Thread: Curtiss Air

Default Curtiss Air

Does anyone out there have anything to say about Curtiss Air? I flew them from Deadhorse to Kavik River Camp and Kavik River Camp to Deadhorse this summer. Each leg is a 30 minute flight but I was billed an hour even though it seemed they flew someone back from Kavik when they picked me up in Deadhorse and they cut a deal with Bob from 70 North to take me back to Deadhorse on his backhall. I was charged an hour on both legs. I know planes are expensive and was wondering if this is noramal or if it is double billing?

If it's a charter you are normally billed the total time it takes the plane to drop you off and then return to it's base. So 1 hour billing for 30 minutes X 2 legs sounds right . The air taxis obiously make more if they can fill the back haul with some type of revenue. I don't hold it against them. They aren't making money hand over fist flying airplanes for charter.

I've wondered about this too. I flew with the now defunct Alsek Air and we were light on our return flight. The pilot asked if we minded if we stopped to pick up some fish (a couple hundred pounds) from a lodge. We didn't mind, so we said ok. I didn't think there would be any discount, but they only charged us for half the return leg and billed the other half to the lodge.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

I've never heard of Curtiss Air, where are they based? You got the double dipping treatment. They should have only charged you for the leg you were on if they had someone paying for the other leg.

nah, I don't agree with being upset being charged if the pilot finds a way to fill the plane with freight or passengers on the return , very common practice. as far as cost, if the flight is one hour one way the plane returns to base there's another hour (now that's 2 ) then comes to pick you up that's another, then one more to base total 4 hours. So hope this explains how your one hour flight is billed four hours. Short season, high fuel cost, insurance, maintenance, etc. can't blame the charter outfit if sometimes they can back haul and make up for bad weather when they fly half way and have to turn around for YOUR safety at NO cost to you. Just hope this helps. BTW, I'm not in the charter business.

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    I've never heard of Curtiss Air, where are they based?
    Fairbanks.

owned by the wife of the Grizz based on her Linkedin profile

Link

I am still amazed at what shows up in a google search when I am not looking.

Aren't these questions that diligent hunters/travelers ask of anything that they might be spending their hard earned tax already paid dollars on BEFORE the booking?