Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I did 25 pushups today, for the first time in ...

Default I did 25 pushups today, for the first time in ...

25 years

In August I got back from a fishing trip in Northern New Mexico, and I was beat http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24421459 .

I was only walking in knee deep water, but it really worked me. Then I went to see my dad in the old folk's home, and I saw the future (and it wasn't pretty).

I weighed 228, could do ONE pushup, and felt like $#&%. I started walking, and doing some simple exercises. Then I started cutting back on the crap I ate. Don't get me wrong, I still eat the same crap, just less of it.

I was at the doctor on Tuesday and weighed 211, my cholesterol 176, and my BP was 106/66.

The doc said I only had 30 more pounds to go. (I didn't have the heart to tell him I weighed more than 180 when I was in high school).

I'm living proof it can be done, it's not easy, but it can be done.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Smile

Hey, racer,

If you fished the San Juan, did you do the San Juan Shuffle? That's where the wading angler scuffs his feel along the bottom gravel, disturbing caddis and other aquatic life, and sending a sort of artificial "hatch" downstream . . all that remains is to then drift some nymphs to trout on the feed.

As for getting old, some years back Charlie Waterman wrote a piece for the Orvis Newsletter about going fishing with his grandson. Charlie took a nap in the car on the drive to the river. Once they got there, the kid was in the river fishing while Charlie was still getting into his waders. Late morning, Charlie took a nap in the grass while the kid kept fishing. And so it went for the rest of the day. By late afternoon, Charlie was in the car napping, waiting for the kid to finish and drive home.

And that, said Charlie, is what it's like to grow old, and if you can't accept it, you're gonna do hard time.

"In old age, our memories become like that spot on the river where we go to wait for the evening hatch and the last cast of the day."
    —Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    25 years

In August I got back from a fishing trip in Northern New Mexico, and I was beat http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24421459 .

I was only walking in knee deep water, but it really worked me. Then I went to see my dad in the old folk's home, and I saw the future (and it wasn't pretty).

I weighed 228, could do ONE pushup, and felt like $#&%. I started walking, and doing some simple exercises. Then I started cutting back on the crap I ate. Don't get me wrong, I still eat the same crap, just less of it.

I was at the doctor on Tuesday and weighed 211, my cholesterol 176, and my BP was 106/66.

The doc said I only had 30 more pounds to go. (I didn't have the heart to tell him I weighed more than 180 when I was in high school).

I'm living proof it can be done, it's not easy, but it can be done.
    I don't know how old you are, but soon you'll come to realize that to be healthy, eventually working out is going to have to become more like a weekly maintenance plan. I'm 57, have never been too heavy, and this past fall after working out pretty good for a month I was only 8 pounds heavier than I was when I graduated high school. I felt pretty good and when it came to hitting the goat trails I did fairly well. Unfortunately, even though I came to the realization that from here on out I really need to be working out at least a couple times a week.....EVERY week, I have yet to work out a day since goat season ended. I know that soon I'll have to get in that (working out) mindset again, but now, it will have to be more for overall health, and not just because I want to be able to handle a hunt. If I don't, then I know that when it does come time to hunt, then it will be harder and harder each year to feel (somewhat) good about working out again.

I think the only thing that has saved me so far is that I still do work outside and do get a fair amount of exercise that way. I "try" and justify my not working out because of that, but I know in my heart that it's not enough....

Good Luck...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Agreed, I'm 55 & 5'10" (and like long walks on the beach at sunset...) and I'm here to tell you younger guys, it doesn't get any easier the older you get.

I'm planning on going to the World FITASC (European Sporting Clays) Championship next year in Portugal, and fishing/ptarmigan hunting with these guys in August http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/t-...iver-camp.aspx

Besides the fact I have six grandkids, I'd like to get into shape for those two.

Oh, and I gave up drinking soda too.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA

I'm in my 60's now. Never been completely buff, but usually able to do what I want with a little conditioning before hand. At 6'4" and 220# with 36" waist, I'm 15# lighter than high school while still wearing the same pants. Truth? I need to get down to about 190 to be more in line with my current muscle mass (or lack thereof). At 235 in high school I was solid, while now I'm soft above the belt even at 220.

I've learned that "fishing fit" starts with my legs, especially wading in currents or rough slick bottoms. If my legs don't hold up the days get short and I can't cover the water as well as I like. That's turned out to pretty easy to do, time-wise. I walk HARD for half an hour each morning. A couple of days a week I stretch it to an hour, but the point is to be picking them up and putting them down for half an hour. Even a busy schedule can afford a half an hour, right? By HARD I mean a 4mph pace- I.e., I'm covering 2 miles in my half hour, 4 miles on my 1-hour days. Getting into that pace, I first started walking half an hour, but pushing the distance I could cover. When I was finally pushing about as hard as I could sustain, it worked out to that 2 miles. Couldn't push it much faster without running, so that led to the longer days a couple of times a week.

Hardest part of the whole danged thing- harder by far than the walk itself- is the GOYA. Getting Off Your Azz and walking out the door. Lotta excuses not to do that. For me it works out best to set the alarm a little earlier than needed and get in the walk first thing in the AM while waiting for the coffee to perk. It's done, and you can get on with your day with no other changes.

Way to go Brad!!! Keep it up. working out is aboring ***** but you got to keep it up. A trip like you have planned I think really helps. I got out Elk hunting a bunch this fall. I am going to have to workout this winter to keep up with Theresa in the Situk this spring. Keep up the good work

I like being obese.......it helps the plow truck get traction. I am a five'er.......5'5" and 255#

It only gets traction on one side, makes it go around in circles.

Start walking, park at the far end of the parking lot and walk. Take up biking in the summer. In the winter cross country ski. Paddle canoes or kayaks whenever you can. If you enjoy how you are exercising, you will be successful at it.

That does NOT sound like FUN.......as I said, I like being OBESE. Working out sucks. If your going to die anyway, might as well eat well.

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    It only gets traction on one side, makes it go around in circles.

Start walking, park at the far end of the parking lot and walk. Take up biking in the summer. In the winter cross country ski. Paddle canoes or kayaks whenever you can. If you enjoy how you are exercising, you will be successful at it.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    That does NOT sound like FUN.......as I said, I like being OBESE. Working out sucks. If your going to die anyway, might as well eat well.
    Well, that's true. EVERYBODY dies at some point, I'm just hoping to prolong it for a while. I've got six grandkids, and I kinda like spending time with them. Also, I shouldn't be struggling to put on my waders

But you're right, working out and dieting aren't much fun.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    ...working out and dieting aren't much fun.
    Agreed. The fun comes when you can walk far enough to get away from the crowd and still have the strength and energy to do what you want. If you're not going to take your grandkids out there to learn to do it right, who will?

Any time the exercise gets monotonous I start pretending I'm walking in to some special spot. If I want to be able to walk that far in the hills, I oughta be able to do in town easy. Taking the grandkids on your walks is a great way to remind yourself you have good reasons not to eat yourself to death while hiney flopping and watching the world go right on by.

Yes, but I have a "Six-Pack" point of fact I have three of them in the refrigerator. And that is as far as I need to hike. I just don't understand why people want to go hunting and be cold, wet, wind'burn, and miserable. It is nice to just stay home a eat and drink, and watch DVD's all day.

I just got back from a deer hunting trip with three other guys from late thirties to mid forties. None of us were in good shape to start with and the climbing, hiking, packing (even cutting firewood) took a few days to not be a chore. Around the whiskey bottle one night we all agreed we are as good once as we ever was, but that to get into shape is already taking longer, and sadly, getting out of shape happens in a blink.

I went from that 7 day trip to several gut busters on Douglas Island (need more snow) and was feeling really good, then it was thanksgiving with the inlaws for a 4 day trip.......falling behind already. Pretty sad in that we all had stories of the roaring twenties when we could do about anything all day on no sleep and hungover (heck, I used to smoke a cigar at halftime when I played rugby and still ran as fast as anyone on the field).

This harkening back to high school does no good for me though.....I was a scrawny 135 when I left high school at 5'10" (granted I could run a half mile in 2:00). Was a solid 165-170 by my late twenties. The 185-195 I'm packin these days does me little favor. I play basketball at lunch three times a week but it takes a concerted effort on lessening the ice cream, beer and deep fryer and increasing the water intake to even think about leaning out.

So Kudos to all who are taking care of themselves, I'm getting better at it but at 37 I am still more used to that youthful resiliency and need to face reality that those days are long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I'm getting better at it but at 37 I am still more used to that youthful resiliency and need to face reality that those days are long gone.
    37?...oh come on buddy, you're still a kid...!!!....lol. Believe me, at 57 I'm still goat hunting, so if I can do it, those days you're callin' "long gone" are only "long gone" in your mind if you let them be.

I just try and weigh it out.....how much I want to continue feeling good while out hunting, compared to how much I want to feel good eating ice cream on the couch. I figure if I live to be 80, I'll probably have a good solid 10 years of doing nothing but eating ice cream on the couch. So for now I'll try and stay somewhat in shape and enjoy doing something I like to do more.....lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I know those days are not gone, but the ability to do those things without any effort or physical preparation are. I can still do them now at the drop of a hat, but the consequences for the next few days are stark for sure compared to back when.

As said, I'm at the transition stage when I realize that endurance and muscle tone are no longer free. However, it is nice that when one does start taking better care of themselves, you soon feel very good. When I was 25 and I felt good everyday no matter what, it wasn't as appreciated.

Catch it, don't worry it gets eaier with age

(don't tell him I'm lying)
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA

One of my favorite annual reads is "BURNING DAYLIGHT" by Jack London (Massive amount of "Relevant" wisdom in that book for men of all ages) You can read it on-line for free: ( http://london.sonoma.edu/Writings/BurningDaylight/ ) But you will most likely want to find a hard bound copy, if you have a young man with miss-placed priorities in his life. At 67 y/o I still read it every year.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    37?...oh come on buddy, you're still a kid...!!!....lol. Believe me, at 57 I'm still goat hunting, so if I can do it, those days you're callin' "long gone" are only "long gone" in your mind if you let them be..

I'm finding that cutting way back on carbs and no Sugar makes life so much better with exercise or not.
    Not having the highs and lows of blood sugar and energy. It makes your mind more clear and focus longer at tasks with steady energy all day long.
    Eat Primal = No grains or sugars
    Meat, seafood.eggs, Lots of vegetables mostly Above ground Dark leafy, nuts,& seeds, & good fats

Longevity is inversely related to girth.
    NRA Lifetime Member

One of my favorite annual reads is "BURNING DAYLIGHT" by Jack London (Massive amount of "Relevant" wisdom in that book for men of all ages) You can read it on-line for free: ( http://london.sonoma.edu/Writings/BurningDaylight/ ) But you will most likely want to find a hard bound copy, if you have a young man with miss-placed priorities in his life. At 67 y/o I still read it every year.
    Just finished reading Burning Daylight. Great read .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast