Thread: Otters on the ice?

Default Otters on the ice?

The area I'm trapping muskrats is a network of frozen sloughs and grass, and just about every time I've been out, there have been fresh otter tracks/drag marks. My problem is that the sloughs are pretty wide, without choke points to set a blind 280 or 330, and the otters are heading straight down the middle of them. Right out in the open. Without pinch points, what are my options for sets? Anything I could do with bait? I have a few buckets that fit a 280 nicely, but I've heard mixed things about them taking bait. Possibly make my own choke points with branches or something? Thank you guys for any help, never trapped otters before!

Ryan
    Ryan from Wasilla

find the holes they are coming through the ice and put a 280 over it.............
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

If available, take some brush and/or trees and set them on the slough, in order to guide the otters through a narrow passageway, right through your trap. Worked for me before. Good luck.