from either 7x57 or 257 Roberts.
    Just a heads up. Both my 6mms require neck turning when going from 7mm down to 6mm. Just too close neck tolerances to put up with the accumulated brass on sizing down. One of them is fine with 257 factory cases necked down, but the tighter one demands neck turning there too. No big deal unless you fail to do it, and the round still chambers. If the neck can't open sufficiently on firing, you can get wild pressures from loads that should otherwise be mild.

Not a criticism by any means. Great round. It'll do just what you envision and make you real happy in the process. I'm betting that barrel will deliver sterling accuracy.

Long and short- Go for it!

Thanks for the input guys. I too think it will be a fine cartridge. Just wondering about the brass thing, as it seems its a little harder to come by. Don't know why, but the .243 winchester just rubbed me wrong years ago, so I guess this is the answer. Never really had a small rifle of sorts, so I look forward to loading and shooting this one. I've owned a 7x57 and 264 win mag, and thats about the only thing smaller than a 30-06, everything else has been larger.
    I've always like being a little different anyways.

Lowrider, thanks for the invite. I may just do that one of these days.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

We have killed countless deer (mulies and whitetails) with the old 6mm Rem over the years. Great cartridge.

I have a 6mm Rem in a 700 Rem. with a 26 inch bull barrel. It sports a laminated wood stock, and a straight 12 power Leupold with a target turret. It is the most accurate rifle I own. I load IMR 3031 and a 95gr.Hornady SST for this gun and most of the time can shoot a 5 shot group at 100 yards with all rounds touching. I have shot several groups that a dime will completely cover all five rounds. I started with new Win. brass and only neck size it for this rifle. I have loaded a few rounds 6 or 7 times and brass is still doing good. I have loaded a few lighter bullets in this gun and they done fine also. I picked this 95 gr. bullet to play with at long range hoping it will work better on out there. I also own 2 243's and like them also. Both are Remingtons, one a 700 and the other a older 788. The 6mm is the most fun gun I got.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Nothing wrong with the 6MM but I got rid of my 2 a few years back and figured I'd go with ".308" derivatives to make life simpler...not because there is anything wrong with the Remington. I picked up a Tikka in .243 and ran a AI reamer into the chamber and I have everything the Remington can do with .243 brass which is easier to get and cheaper. I now have some of each .260, 7mm/08, .308, .338 Fed and .358 Win just to make life simpler on the bench and I have nothing with a belt left anywhere....these will do all I need.

I'm north of the lake so if you get up this way give a hollar and stop by if you like.
    I like the way you think. I have a couple of 223's, just cuz. However my 3 rifle battery is a 243, 7mm-08 and a 358 Winny. I have no need for a belt ever again!

Back on topic, ya can't go wrong with a 6mm. A good friend of mine Keith Rose built a 6mm when he was going to gunsmith school out in Colorado way back in the early 70's. That has been his one gun for everything from fox to Elk and with that rifle Keith has been one of the most successful hunters I've ever met. He has always used Hornady 75 grainers for varmints and killed a nice 6x6 bull in Pagosa Springs a few years back with the same gun and a 100 grain Hornady. I can't say that I've ever seen elk lungs messed up any worse regardless of what they were shot with.

I have had several inclinations to go against the grain and deviate from the standard go to cartridge over the years and with that being said and the 243 being the standard......a 6mm will do anything the 243 will and then some.

My son lives in N Dakota just a stones throw from the border and I load his 243 with Hornady 65 grain VMax at 3600fps and he loves them and the coyotes hate them. I reckon that they would work equally as well in a 6 milipeter!

elmerkeithclone,

I like to hear of first hand bullet experience. I'm going to a big gun show this weekend, I will see what I can find there. Then if nothing start hitting up the stores. I'm excited to get going on this project.

Heya Brent!
    My dad has 2 6mm rems. One is a model 600 and the other is a 660. I use the 600 often there around the farm whenever I am around. Last winter I used it on a deer at about 100 yards and that 90 grainer hit him like a freight train, you could hear it the "whump"!. Anyway the impact of it hitting the top of the shoulder splintered a helluva lotta bone and even destroyed two vertebrae. Dad and I both enjoy that 6mm Rem. I think you will too. If you need some stuff, dad has quite a bit, and may be willing to trade if you got something he might need. I'm down here till Friday then gotta go back to AK. Swing on in.

Release Lake Trout

Sounds good Jake. I might just do that.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

When the 6mm Rem. was battling it out with the 243, I was on the side of the 6mm. I even owned one for a time, but it was a 600 Rem. rifle, and the 18.5" barrel was too short for my ears. I never even learned the velocity loss. I knew when I bought it, the barrel was unsuitable for that cartridge.

The 600 just looked so good to me, and I learned the hard way.

Back then, comparing it to the 243, the 6mm had some supposed advantages. A longer neck, sharper shoulder, and a bit more case capacity.

Some would disagree, but in my inexperience, I believe that 6mm is just too light for the Greatland, with all them bars roamin around with their teeth clackin, and their claws scratchin.

I see no reason for a 6mm since that calibers purpose or attraction, is a combo for varmint hunting, and the smaller big game. I don't need a varmint shooter up here, and their are much better cartridges, for big game.

Still, I like it. I like the design. I'm just afraid a bar might not notice it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Got my barrel in the mail today. I already have a donor rifle. Just got to get it to the smiths. I also have a big gun show to go to tomorrow to look for components. Yippee!!

Do a bit of research on the 6mm Ackley Improved. That cartridge is sweet especially since you are building anyway.
    Talk to your gunsmith about the match 105-115 grain bullets and a fast twist if interested. You will probably be good for stabilization up to 100gr.with 1 in 9.
    I recently tried to no avail to find a new bolt gun in 6mm Rem chambering as they all went .243 it seems. That makes the 6 appealing for the guy who wants something a bit different. You are golden from yotes to caribou but don't blow a fox in half or get et' by a T-rex.
    Think 85 gr X at 3400+...