Thread: Kahiltna

Default Kahiltna

Just curious, how far up river can a guy safely go up before it gets to rocky? What's the lower end of the river like?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    Just curious, how far up river can a guy safely go up before it gets to rocky? What's the lower end of the river like?
    Not far
    Fly over it & check it out.
    Check it out on Google earth. There's a boat going up , my guess is to the cabin
    on the N bank, 2-3/4 miles up. Bet they know the river well.
    After that it gets worse.

Many years ago (1980s) we went up a mile with no problems, (spring) .
    (25 Johnson with a shearpin )
    Faster water than the Yetna.
    Got scary looking for our 16' jon boat.
    After that several rocks & boulders , lots of hidden ones.

There's a reason no one is running that river.

Better be on your "A" game the day you run very far up the Kahiltna.

Go up it in March, it's safer. LOL

Not sure how far they tried to go but I seen two boats that tried it that came back totaled and another that wasn't looking too good after running it. If you run it, make sure you have insurance or just really don't care what happens to the boat.

"Safely Go?"... Not very Far....! too many big rocks, too close together...!

Pulling on an old thread . . . .

How far up the Kahiltna from the confluence with the Yentna, could an inflatable Alaska Jet Ranger with a 25hp outboard jet go?
    (It's OK to bounce a rubber boat off boulders a few times, and I can drift back downstream like a raft, because it is one.)

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

I going to have too agree with BluNosDav it does not look that bad from the air, theirs only one rock garden. If you can make it through it your home free. From that I can tell it's only 30 miles long.

The first rock garden is about 7-8 miles up. Easy to do when the water is high, if you know where to main rocks are. Going downstream is a whole different ball game, its fast paced and you better be on your game. Once past the first 12-13 miles its pretty easy, not bad. Be cautious on the water that may appear slow, there is lots of bedrock that is exposed in the river, and most boulders are sitting directly on it. I do not recommend it at all when the water is low or even below normal, it turns into a complete rock fest during hunting season. There is plenty of aluminum on the lower rocks from people pushing it during hunting season. If you check it out in the winter, you will see how many rocks there are haha. Take a boat that's already beat to hell, that way it wont look bad when you get back. The farthest I've been up is to the bottom of the sizeable rock garden, 7-8 miles up, but also I have been on the upper portion 20+ miles up with a buddy that stashed his boat after bringing it in by sled. There really isn't much worth seeing up the kahiltna anyways, its hunted pretty good from both sides, and easier and cheaper to 4 wheel to it. Much more to see up past Youngstown bend, and less people too. Also if your taking a inflatable, the boulders and rocks are roundish, but a few are sharp. The bedrock is very sharp angled shale and dikes. Also beware of the cable crossing near peters creek, I don't know if its still there but be on the lookout. About the coolest thing on the whole river to checkout is the giant split boulder.

Given the small amount of snow-pack this past winter, what are the chances that the Kahiltna River can be crossed (forded) by ATV (or Argo) via the trail from Peters Creek this September?
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

The kahiltna is primarily a glacial melt river, and it changes more quickly from my experience. I would never consider a atv, only a argo if you have a motor on it. Full size moose buggies and dozers walk across it farther upstream where it is more braided and in 3 channels. I have seen the kahiltna flooding late in the season due to rains and also very low too. The highest I have ever seen it was in mid july when it was really hot. I would not try a atv at all.