Thread: Great start to the trapping season! - Pic's.

Default Great start to the trapping season! - Pic's.

Season is starting out great! Had our first trapping client here for the first two weeks of the season. I was able to help him get a lynx, wolverine, otter and marten. Our packages only allow one of each animal. Anyhow, all animals he got he was going to do full body mounts for his home in Maryland.
    But no clients for awhile, so now I'm just running the line for myself and the family! Things going good. Picture from last week with current catches:

Claude
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1737.jpg   IMG_2254.jpg  
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Beautiful cat! Congratulations!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Looks good Claude! Save a few for when I come up calling!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Looks good Claude! Save a few for when I come up calling!
    No doubt! That's what I was thinking when I saw those pictures. I took my first two lynx on a trip out to Claude's place two years ago and am hoping to replicate that success this coming February.

Leave some for us, Claude!

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Season is starting out great! Had our first trapping client here for the first two weeks of the season. I was able to help him get a lynx, wolverine, otter and marten. Our packages only allow one of each animal. Anyhow, all animals he got he was going to do full body mounts for his home in Maryland.
    But no clients for awhile, so now I'm just running the line for myself and the family! Things going good. Picture from last week with current catches:

Claude
    Hey Claude, when you say you had a trapping client, what does that mean exactly? Did he assist you on your trapline or did he just stay at your place and run his own trapline. I would definitely be interested in coming out to your place sometime to do some predator hunting. How much do you charge for guys to come out to your place to do some predator hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    How much do you charge for guys to come out to your place to do some predator hunting?
    Jack - Take a look at their website for a list of prices and such. http://alpinecreeklodge.com/?page_id=68 They don't charge any more if you're hunting, and to top it off they have a heated skinning shed if you're successful. I've been out there two times now, and while I wasn't successful the second time around, it's a phenomenal time of solitude and there are certainly critters to be had. Coming back to the warm lodge and a great meal at night, well...that's an excellent way to predator hunt!

Bushwhack, Brian's right on! We don't charge anymore than the room rate if your doing your own thing. For predator hunting, you can hunt anywhere around here, and all the way across the highway. For trapping, I do guided trapping tours, and the client makes their own sets after I give them some instruction, then we run the line for 1 to 2 weeks, or more depending upon how long the client has booked in. The new and improved this fall heated skinning shed is awesome! Room rates are $75 per night, per person in the main lodge, and $65 a night per person in any of the cabins, and that includes all your meals.

Claude

Well done Claude, nice looking furs and a very unique service for those wanting a taste of Alaska. I will put your place on my bucket list! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones!
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Jack - Take a look at their website for a list of prices and such. http://alpinecreeklodge.com/?page_id=68 They don't charge any more if you're hunting, and to top it off they have a heated skinning shed if you're successful. I've been out there two times now, and while I wasn't successful the second time around, it's a phenomenal time of solitude and there are certainly critters to be had. Coming back to the warm lodge and a great meal at night, well...that's an excellent way to predator hunt!

Bushwhack, Brian's right on! We don't charge anymore than the room rate if your doing your own thing. For predator hunting, you can hunt anywhere around here, and all the way across the highway. For trapping, I do guided trapping tours, and the client makes their own sets after I give them some instruction, then we run the line for 1 to 2 weeks, or more depending upon how long the client has booked in. The new and improved this fall heated skinning shed is awesome! Room rates are $75 per night, per person in the main lodge, and $65 a night per person in any of the cabins, and that includes all your meals.

Claude
    Wow! What a deal. I think I will be making a trip there soon.

N​ice critters Brian! Want sled are you running???
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    N​ice critters Brian! Want sled are you running???
    A 800 RMK that I borrowed from my brother. I don't have a sled of my own, but he's always been generous enough to loan me one a couple times a year.

I love this. Nice job.

Good looking cat Claude! Check out a publication called the trapper an predator caller, might be a good place to do some advertising! Been reading that since I was a kid!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

How does that work Claude? Do your clients need to buy a non res trapping license, I am assuming so. So do they just give you a gentlemans agreement that they can only trap one of each critter? I mean if they have a license and are making the sets, then aren't those critters property of the trapper who makes the sets?

Not trying to stir anything up, just curious as guided trapping is something relatively unique, at least it seems that way.

Thanks Jake! I'll check it out. dk, yes, they have to purchase the non-resident trapping license. And yes, it's a gentlemen's agreement. Our packages include lodging, meals, traps, bait, lure, snow machines, and anything else the client might need. It's a trapping tour. Some folks will pay the higher price to keep all their furs they catch, but that's up to them. Still working on a new price structure to include both deals, since I'm finding a good number of my clients are looking for one of each Alaskan animals they can catch. This makes the trapping more targeted, as we can adjust sets/bait/lure for certain animals after they take a species. Such as, we get a cat, then we change or move the set to target wolverine, wolves or whatever else is next on the list. No worries on stirring anything up! Questions are always good to hear, and I might have missed something.

Claude

Sounds like a heck of an opportunity for people to experience trapping in Alaska for sure. Thanks for the reply. Do you find most of them are L48 trappers wanting to try trapping Alaska, or newbies to trapping. Either way, pretty cool.

Most of them are lower 48 trappers that really want to add a lynx and wolverine to their catches. Makes it easier for me if they know trapping up front. After I give them the general idea on how to trap the type of critter they are looking for, then I let them pick where they want to set, and let them choose the bait and lure out of my bag. As you can imagine, most folks want to make their own sets, and do as much as they can. We keep 60 to 100 miles of line out at all times, and while they are here they use those lines as well. They just add sets. When we picked up the wolverine last week, the fellow jumped off his machine and did snow angels he was so happy!

When we picked up the wolverine last week, the fellow jumped off his machine and did snow angels he was so happy!
    I think I would too...!!!.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Most of them are lower 48 trappers that really want to add a lynx and wolverine to their catches. Makes it easier for me if they know trapping up front. After I give them the general idea on how to trap the type of critter they are looking for, then I let them pick where they want to set, and let them choose the bait and lure out of my bag. As you can imagine, most folks want to make their own sets, and do as much as they can. We keep 60 to 100 miles of line out at all times, and while they are here they use those lines as well. They just add sets. When we picked up the wolverine last week, the fellow jumped off his machine and did snow angels he was so happy!
    Thats a very neat (and unique?) opportunity your providing there Claude, the kind of innovation it takes to make an operation like your succeeed (financially anyhow) I suspect. We'll see you again soon, this winter if I can build a bit more confidence in my wifes machine, some kind of clutch issue still I think...

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I think I would too...!!!.......lol
    I forgot to add... I'd be making angels, praying, crying... etc. too...