Thread: Who has the BEST Moose Chili Recipe???

Default Who has the BEST Moose Chili Recipe???

Who had the best Moose Chili Recipe???

All I know is that if you deep fry the tags, and season them with salt ... they may pretty good crackers.

Wouldn't want to share my triall recipe to my worst enemy...Note to self don't and ghost pepper to chili.Not a good after meal experience lol! No wonder the scientific name is Bhut Jolokia found out the hard way.Like I've heard you gonna be dumb you gotta be tough haha, ouch we're is the ice cream!!

Chili is chili. The meat used is largely irrelevant.

Here's my recipe--it's involved and lengthy but it's also won numerous competitions.

Ingredients:
    3lbs meat (ground or stew)
    5 cloves garlic (crushed)
    5 beef bullion cubes or 2 TBSP beef base
    1/4 cup chili powder
    3 medium onions (white, yellow or sweet) 2 chopped, 1 minced
    1 bottle beer (amber or porter)
    12 -15 Anaheim chili peppers, chopped (roasted/seeded)
    1/2 gal tomato juice
    8 oz tomato paste
    2 cans each, white, red, black beans (drained)
    1/4 cup cocoa powder

Roast the chilis on your grill or in the broiler. Grill on high and turn them occasionally until the skin blisters and chars a bit. If cooked in the broiler place on a cookie sheet, broil for about 10 minutes, turn once and broil for another 10 minutes. After cooking place in gallon zip-loc bag and let sweat until warm to the touch. After sweating, the skins will peel off easily. Skin, remove stems & seeds, chop, place in a bowl and set aside
    This can be done in advance and the prepped chili stores well in the freezer.

In a large stock pot or casserole brown the meat over medium heat. If using game meat, first heat 1/4 cup oil then add meat. When the meat is mostly brown add garlic and minced onion. Once the meat is brown add the remaining onions and stir until they turn clear then add beer, bullion, & chili powder and stir until alcohol cooks off.

Stir in tomato paste until it's fully incorporated then add tomato juice. Turn heat to high, bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, and reduce to simmer.

Add cocoa (not a typo)

Add green chili and beans, stirring occasionally (scraping bottom) until beans come to temp (about 20 minutes).

It's important to add the beans last otherwise they'll fall apart from all the stirring.

The heat will depend on the chilis and chili powder. If the chili isn't hot enough you can add cayenne to taste.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Here's a great steak chili recipe. I normally use venison steak, but will be making a batch with caribou steak this weekend. Everyone loves this chili.

http://genxfinance.com/award-winning...-for-under-25/

This one turned out pretty good.....1.5 lbs moose burger, cooked with garlic and basil, 2 cans each: black, pinto, and red beans, onion, and 1 small can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce...with cheddar-jalapeno cornbread and a cuppa San Fran Bay organic coffee (fresh ground, of course!)

" Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    This one turned out pretty good.....1.5 lbs moose burger, cooked with garlic and basil, 2 cans each: black, pinto, and red beans, onion, and 1 small can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce...with cheddar-jalapeno cornbread and a cuppa San Fran Bay organic coffee (fresh ground, of course!)

Looks awesome,, care to share your cornbread recipe??
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Looks awesome,, care to share your cornbread recipe??
    Marie Callendars and water....lol....used to make it from scratch but the mixes are pretty awesome, I like Jiffy too....just added some grated cheese and a can of jals....any kind of pumpkin pie spice on top (nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, cloves) makes it super yummy Slather with butter and honey, rinse, repeat....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg