Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liveaboard brands?

Default Liveaboard brands?

Looking into boats that will sleep 4-6 and work in alaska waters. What are some brands and pros and cons to different types?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Hate to throw out the cliche, but it really does depend on your mission and the time you have available during use. I love my Bayliner 32xx. It will sleep six no problem. It has a queenish size space in the v-berth, a king in the master berth, and the dinette pulls out into a double. It has a full galley and head with shower. It's great for a few days at a time. The twin diesels are reliable and I really like the redundancy of having two motors that can push the boat at reasonable speeds. Reasonable is a relative term though. I have the Hino 110's and cruise at 8-10 knts depending on the weather. For me, living in SE, slow is comfortable and relaxing. I'm not in a hurry and I can pick my times. As for pros and cons - it is small enough to manuever in tight spaces, but it is too big to trailer easily so you'll most likely need a slip at least during the season. Ours stays in the water year round. We'll use it Mar - Dec. Lots of these boats available now and the prices are coming down. Hope this helps some.

Yes that does help thanks! I figure a comfy boat on the water probably won't be that great on a trailer. What do slips fees typically cost? Figure different everywhere but what's a ball park?
    Master guide 212

Trawlers not set up for commercial fishing are popular liveaboard choices.

I live on and off of my Trojan F-32 during the course of the year. Its a very liveable layout and has all the comforts of a nicely furnished apartment. It came to me with a factory 3 burner stove with small oven, a 6.5 kw Onan generator, a 12v/120v refrigerator/freezer combo, 12 gallon hot water heater, and a fully equipped head with shower. All factory equipment. I added a 32 inch TV, a PS3, and a leather sleeper sofa 2 summers ago plus various other upgrades to bring it into the modern era. Its a 1978 model. I could stay on it all the time, but my work schedule is crazy and sometimes its just not practical for me to do so. Trojan was bought out by Carver in the 90's and they absorbed the brand only keeping 2 models and discontinuing the marque. Carver boats are also popular for liveaboard arrangements.

You can get a good Trojan 32 or 36 for around 20-25 grand. You can get one that needs some work for under 15. They sleep 4-6, have excellent amenities, and harken from an era before sprayed in hulls. Mine has the 4 fuel tank option, and that is nice for extended cruising or just keeping the trips to the fuel docks spaced out a bit more.

A good resource for locating used boats to purchase is:

http://www.yachtworld.com/

A listing of the current Trojan boats for sale can be found on that site here:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...derange=Select Price Range&No=0

The folks asking for much more than 30 grand are definately smoking something strong unless they have added fresh power plants in the last few years, and the ones for much less than 15 grand are nightmares waiting to happen.

Good luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Yes that does help thanks! I figure a comfy boat on the water probably won't be that great on a trailer. What do slips fees typically cost? Figure different everywhere but what's a ball park?
    Slip fees vary greatly by area and can range from under $100.00 per month to a whole lot more. Not sure where you're planning to be based, but in south central I'd imagine the more convenient the more expensive and longer wait for availability.

slip fees are usually by the foot Jake. it also depends where you plan to keep mooraged. usually the bigger citys in southeast have the higher rates & longer waiting lists to get a permanent slip. Hoonah used to have some of the best rates in S.E. wrangell has a couple harbors now & a nice haulout facility now too, sitka also....diesel fuel is running about 5.00/gal + or - best to find a good econimical boat that doesn't burn a bunch or your wallet will be empty soon also, it's a big reason for the price of bigger fuel burning boats coming down in price. Insurance can vary too depending on if you plan to transport or just recreation it. just moorage & insurance can run you 3-5k a yr.....yachtworld's a great place to search....canada's got some good deals to but you might not be able to commercial fish or charter a canadian built boat. boats are like houses, what's your criteria? deck space?, sleeping space? kitchen? diesel? gas?

Well at this point it's all fantasy! But I think I'm gonna want something I can trailer, sleep 4, head/shower/galley and cruises in the 20's somewhere...gas or diesel isn't really a factor as this point. Love the idea of twin outboards and aluminum...but price will be a huge factor!!
    Master guide 212

Jake take your time. My own ocean boat also started out as a Fantasy. But here two weeks ago a dream cam true. I picked up an ospery with Volvo diesel here 2 weeks ago.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

^^^^^Nice Osprey!!!^^^^^

Well at this point it's all fantasy! But I think I'm gonna want something I can trailer, sleep 4, head/shower/galley and cruises in the 20's somewhere...gas or diesel isn't really a factor as this point. Love the idea of twin outboards and aluminum...but price will be a huge factor!!
    Gonna have to dial that in a bit more my friend. "Trailer, sleeps 4, head shower & galley, cruises in the 20's, aluminum, and twin OB's" is going to restrict your options. A lot.

In glass, I'd think about a 2901 SeaSwirl with those requirements. In aluminum, might be best to go for a custom build, but thats gonna blow up your budget.

I think for a first bigger boat you should be thinking about used. Probably glass. And forget about trailering it.

There are really good deals out there...
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Well fantasy is how it all starts I think!! I may be a decade out from anything happening but I enjoy below zero researching!! Forget trailering....I was afraid someone would say that.
    Master guide 212

Well keep an eye on Seattle Craigslist, http://www.alaskaboatbrokers.com,,,

http://www.alaskaboat.com/index.htm

http://www.waypointboats.com/boats-f...gory/pre-owned

. Here a couple links to keep an eye on.

Thanks guys really appreciate the information!! Day dreaming about being out in the water gives me some motivation!!
    Master guide 212

So what is the top end of your price range, Jake? Personally, I prefer an alloy hull powered by outboards for what we do. You will probably get better economy with an inboard or inboard/outboard, but I really like the reliability of outboards.

What kind of range are you looking for? I carry nearly 400 gallons. I don't use my third tank often, but is nice to have if I am out for a week. I hate carrying fuel on deck.

If you do end up towing be prepared to upgrade your truck as well.

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Well not sure on a price cap as its a ways off. But I'd guess around 50 or 60g's. outboards would be great, alloy would be great but I know they get spendy. Yes I realize a truck upgrade would have to be in the mix somewhere as well. That and a promotion to CEO. Lol
    Cdory 25 looks workable other than being a glass boat....?
    Master guide 212

check out that rawson on s.e. ak. craigslist.. Rawsons are a great hull. Fine boat if you can live with a speed of about 8 knots

The Cdory would be a good fit. Might be tough to find one in that price range. An aluminum boat that will sleep four to six probably isn't realistic, but deals do pop up. I am not a fan of Bayliners, but you can get a newer, well appointed Bayliner in that range quite easily. If you go bigger and non-trailerable deals are definitely to be had. Finding a slip can be a challenge as well.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Ya I start out dreaming them eventually run into reality.....lol
    Master guide 212

Google Seawolves...then find jrogers on the forums for questions....they are my fantasy boats

You might consider getting your name on a waiting list for a slip now if you're looking to buy in 10 years. I need to do that myself, as I'm hoping to need a slip in about the same time frame. That depends on where you want to boat out of, of course, but if Whittier is part of the plan, get on the list as soon as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast