Thread: ulus & getting close

Very interesting, nothing wasted and the stalk was very cool.

Thanks for sharing.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks! There are several vids on the webpage worth watching.

That was great! Thanks for posting that link. It shows an entirely different perspective on spot and stalk technique. There is a very fine separation between those hunters and the animals they hunt. Did you notice how she cleaned out the small intestine and formed a daisy chain for drying? She didn't even rinse them out. I like to eat all parts of the seal but that part, and I don't remember what it is called, has never tasted good to me. If you watch part two of that series you will have an appreciation for patience and sitting still in ambush. I really enjoy watching those master hunters in action.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    That was great! Thanks for posting that link. It shows an entirely different perspective on spot and stalk technique. There is a very fine separation between those hunters and the animals they hunt. Did you notice how she cleaned out the small intestine and formed a daisy chain for drying? She didn't even rinse them out. I like to eat all parts of the seal but that part, and I don't remember what it is called, has never tasted good to me. If you watch part two of that series you will have an appreciation for patience and sitting still in ambush. I really enjoy watching those master hunters in action.
    Master hunter - appropriate label, for sure.

True subsistance lifestyle with the whole family involved and the young learning.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I would imagine that at least some of them are still doing it the same way today.

Pretty amazing really.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Can you post a link to part 2? It was very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Can you post a link to part 2? It was very interesting.

Here it is, they are listed alphabetically.

http://www.nfb.ca/film/stalking_seal...ing_ice_part_2
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Fishing the stone wier is great also,maybe better.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Intestines around here are referred to 'Inga-lok" in Inupiaq, I belive the name of them as an organ and the 'dish' when boiled, braided intestins (to be cleaned and cooked later), as usually the Seal only looses his lungs and the crap in the intestins when diassembled out on the ice. The intestines can be eaten, or at that timma year, cleaned, blown up , dried, scraped and made into extremly durable water proof clothing to wear over fur. Rubberized garmets are comparable, but they were only tough when dampend, as the crumble when dry....

You might rememebr the man is Iternmonyak, his wife Tingook , I for got the boys name. All three were years later in the Farley Mowat written movie "Never Cry Wolf" the boy hunted Wolves to buy teeth......if youve seen it anyways....funny as it is , Tingook is also one of my sister inlaw's name "Liver'

In the years we homschooled the kids,it was a series sent to us for cirriculum, like 16 parts.

"Master Hunter' ..........yep,.........that tital as 1st Class, with Oak Leaf clusters, Swords and Diamonds........

My oldest son and his pard doing the same thing, rifle as a back up.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Man can have the skill to hunt that way if wanted but most choose technology to cover lack of skill. Once used to technology many never try to learn the skills.

Old skills are best known and practised, but 'New skills', adaptions and keeping the 'best' is the way arctic folks advanced, most are happy with getting the same meals with new tecnologie....and, of course, old ways that work arent forgotten or unused, usually, they are amongst a number of "tricks' a good Hunter will know I have personally come to grips wih not being able to use a rifle and yet persue game, its aint easy.

This mix's it up pretty good ....... see if it plays;

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Amigo Well said. Nothing wrong with technology but skills alway suffer. Does not matter whether it is using a gps or a lighter.
    As almost always you are right on.
    wes

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post

This mix's it up pretty good ....... see if it plays;

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    This is what came up when I clicked on it:

This content is currently unavailable

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks Stid. I could not find the link. This was very interesting to me. I had never saw anyone stalk like he did.

thanks Wesley for the vid!!...very interesting!!,,,thanks stranger too, for your pics!!

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Shuks....maybe you gotta log into facebook? It worked for me 4merguide when I clicked on the adress on your post.....

anywhoo, its a vid of a Canadian Inuit useing his Mk#4 LeeEnfeild to Pop a decent sized Seal through his breathing hole, along a crack inthe ice, then putting his hook into it and the vid ends, as he obviously still needed to chip the ice, and pull em out.

still these things and way are still happening and viable, but exactly what Amigo says, its Skill. Ive often seen those who try to use tecnologie without skill. The animals and their behaviours havent changed, and getting close enough should be learned first and formost.