Thread: Non Res draw question??

Default Non Res draw question??

Well gonna set up a deer hunt after the draw comes out.Just got a call from my oldest brother saying he wants to come up next fall. Looking into the draw supplement and were we hunt on kodiak there is a 100% draw rate on non res but was reading into it and the exclusive guide rights only let them put in as many try's as there are tags for.Wondering if a Non Res puts in with next of kin if it takes a tag from said guide?Just trying to clarify the 100% rate.So guess my question is what is the draw rate on the next of kin?Random like a res?.Gonna call fish and game but hoped a few of you guides could answer my question?

Sure you are looking at the right draw? Nonresidents hunting with AK residents need to put in for DB2** hunts not DB1** hunts. Pretty sure there are no 100% draw odds for your brother but I could be wrong.

Maybe I'm wrong? First time trying this.

On page 2 of the supplement you will see two sets of draws for Kodiak. Your brother needs to put in for the ones on the left hand side(DB2** hunts). These hunts are for residents and non res hunting with AK relatives. The hunts are the right are for non res hunting with a registered guide. Good luck in the draw!

There are very limited tags for those hunting with 2nd degree kindred on Kodiak and TMA sheep. I applied for years with my non resident brother and a tag on Kodiak never happened. As soon as I put in by myself as a resident I drew a tag.

2nd degree kin tags come from the resident tag pool, the DB2## series. The percent chance to draw those are low no matter what.

A maximum of 4 permits in the spring and 4 permits in the fall are awarded to 2nd degree kindred hunters for Kodiak bears. As soon as those 8 non-residents are drawn then all other 2nd degree kindred applicants are no longer in the drawing along with their resident connection if they apply as a party.

The odds are low for everyone but if you don't apply you have no chance at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHUNTINFOOL View Post
    A maximum of 4 permits in the spring and 4 permits in the fall are awarded to 2nd degree kindred hunters for Kodiak bears. As soon as those 8 non-residents are drawn then all other 2nd degree kindred applicants are no longer in the drawing along with their resident connection if they apply as a party.

The odds are low for everyone but if you don't apply you have no chance at all.
    That's good infor to know!...as I have been putting in my non-res brother-in-law for Kodiak bears for many years now, but only as single drawing, never party!....thanks akhuntinfool!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner