Thread: How long does glow last

Default How long does glow last

Pictures of glow lures. One with light on, second 2 minutes, third 12 minutes later.lures 002.jpglures 009.jpg

if you want more glow get a small light an BATTERY they have them cheep use it up an get a new one SID

Duration depends on how it was initially illuminated and water temp. Best way by far to light them up is to hit garage sales for an old battery op photo strobe. Doesn't have to be big or fancy. Just hold it up against the glow and pop it a couple of times. Most glow products glow so bright afterward, you can even see them in broad daylight. Lasts lots longer in the water too, no matter how cold.

They actually make a camera flash just for charging glow lures. Sportsmans warehouse has them.they are fairly cheap too.
    My glow jigs have a glow that lasts for several hours in testing in a dark room.
    I have had a friend get real suprised waking up at midnight and seeing the jigs glowing like crazy. According to him it was still glowing in the morning some 6 or 8 hours later but very dimly.
    I use super glow powder paints on many of my jigs. I have also tried super glo vinyl paints from barlows and they are super bright as well but more of a pain to paint with and must be clear coated with epoxy or they will react with soft plastics.
    here is a pic of a downrigger weight I made for Drifter016.

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

These were just in the office under regular fluorescent lights for about 20 mins.

These are my preffered Glow paints.
    For powder paint I like this one from ProTec. I buy it in 1 pound canisters. It isn't cheap compared to standard colors but is the best glow powder I have found anywhere.
    http://www.barlowstackle.com/Epoxy-F...-P951C132.aspx

For a vinyl jig paint this is my preffered paint. It is very expensive and requires their special thinner as well. Also most places will not ship this to Alaska. Fortunately I have vendors who will work with me on this.
    But this is what I made the downrigger weight with I sealed it with devcon 2 ton epoxy.All vinyl paints should be sealed as they will react with many plastics and not cure properly.
    I charged the downrigger weight with a led flashlight for a couple of minutes to get it to glow like that.
    http://www.barlowstackle.com/Vinyl-F...-P961C132.aspx

Chris, I've been using Pro Tec glow paint and putting a coat of UV Blast over the paint, I've been having problems withe the UV coating cracking. Have you experienced this?

Quote Originally Posted by kbarnes View Post
    Chris, I've been using Pro Tec glow paint and putting a coat of UV Blast over the paint, I've been having problems withe the UV coating cracking. Have you experienced this?
    No I've never had a problem with the UV blast in any way.
    I take it you are using a fluid bed?
    I have a few fluid beds so what I do is I heat the jigs in the oven for big stuff and a heat gun for smaller stuff.
    When they are up to temp I dip in my base coat in one fluid bed then my super glow powder in another fluid bed.
    If I am using the airbrush for accent colors then I use it then dip in a third fluid bed containing the UV blast.
    I hang the jig to cool. Then when they are cool I clean the eyes on the jigs.
    After that I put then into the oven again to cure. I usually cure ~350 for ~25 minutes or so. Powder paints need to be cured for them to fully harden and hold up like they should.
    I know ProTec has a sheet you can print that shows the cure times and temps for each of their powder paints. But I use the same time and temp for most things and have not had issues.