Thread: X bullets vs. fur

Default X bullets vs. fur

Any reports of Barnes X, E- tips, GMX, or any other monolithic bullets versus fur damage?
    I was hoping for small hole in with about 1" out and repairable for predator calling coyotes or wolves. Foxes and cats I assume these would not be pelt friendly??
    I know fast twists barrels are required because of terrible groups in my 1in14 twist 22-250 with 53gr Xs but that is another story.
    Thanks.

Do a search here and a few other forums and you'll find most folks agree velocity and bullet construction determine fur damage, not bullet construction alone. You basically have two choices, fast and frangible in which case the goal is for the bullet to NOT exit or slow and tough in which case you want the bullet to exit with controlled expansion and you slow it down to somewhat under 2800fps.

I shoot slow and tough, i'll be trying the TTSX and Nosler bonded solid base this year, unfortunately haven't called anything in to shoot at. had great success with Sierra HPBT MKs last year at around 2450fps. I suspect if you keep the TSX under 2600 or so it will do just fine.

Limon I hear you and the searching reports as you state reflect my own experiences. I have had entry only on some and huge holes on others over the years with a variety of .22 and .24 rounds from 3000 to 3800 fps. The thing is, I simply prefer a nice .22 Hornet if I want a 200 yard limit with reduced velocity but want full velocity per cartridge for the 400+ plus chances. The velocity has then dropped anyway. I had perfect performance from X bullets in big game from 300 Win. but never shot any fur with them in smaller calibers. Dang it I want it all...LOL! Any actual performance reports out there?

Will relate my experience with my 22-250, I bought it to predator hunt. After I VAPORIZED a couple hares and a fox with it. I realized it is just too fast for fur. Just my experience, I bought a 22 mag for fur now.

I'm sure you could make it work, but I believe that you would need to slow any bullet way down... Wolves are bigger and may be okay, never got to try it on them.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I think if your intent with a .22 X-Bullet was to ensure it didn't expand, but instead acted like a solid and punched a clean hole, you would want to slow it down to well below 1600 fps.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by 450 ktm View Post
    Limon I hear you and the searching reports as you state reflect my own experiences. I have had entry only on some and huge holes on others over the years with a variety of .22 and .24 rounds from 3000 to 3800 fps. The thing is, I simply prefer a nice .22 Hornet if I want a 200 yard limit with reduced velocity but want full velocity per cartridge for the 400+ plus chances. The velocity has then dropped anyway. I had perfect performance from X bullets in big game from 300 Win. but never shot any fur with them in smaller calibers. Dang it I want it all...LOL! Any actual performance reports out there?
    Physics is working against you on this one, if you want to shot fast to keep long range trajectory then a frangible design is your only choice IMO, in that case your range is going to be limited by the lethality of the frangible bullet at a given distance.

Although not an x-bullet, I have seen a coyote shot with a FMJ at around 3000fps, blowout on the exit was about 6", not because of bullet expansion but because of the shock induced imparted at that speed.

Seems your just going to have to carry two or three guns!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just finished loading some 53gr X bullets at approx. 3300 fps. I'll report back if I am lucky. Seems like the original question needs more volunteers for field research...HAHA! Post your results if you are lucky first. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 450 ktm View Post
    I just finished loading some 53gr X bullets at approx. 3300 fps. I'll report back if I am lucky. Seems like the original question needs more volunteers for field research...HAHA! Post your results if you are lucky first. Best of luck.
    I've been field researching like mad but the subjects are NOT cooperating... Not seeing much of any sign this year in my "new" spots, going to have to go check the old ones next weekend if it warms up.