Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anchorage gun show saturday/sunday

Default anchorage gun show saturday/sunday

There is a gun show this weekend at the Church on jewel lake rd. just in time for Christmas. e.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 426nut View Post
    There is a gun show this weekend at the Church on jewel lake rd. just in time for Christmas. e.
    I appreciate the heads up….I might stop by to browse for a few minuts. Sadly ever since around 2008 I have become a bit jaded with guns shows, and last year with the scalpers prices I found myself disgusted to the point i just refused to buy anything from most of the vendors….. sadly it seems like good deals (or sometimes...even reasonable deals) are getting harder and harder to find on the individual market. I realize that 90 percent of the problem sadly enough is the general public that are willing to pay exuberant prices that create a demand for this inflated market…..however it does take a-lot of the fun and excitement out for me.

On the bright side….Once upon a time I would find some truly unique displays or other items at these events….maybe even meet some intresting folks - and the social aspect alone, would make the trip worth while…. I might stop in and see if some sanity has returned to the sport.

I agree, I mostly go to see old friends. I find it amusing to see the same guns for sale by different vendors year after year. Don't get me wrong, there are occasionally fresh firearms offered, but for the last year or so if you are not interested in a black gun, save your money and stay home. e.

Default change the trend..

Why don't you pack up a bunch of your guns and stuff and come down and sell them cheap?

Of course that isn't going to happen.

I rarely go to a gun show without finding a few bargains on something. The trick is to have an open mind and know the value of stuff. If you are going to try and find a bargain on a particular item then you are probably going to be disappointed.

The last show there the only thing I got was an older tang safety Ruger M77 stock. I picked up a real nice one for $50. It made the show worthwhile as I had been looking for one for a while - they are hard to find anymore.

The show last year I found not one but 2 Ruger Redhawk .45 LCs with 5 1/2" barrels at very good prices. I had been looking for one for a while and just kept my eyes open until I found one. The other was at a price too good to pass up. The I stumbled across a third one at GNGs in the spring, again at a very good price but that is another story.

You just have to keep your eyes open, be flexiable, and be knowledgable. I'll be there tomorrow morning and I'm sure I'll pick up a few goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanTides View Post
    I appreciate the heads up….I might stop by to browse for a few minuts. Sadly ever since around 2008 I have become a bit jaded with guns shows, and last year with the scalpers prices I found myself disgusted to the point i just refused to buy anything from most of the vendors….. sadly it seems like good deals (or sometimes...even reasonable deals) are getting harder and harder to find on the individual market. I realize that 90 percent of the problem sadly enough is the general public that are willing to pay exuberant prices that create a demand for this inflated market…..however it does take a-lot of the fun and excitement out for me.

On the bright side….Once upon a time I would find some truly unique displays or other items at these events….maybe even meet some intresting folks - and the social aspect alone, would make the trip worth while…. I might stop in and see if some sanity has returned to the sport.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Black Friday gun prices in Lower 48 are nuts.

The few I remember: glock for 499 and Rem 700 for sub-$500.

There was even fun/good stuff for south of $300.

In a Cabelas advert.

Default No Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Why don't you pack up a bunch of your guns and stuff and come down and sell them cheap?

Of course that isn't going to happen.

I rarely go to a gun show without finding a few bargains on something. The trick is to have an open mind and know the value of stuff. If you are going to try and find a bargain on a particular item then you are probably going to be disappointed.

The last show there the only thing I got was an older tang safety Ruger M77 stock. I picked up a real nice one for $50. It made the show worthwhile as I had been looking for one for a while - they are hard to find anymore.

The show last year I found not one but 2 Ruger Redhawk .45 LCs with 5 1/2" barrels at very good prices. I had been looking for one for a while and just kept my eyes open until I found one. The other was at a price too good to pass up. The I stumbled across a third one at GNGs in the spring, again at a very good price but that is another story.

You just have to keep your eyes open, be flexiable, and be knowledgable. I'll be there tomorrow morning and I'm sure I'll pick up a few goodies.
    I never suggested that anyone sell their personal collection for cheap…. That takes my whole rant of topic.

Last Year and as well in 2008….. the same old scalpers would be waiting outside for sportsman's to open so they could by their limit of 22 lr everyday and at the same time have their wives and all of her friends by some… with the sole intent of selling these at a 500 percent mark-up at the upcoming gun show.

This is just one example of many……. I personally don't care what you sell at the gun-show and for how much … Its a free country and thats your right…. Just as much as it is mine when i choose not to buy it, and as a consumer If i see you scalping during a panic….I can promise I will not be giving you my business ever again.

Its this exact same line of thinking that has soured me and thousands of other shootist in our shooting community on gun show vendors. Im not saying every vendor there is bad Im just saying that enough of them are nowadays..(And even worse are the consumers that pay way over inflated panic prices) because they ruin the market for the rest of the shooting community.

That being said….. I still might stop by a gun show just to see whats there ….But I and many others I know choose to miss a lot more shows now then we used to…. and that type of reclusion in our shooting community is never good.

Sorry about the rant. Im done now

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanTides View Post
    Last Year and as well in 2008….. the same old scalpers would be waiting outside for sportsman's to open so they could by their limit of 22 lr everyday and at the same time have their wives and all of her friends by some… with the sole intent of selling these at a 500 percent mark-up at the upcoming gun show.[...]Its this exact same line of thinking that has soured me and thousands of other shootist in our shooting community on gun show vendors. Im not saying every vendor there is bad Im just saying that enough of them are nowadays..(And even worse are the consumers that pay way over inflated panic prices) because they ruin the market for the rest of the shooting community.
    I've been trying to get this point across for the better part of two years now. We are own worse enemy. If we would just stop playing the game, the price bubble would collapse. Thanks for not buying into the panic. That makes two of us.

Most stuff at the gun shows is over priced but there are still a few good prices on the oddball stuff that I'm usually looking for. I usually come away from a show with enough to make the trip worthwhile. This one falls on my work week and even though I work nights, there isn't enough time in the day for me to drive to south town and back home and get ready for work and still get some sleep. I'll have to miss this one.

At least you guys down that way have enough gun shows that you can have philosophical discussions about overpriced guns and ammo, and scalpers and whatever else. I think your shows are better for buying overall than they are for selling. We here in Fairbanks used to have a healthy gun show schedule too with 2 or 3 in the local high schools, but they've fallen away over the years. We've already had our 2 fall shows, and the next show here won't be until the end of February. A new show at the Carlson Center was added this past fall, so with that one, we have 5 shows a year in our area. If you want to count the show in Delta Jct in April, that makes 6.

Quote Originally Posted by AkRay View Post
    [...]we have 5 shows a year in our area. If you want to count the show in Delta Jct in April, that makes 6.
    That's about how many we have in Tampa (more actually), of course, those are so big they fill a hall bigger than the arena where the Aces play. But I haven't been to one of those shows since the late 90's (LOONG before coming to AK). I finally figured out that, even before the evil president-heck this was during the Clinton days-that gun show deals just weren't deals. I would buy a gun for maybe $10-20 less than I could buy it at a shop in town, still pay the $8 NCIS check fee, if buying a handgun I still had to wait 3 days (which meant I STILL had to go to the shop in town) AND pay $5 parking and $5 admission. I haven't been to a gun show since December 1998.

Although, to be fair, I did once get a deal on a Dillon 550 kit, and I did sell some guns there (Before they closed the "gunshow loophole" I could put a cleaning rod in a barrel with a post card sign with a price on it, carry it around the show, and someone would buy it before the day was over.) and if you're looking for vintage/antique guns, they're still a good option, because every dealer in town, in the state, will be there and it saves me calling and driving all over the state looking for whatever rare antiquity I'm looking for.

But yeah, overall, I don't much bother with them anymore.

I have a question.......What is it that you Alaskan guys do for WORK/Employment......??? Really......My guess is that most of you ain't flipping burgers for minimum wage. I hear all this sniveling about prices. Maybe if you guys would ask you employer if you could get unemployed like the people you seem to loath who are waiting outside Sportsmans.

You want stuff at 2008 prices.........roll your back ALL of your pay increases to 2008......sounds fair.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have a question.......What is it that you Alaskan guys do for WORK/Employment......??? Really......My guess is that most of you ain't flipping burgers for minimum wage. I hear all this sniveling about prices. Maybe if you guys would ask you employer if you could get unemployed like the people you seem to loath who are waiting outside Sportsmans.

You want stuff at 2008 prices.........roll your back ALL of your pay increases to 2008......sounds fair.
    Nah, we don't want to get raped by a greedy old son of a gun that thinks his used crap is worth as much as new.....thats all.
    BK

I'll admit my wages have gone up some since 2008 but not the 600% that 22 ammo has at the gunshows.

The only reason that scalpers have done so well since the last Obamascare is that stupid people bought from them.... which ruined it for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    The only reason that scalpers have done so well since the last Obamascare is that stupid people bought from them.... which ruined it for the rest of us.
    Agreed. I refuse to scalp or pay scalper prices for ammo.

And for the record AGL:

Some of us sink or swim on the strength of the economy regardless of how hard we paddle. I know several people (myself included) who are making less than we did in 2008, even before adjusting for inflation.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

AlaskaTides:
    I understand what your'e sayin, and I agree.

As far as I can tell, most of the Regular Vendors don't even WANT to sell anything, particularly the ones at the AGCA shows. They just like to be there, I guess. I've seen the SAME guns on the tables for YEARS, and they are always overpriced. (If they weren't they would sell.) IMO, most of them just aren't very good at marketing.

They can do what they want. It's no skin off my hiney. I've learned to recognize and remember them, so don't waste my time on'em. A lot of their stuff is JUNK anyway.

I like the shows where there is a percentage of normal people who are selling off guns that they no longer enjoy or can enjoy, so they can buy other guns.

I've gotten some very nice guns at gunshows. Some real treasures and I know some vendors that always have something interesting.

I'm not ready to give them up, and I hope they don't go away.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

I'm a part time, substitute teacher at ASD. Sometimes, if an opportunity comes up, I work temp at an aviation job. I've been either unemployed or underemployed for the last ten years. So I don't want to hear any crap about giving up pay raises I've never gotten or unemployed people people scalping ammo. They're on the same level as drug dealers in my book.

So do you make more or less than $662.00 per month.........???

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    Agreed. I refuse to scalp or pay scalper prices for ammo.

And for the record AGL:

Some of us sink or swim on the strength of the economy regardless of how hard we paddle. I know several people (myself included) who are making less than we did in 2008, even before adjusting for inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    And for the record AGL:

Yea no joke. I wish I or my wife were making now what we were in 08 . . . We make about half that now not even counting the all paid Cadillac insurance that got pulled. Fuel, food, heating, everything is a lot more now but not income . . . Anyone making more now likely got it by cola and even those come slower or are less % than they used to be.

It’s this feeling of instability, feeling like the whole world is teetering that drives people to buy ammo at indecently inflated prices . . . Just the opposite of having more disposable income, they have less but feel they better get what they can before they have no income at all and regret not buying when they could. Those that take advantage of others desperation are just as FL2AK says, like drug dealers. Sure make some money on selling if you can but taking advantage of the desperate to mark something up 500% isn’t the American way!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

No...problem, why not just buy it at the gun stores, GNG, Boondocks, Mountain View, etc. ????

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I'll admit my wages have gone up some since 2008 but not the 600% that 22 ammo has at the gunshows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast