Thread: Sea ducks!

Default Sea ducks!

Made it out to Whittier with my dad and a buddy. Managed to scratch down pair of surf scoters, common mergansers, Barrow's goldeneyes, and harlequin! The drakes were all beautiful except the darn harlie! Had to chase one of the scoters but dropped the drake dead in the decoys! Has anyone ever crippled a merganser? We lost 2 of them, it was all the way across the way before we could get to the boat! One cripple got away and another taken by a seal... I'll try to post some pictures but it was a great hunt!

I try to pass on all mergansers so not sure how they do when they are crippled. The 2 that I shot when I was a kid were stone dead when they hit the water. I do have to admit though, I am interested in a hooded merganser for taxidermy purposes.

Congrats on the hunt, sea ducks are special and very fun to hunt.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

In my limited experience sea ducks hold their breath a lot longer and swim much farther than other ducks. We had a cripple the other day the swam over a 1/2 mile. We found her on the outside of the bay we were hunting on our way out still swimming along. Ive also watched one go underwater and hold its breath for what seemed like about 2 minutes or more. If you wound them keep a sharp eye out in every direction theres no telling where they will go.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Longtails are the deepest diving sea duck. Over 600 foot if memory recalls.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I try to pass on all mergansers so not sure how they do when they are crippled. The 2 that I shot when I was a kid were stone dead when they hit the water. I do have to admit though, I am interested in a hooded merganser for taxidermy purposes.

Congrats on the hunt, sea ducks are special and very fun to hunt.
    I would normally pass on them if there were better birds but I wanted one of the common drakes for a mount, I love how their breasts look with the tinted orange color. And man I used to crush the hooded down in Washington! Beautiful birds we just always found some reason to eat it and shoot a better one. The ones I shot didn't dive they flapped across the surface weirdest thing I've seen but it was gone in before I could get to the boat.

They dive forever if you have ever watched them feed they are down for even longer. I've never had a long tail dive on me but scoters are pretty difficult luckily our cripple had a broken wing and leg so it didn't get to far